Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Facilities! Facilities! Facilities! At Some Point, What Shall Strong Address?

monarch

...there is an ELEPHANT upon the 40 that no one dare's to speak of...

we are the jones's.... and we are never supposed to have aging dilapidated athletic facilities. (how on earth did deloss dodd's allow for this to happen?)

how did oregon, alabama, atm, oklahoma, to name a few... design, construct, and complete such beautiful and state of the art campus athletic facilities, as per their sports franchises. and yet the university of texas, is now caught behind the pack. (how was this allowed to happen)

there may be a few of you, that may have acquired snippets of the truth, regarding bits of the initial negotiations as per nick saban. it was hereby stated that "nick saban" duly requested that a number of "texas" facilities had to be brought up to date before he was to sign upon the dotted ....... line.

well... enough of the past. may some of our scholars, care to elaborate upon just what facilities shall need to immediately be brought up to par... i shall go first.

1. get rid of the bubble. it is becoming a national embarrassment

2. design a new and state of the art football facilities that are on par with the likes of oregon, alabama, etc... recruits are indeed looking at these facilities as they make their choices

3. at some point soon.... someone shall have to take a good long look at the south end zone of dkr. expansion time.

Oregon gets players because it is a style school, its more focused on there pretty uniforms and hi tech nike facilities. Texas should always have upgraded facilities but lets focus more on what is best for players and coaches then having water falls and neon helmets. that's all

Oregon gets players because it is a style school, its more focused on there pretty uniforms and hi tech nike facilities. Texas should always have upgraded facilities but lets focus more on what is best for players and coaches then having water falls and neon helmets. that's all

...you are indeed absolutely correct regarding oregon my friend. but you may have somehow forgotten one important aspect of your "oregon" debate.... for whatever "style" that the likes of oregon may showcase... THEY WIN GAMES! remember the 2013 "valero bowl". i do.

Edited by monarch

I have not heard anyone one a national stage say anything about the bubble. It needs do be redone, but it is nowhere near a national joke.

Our football facilities are still pretty good and up there, but yeah they need updating a bit.

The South end zone has been in plans for a while. We get hot again, it will happen.

Totally agree with LinuxHorn, just win and the rest will follow.

I'm pretty sure this is the last thing on anybody's mind. The facilities aren't in bad shape, are they?

I wouldn't say it's the last thing on anyone's mind, but I also don't think they're as much of an issue as they're being made out to be. The weight room was just updated last year if I remember correctly. I haven't heard anything negative about the bubble except from Texas fans. I definitely wouldn't take it down and I'm not sure how you "update" it. As others have said, the south end zone will get built, but not until we start winning again. And not only winning again, but winning big. Frankly we don't need to add it right now. If we built it now, we'd have to tarp it like Baylor did their endzone. We couldn't sell the tickets.

cyclical. just a few years ago we had the best facilities and the teams that were behind went ahead with their projects. we will upgrade soon and be the best and at that point the teams you mentioned will be behind and they will update. and so on.

We are getting a half billion dollar (for starters) med school complex that will likely be integrated into the sports infrastructure and we are getting a new basketball facility. According to the latest NCAA financial filings, the book value of UT's athletics facilities are $296mil. OU's are $195mil and aggy's are $103mil. We certainly aren't falling behind in facilities and we are about to do a major expansion.

Trust me, every other warm weather team wishes they had a bubble. We aren't even warm weather, we are killer hot. Even in the Fall.

Second, if we try to expand the south end zone at the same time they shut down everything south of DKR while building the medical school, "circus" wouldn't begin to describe the situation. ( I know I park at the Drum)

Have you SEEN our locker rooms and weight and training rooms? They are as state of the art as any. This is not the problem.

In the words of Al Davis, "just win, baby"

You will be amazed at the outcomes.

I haven't heard anything negative about the bubble except from Texas fans. I definitely wouldn't take it down and I'm not sure how you "update" it.

At least it hasn't collapsed on our players like the Cowboys', right?

As others have said, the south end zone will get built, but not until we start winning again. And not only winning again, but winning big. Frankly we don't need to add it right now. If we built it now, we'd have to tarp it like Baylor did their endzone. We couldn't sell the tickets.

Agree. We have enough empty seats on the east side and upper decks. Why show 15K empty seats on Thanksgiving?

1. Agreed. But they have to find a place to put it. I would think they are going to have to build a massive parking garage and level out some of the parking lots east of campus. It is hell being land locked in the 40.

2. That is tough because our facilities are pretty good. For 90 %, our stuff is right there with Bama's new stuff. You don't want to be working out of tents while the new stuff is built. At the same time having the windows in the players lounge and Strong's office (almost typed Mack) having the blinds closed because they face the back of the end zone seating is a little embarrassing. Something might have to be done here, but it aint going to be easy or cheap.

3. While it may suck that we will be behind Ag when their expansion is done, I would bet we never expand our stadium. With the amount of money Delo$$ and $teve Patter$on insist on charging for tickets and the quality of HD TV, filling stadiums that large is going to be harder and harder to do. If anything they will wait and see how Ag does filling their seats and also see what ticket demands are for DKR.

Oh, and new Basketball Arena is going to come before any of that stuff. They did do football and baseball at the same time before, but something tells me they don't want to have to do that again.

The bubble could use some updating, but the rest of our facilities are top notch. Besides, do you think Moorer's new Pit will be fancy? ;-)

I want "the pit" to be styled like a medieval dungeon. No better way to promote new Texas toughness, than with some chains on the walls and a whipping and wailing soundtrack.

My wish for the new basketball arena. I have hopes that it will bring back the atmosphere of Gregory Gym. Please wait before the rant. I want the facility to be ultramodern, but want the floor level seating to be as close to the out of bounds as physically possible. Although we weren't very good when I was in school, basketball games were still very exciting and energized by the fact that it felt as if we were part of the game because us students were within a few feet of the out of bounds and right on top of the opponents bench.

Although I would be considered one of the "old farts" now, I want the powers that be to heavily consider making the first 10 rows of seating, on all sides of the arena, to be reserved for current students on a first come, first served basis. To see an energized, enthusiastic, screaming, yelling and

emotionally-charged and crazily excited student body cheering on our beloved HORNS will propel us to the upper echelon of college basketball.

The Bubble was built in response to a year in which several athletes died nationwide due to heat stroke. The design allowed for quick construction. We were one of the first southern schools to build an indoor facility. I was told by a staff member that the canvas skin has a 10 year lifespan at which time the plan was to replace the bubble with a traditional brick and mortar structure. I would anticipate that happens in the next couple of years.

The bubble needs renovation but it's far from a laughing stock. Texas is widely considered to have one of the greatest, if not the greatest, weight rooms in the entire country. The Locker Room could be touched up but it certainly doesn't need it. And I don't think an expansion of DKR is necessary until Texas starts winning double digit games a season again. The kind of renovations Texas needs are the small ones that nobody really pays attention too when watching a game. Such as the horrible sound system the stadium currently has. There isn't any excuse for the music played before the game to sound grumbled and grainy. Parking is something else Texas needs to take a look at. It's not great right now unless you arrive hours upon hours early. And it's only going to get worse when the Med School is in. Moving on from that, they need a new basketball arena. But from my understanding, that is already in the books.

While it may suck that we will be behind Ag when their expansion is done, I would bet we never expand our stadium. With the amount of money Delo$$ and $teve Patter$on insist on charging for tickets and the quality of HD TV, filling stadiums that large is going to be harder and harder to do. If anything they will wait and see how Ag does filling their seats and also see what ticket demands are for DKR.

IMHO, aggy bit off way more than he can chew. A 102k seat stadium for a program that had trouble selling out 88k unless UT, Tech, or OU was coming to town? Ridiculous, but that's aggy business acumen. SEC fans do travel better than most Big 12 teams, but I still foresee a struggle without a Heisman winner at QB.

I agree. Our stadium is plenty large enough. Let's just upgrade the game experience with improved WiFi and state-of-the-art acoustics. DKR is fine.

Looking forward to the new basketball arena. Agree that the game experience can and should be improved for students by getting them as close to the floor as possible.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

A lot of teams have bubbles - it looks like a bubble from the outside, but have you been inside it? How do you say it's the laughing stock - I've never heard a single peep from anyplace about it.

We have a great weight room, and locker room that rivals the pros. The player lounge is fantastic - have you looked at the facilities on the football site?

Have you been to other stadiums in the B12? I've been to every single one of them. I can't think of one that is better than ours - which one is?

I've been to Va Tech, all B12, Orange Bowl, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Michigan stadiums off the top of my head. None of them have anything on us.

Not sure how you are getting your information to make such statements.

Our facilities are fine.

Here is the thing with our facilities. Lets look at the places on this list by population and square miles (Land area only)

Ann Arbor, MI: 116,121 - 28.7

Tuscaloosa, AL: 93,357 - 60.2

Norman, OK: 110,925 - 177.0

Eugene, OR: 157,986 - 43.7

College Station, TX: 97,534 - 40.3

Austin, TX: 842,592 - 271.8

What do the others have Austin does not? ROOM. Before you complain about the want of new facilities, tell me where you build them?

We can build a massive new practice facility. Best of everything, Absolute monster. Nearest place with enough open land to put it? Oh...probably out in Bee Cave. None of the others have a massive population base surrounding them either. Metro Austin has just the south side of 2,000,000 people.

What we have is in the center of a major city. We cant just displace 30,000 people or a multi million dollar office complex to build a new Oregon sized center.