Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good read on Watson.

DizzG

I'm not sure what the definition of average is, but if we are judging this guy based on last season, that season was not average. They outscored their opponents 35-12 on average and they had the 6th best time of possession in the country. Their QB threw 31 touchdowns with 4 interceptions. Credit to Bridgewater, but schemes play a role in a QB throwing 4 picks on the season. And he worked with and developed what is likely the #1 draft pick in Teddy Bridgewater. And Teddy Bridgewater credits Watson with his development as a passer and person over the past couple of years. That has to mean something, right? Watson doesn't put up numbers like Oregon or Baylor, but imho it's inaccurate to call him "just better than inept". It seems obvious that at Nebraska he had one hand tied behind his back by personnel and Bo Pelini. Watson said as much after he left NU.

We all have a list of OC's in our mind that we think would be perfect. But when a name is dropped that is not on that list, it seems that by definition this means the guy sucks or is average. We saw this for the last month with the head coaching search, and once we all took a close look at Strong I think we realized that although he may not have been everyone's pick, he was a darn good choice. If Strong feels comfortable with Watson and he's brought on, I think cooler heads will prevail and we'll find the same thing here.

Doesnt matter how you cut it, Watson isnt the best OC that we can get. I believe he is avg at best. Looking at his time at CU, NU and UL , he has been above avg at only UL. Maybe he has had the best talent at UL but that doesnt justify the ineptness earlier.

So i guess Strong lied in his interview, or it was reported as a lie when they said "he will bring an all star coaching cast with him."

Where is the all star cast on D? No calls to Ed O who is a great recruiter and turned around USC.

Hopefully we called Herman, Mazzone, etc?

Does CS realize we can get better coaches at Texas than UL? We are not UL south.

Doesnt matter how you cut it, Watson isnt the best OC that we can get. I believe he is avg at best. Looking at his time at CU, NU and UL , he has been above avg at only UL. Maybe he has had the best talent at UL but that doesnt justify the ineptness earlier.

So i guess Strong lied in his interview, or it was reported as a lie when they said "he will bring an all star coaching cast with him."

Where is the all star cast on D? No calls to Ed O who is a great recruiter and turned around USC.

Does CS realize we can get better coaches at Texas than UL? We are not UL south.

Just so Watson understands all Texas offense kids grew up with football to the walls spread.

I've seen nothing with any proof that Strong committed to fielding nothing but a staff full of what people in the media or fans on a message board would consider "all stars". Thats not even realistic and no coach in the biz does that.

If Saban had some here he not only would have run mostly a conservative pro style offense he would have hired a bunch of people he believed in and felt comfortable with. He wouldnt have just picked up a bunch of random people based on name sizzle along. Strong obviously believes in his people and wants people he can trust to carry out his vision at Texas more than anything right now as he takes on a tough challenge.

I dont know if Watson ends up here....I still have my doubts but I have zero issue with any of the other talked about coaches. Strong plus Bedford alone is better on defense than most programs in the country. I could be the DC and Texas would be really good because Strong would be all over it.

Stopped after the second sentence cuz it was a lie.

Watson is a grade A doucher. Saw all I needed to see after his elbow to Colt while he was on the ground at the Big XII championship.

So you are saying you have never done something you regret? I am guessing yes just because no would be a lie. I would also venture to guess that you would not like to have a moment where passion or the heat of the moment got to you, be what you are judged on for the rest of your life.

Again Watson is not anywhere near my first choice, but people acting holier than thou and judging someone one based on one thing that happened a while back is lame at best. Hell Major cheated on his wife and people did not hold that against him for very long until we found out his offense was not all that good.

We all need a reality check here. Charlie Strong is not going to look at a bunch of statistics and go out and hire random people he has no connection to over human beings he has worked with or known people who has worked with them. It just defies human nature. There are coaches out there that are real mavericks that do things like that I'm sure. I'm thinking about the Mike Leaches or Mike Gundy's, but that's not what we've hired here guys. Charlie Strong has been coaching football with the kings of the sport for a VERY long time. You think that all of a sudden because he's at Texas he's just going to forget about all of the connections and all of the guys he's coached with over a 30 year career because he has more money to spend? That's just not reality. And more importantly, didn't we just do that with the Harsin/Diaz hires? My sense of those hires is that those two guys were the epitome of the hot young coordinators. The best there was to be had, and UT fans (including me) were THRILLED with those hires. Harsin was out after 2 years and 9 losses, and Diaz was an unmitigated disaster. Maybe hiring random wonder boy coordinators is not all that it's cracked up to be. Coaching is a business like any other, and when a new head honcho comes to town that knows he will be accountable for his decisions, it would just be irrational for him not to bring along guys he's comfortable with. In this case, those guys happen to be coordinators that helped Charlie win 23 games in the last two years, so I think he's somewhat justified (at the very least, not the crazy person we are making him out to be) in thinking these guys could help move the needle at UT.

I feel that our defense will be strong...........but the question is Offense............scoring...Texas spread scoring and the recruits that gravaitates towards it. An OC that beings it all together.......We all remember what UT went through the last days of Greg Davis. We can do better...We need the offense to complement the defense.

I feel that our defense will be strong...........but the question is Offense............scoring...Texas spread scoring and the recruits that gravaitates towards it. An OC that beings it all together.......We all remember what UT went through the last days of Greg Davis. We can do better...We need the offense to complement the defense.

Your view on what that means and what Strong's is, may or may not not be the same thing.

Stopped after the second sentence cuz it was a lie.

Watson is a grade A doucher. Saw all I needed to see after his elbow to Colt while he was on the ground at the Big XII championship.

Football is a very emotional game, and that emotion can get the best out you. Just because he did that to Colt doesnt condemn him to being a douche forever. Im sure you've had your douche moment too as most of us have.