Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sounds like Morris is out

sumthing dont feel right here...we are not who we thought we were..plain and simple...i mean all we were told was ..a top headcoach and top assistants yet we get a tier 2 coach who i will say was my choice behind briles after the pipedreams..and now we cant seem to even get the big name oc to commit..i know its not over but if it end up watson or major then color me way unimpressed..

Edited by colepeyton

i'm guilty of it too, but too often we place a huge burden on BMDs to just front cash for a coordinator. 5.2. mil is a crap ton of money.

if UT called any one of you and said "hey, we can have chad morris, but you'll need to write a check for 10k right now" how many of you would do it?

i think every fan of a tier 1 program is often guilty of relying too much on BMDs

sumthing dont feel right here...we are not who we thought we were..plain and simple...i mean all we were told was ..a top headcoach and top assistants yet we get a tier 2 coach who i will say was my choice behind briles after the pipedreams..and now we cant seem to even get the big name oc to commit..i know its not over but if it end up watson or major then color me way unimpressed..

My guess is it was not a commit issue it was the 5.2 mil buyout that caused the problem.

Are you serious? You must be a joy to live with.

you realize his buyout was over 5 million right? Im sure someone could have paid it, but just looks like things couldnt work out exactly because he's already the highest paid asst in the country and is up for Head jobs already

Texas will make a good hire. You realize multiple people are on the list right? Wickline is in play for OL as well. Relax

i'm guilty of it too, but too often we place a huge burden on BMDs to just front cash for a coordinator. 5.2. mil is a crap ton of money.

if UT called any one of you and said "hey, we can have chad morris, but you'll need to write a check for 10k right now" how many of you would do it?

i think every fan of a tier 1 program is often guilty of relying too much on BMDs

I would cough up $10k...but only if I get a statue. Otherwise, probably not. I see your point.

If it's Morris with his big buyout or Watson, I'm going Morris. I think the ROI on Morris would be greater even if he only stayed 2-3 years.

5.2 million up front. Probably a million a year in that neighborhood salary per year.

7+ million for two years for an OC when one of those years (this year) we don't have a QB.

I disagree with your accounting.

Why He would agree to such a big buyout is odd to me. Largest one I recall seeing.

$5 million dollars is a shit ton of money to dish out for a coordinator's buyout and then have to pay a large salary as well. Hell, Strong's contract is 5 million for a year. Its not worth it for a coordinator. Just too expensive, especially considering he'll more than likely be a head coach with a couple of years somewhere else. That would be a high priced rental.

Plus, if someone paid Morris' buyout, he'd have to report that as income and pay the income tax on $5.2 million. That would probably eat up his entire first year salary.

I don't think that is how the buyout works. Morris doesn't see a dime of that buyout, it would all go to Clemson. Thus it wouldn't be any form of income for Morris and therefore he wouldn't have to report anything about it on his taxes.

I'm ignorant to how the buyout works. Couldn't you have the same buyout in the contract with us and let somebody else pay it in a few years when he is hired as a head coach?

A school doesn't have to pay a buyout if they're hiring another school's coordinator as their Head Coach. A school only has to pay the buyout if they intend to employ the other school's coordinator as a coordinator of their own.

seriously? does it really matter whether you are or I am impressed?