Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wait A Minute

Coach Strong is now talking about his RB coach to Texas..See here what is happening.

So the RB coach's tenure at Flordia with Strong, while under Meyer, and winning two national championships isn't enough? Have you ever coached a single down of real football? I am willing to bet the answer is no because someone in the know would have an actual reason they don't like a hire. If you think that coaches don't bring in their buddies, who said coach thinks can also coach, happens at every level from high school to the NFL you are even further detached from reality than should be allowed to join this conversation.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McPhaul:

Just because I strongly disagree with a HC's decision doesn't mean I think he's not qualified to be a HC.

So there's your answer.

Every fanbase criticizes their HC's decisions. Doesn't mean they think their HC isn't qualified to be a HC.

AFAIK, Red's the only one who thinks that Strong might not be qualified to be a coordinator at Texas.

Totally destroyed some excellent SEC defenses with the Air Raid at Kentucky. Bob Stoops could not defend it at Florida and made up his mind that when he did land a HC position he would go after Leach to be his OC.

Leach was OC briefly in Norman and soon got his own HC gig in Lubbock.

The difference is that my post will not end up on ESPN and make National headlines. He thinks he has the inherited right to say what he wants and that is fine. We do live in the USA. I also have to right to think he brought shame to UT by his comments when we did not need it. No comment would have served Red better. JM

I need some help grasping something.

I think we all agree, Red should have kept his opinion behind closed doors.

What I took away from what Red said was that we hire a coach that was not competent enough to be the HC at Texas.

A day later, with rumors flying around that the same HC is going to bring on Shawn Watson, his OC at Louisville, our fan base is hollering

that is a incompetent hire.

Don't get me wrong, I see the difference in Red being a 200 million plus donor going over the airwaves and stating as much but, I also see our fanbase stating as much if Strong indeed brings on Watson.

So, are the fans saying Strong is competent enough to be our head coach but, not competent enough to pick his own assistants?

With that said, I'm not a fan of Shawn Watson's.

1. Red's opinions border (closely) to those of Al Campanis. The fact that he holds those opinions hearkens back to a time I mentioned in another thread that damn near cost DKR his job. I don't care how much money he donates. He doesn't get special dispensation because he's rich.

2. There are a lot of opinions of Shawn Watson. With all of the vitriol going throughout Longhorn Nation, you'd think that Strong was about to hire Barry (f-ing) Switzer.

3. I'm asking (and I know I'm about to get a big fat no) for everyone to take a step back and understand a few things.

...........A. Any leader, stepping into a new position, wants to surround himself with good, competent people but people he is familiar with and comfortable with.

...........B. That's part of being a leader. He's being paid to make those decisions and doesn't depend on our approval to get what he thinks will get the job done...which is winning championships.

...........C. With family members throughout the coaching system, there's one thing that is common among all of them, male, female, no matter the sport. The best ones get better with experience and learn from their mistakes.

4. I don't know Shawn Watson at all. I barely know of him and me and my coaching and broadcast friends know a helluva lot guys currently coaching. But even if I did, if Strong picks him, don't you think that part of their conversation would entail, "...this is the top of the mountain and we gotta get it right..." or at least something to that effect?

5. Finally, judge a person on what they accomplish rather than telling them how they're going to fail before they even start. (you too Red!)

Hook'em!

No what Red said was Strong wasnt competent enough to be a head coach period. it wasnt just about at Texas...he then went on to say a position coach...or maaaaybe a coordinator

Yes and harm Red caused? One of our guys who decommitted quoted Red in a tweet.

Yes and harm Red caused? One of our guys who decommitted quoted Red in a tweet.

which one? not surprised. I cant fully say what I think of Red on here as would prob get banned. I think he did a lot of damage to Strong, and will hurt recruiting. I think UT can recover but Red has still not apologized and it frankly sickens me that some have actually tried to defend his comments or cast them off as not that big of a deal

I agree that a head coach should be able to pick his own staff and don't argue that point. But I also think that a head coach is capable of making an incompetent, i.e. bad, decision regarding assistant coaches.

So my question is, what exactly is wrong with "fans" having an opinion regarding how competent or incompetent a coaching hire is and discussing it in this type of forum?

So, HIPPO. In mommy board speak, that means, 'Happily ignoring other poster's opinions,' or, 'I only read the OP.'

HIPPO.

Anyway, I'm sitting president of a BOD for a nonprofit here in Austin. If my ED hires somebody and I think that person sucks, I might complain over lunch to colleagues but I'm not going to race off to the media, because if my organization is to be successful, we've got to present a united front. Similarly, I'm on the BOD for the PTA at my son's school. If one of our chairpeople make a crap decision, I might bitch about it privately to my friends on Facebook, but I wouldn't go post about it on the actual PTA page. Dumb.

And unlike CS, Watson has actually been fired from a coaching job because he wasn't performing or meeting a standard of excellence. He floundered around looking for a new one, it's not like he was some highly sought after commodity.

So many reasons why I fail to see any correlation here.

ETA: and more to the point, I've been busy all morning so I haven't read much- but are people complaining that hiring an incompetent Watson makes CS incompetent? Or are people just complaining that in their opinion, Watson sucks?

Edited by whatthewhat

I don't understand the insouciance a lot of people have that we're leveraging the history, cachet and resources of the University of Texas' football program to give pay raises to most of the staff from a commuter basketball school in a terrible conference whose football program generates less than 30 million dollars a year. Seems like we should have higher ambitions than amalgamating into the University of Louisville at Austin.

Since we have been down for awhile, I think this is the time to get a kick ass OC. I think with Strong, our D will kick. We need to have the offense producing THIS YEAR.

Charlie came a little late. He doesn't realize how restless the fans are. He is giving me the impression that Mack retired and he is taking over.

MACK WAS FIRED CHARLIE. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

I don't understand the insouciance a lot of people have that we're leveraging the history, cachet and resources of the University of Texas' football program to give pay raises to most of the staff from a commuter basketball school in a terrible conference whose football program generates less than 30 million dollars a year. Seems like we should have higher ambitions than amalgamating into the University of Louisville at Austin.

Prob because many think its a false notion that guys on charlie strongs staff that turned around a program at UL and won a BCS bowl last year are somehow lesser coaches because they were on a staff at Louisville. Then by that premise they shouldn't be considered at Texas because they aren't Texas good. The same with Strong who many nationally thought was an excellent coach and has fought hard to advance himself to the position of head coach despite having a lot of success in his career being on big time staffs...winning national titles as a DC etc

You hire a guy and let him assemble his staff. This happens all the time. Coaches get jobs and bring people with them who they are comfortable with and more important trust to surround them as they embark on a new challenge. You simply dont hire a guy and claim you trust them and then tell him who his staff needs to be, and if he wants to bring any guys with him he shouldnt because Texas is a bigger "name" the Louisville. People can cry about Watson but I haven't seen one explanation on why any other rumored name he may bring in is somehow unworthy, or not a good enough choice

I didn't think Red was out of bounds at all. .

Then you would be one of the very very few as Red has not only been getting killed locally he's been getting roasted nationally.

So a guy who has won national titles as a DC on big time staffs, has a good record as a head coach so far in his career, turned around a program as a head coach, is fixing to have one of his players go #1 in the NFL draft, has won conf titles as a head coach, and won a BCS bowl as a head coach really belongs at no higher than a position coach level...or if he's lucky maybe a coordinator position?

We have been over paying assistants for years. Have you seen the product in the field the past 4 years.

which one? not surprised. I cant fully say what I think of Red on here as would prob get banned. I think he did a lot of damage to Strong, and will hurt recruiting. I think UT can recover but Red has still not apologized and it frankly sickens me that some have actually tried to defend his comments or cast them off as not that big of a deal

I think it was Garnett but not 100% sure of that.

As far as defending his comments, if I'm am reading between the lines correctly (and I don't always do that, just ask my wife) I think Red, or someone closely associated to him, is a "Friend of Bevo". If that's the case then it explains why those who run this board defending him and excusing him.

re Charlie Strong's qualifications:

Charlie Strong pre-Texas:

37-15 at L'ville

Les Miles pre-LSU

28-21 at OK-State

Darrell Royal pre-Texas

17-13 at Mississippi State and UW.

Urban Meyer pre-Florida

39-8 at Bowling Green and Utah

Bo Schembechler pre-Michigan

40-17 at Miami of Ohio

Woody Hayes pre tOSU

33-15 at Miami of Ohio and Denison

He may not pan out, but saying he's not qualified to be a HC at a top program is absurd.

First, I'd advise you to wait a minute and post on fact not what's been postulated. We don't know who Strong is offering the OC job too yet.

Second, if it is Watson, then wait to see what he does here. All I know is in his most recent job he beat a #3 Florida team in the Sugar Bowl and scored 33 points on our golden bow coach in waiting defensive guru who had 1 month to game plan against his offense. people point to colorado, which 0 talent and nebraska, which was broken.

I think it was Garnett but not 100% sure of that.

As far as defending his comments, if I'm am reading between the lines correctly (and I don't always do that, just ask my wife) I think Red, or someone closely associated to him, is a "Friend of Bevo". If that's the case then it explains why those who run this board defending him and excusing him.

If true, we'd have seen a LOT more Gruden talk.

Prob because many think its a false notion that guys on charlie strongs staff that turned around a program at UL and won a BCS bowl last year are somehow lesser coaches because they were on a staff at Louisville. Then by that premise they shouldn't be considered at Texas because they aren't Texas good. The same with Strong who many nationally thought was an excellent coach and has fought hard to advance himself to the position of head coach despite having a lot of success in his career being on big time staffs...winning national titles as a DC etc

You hire a guy and let him assemble his staff. This happens all the time. Coaches get jobs and bring people with them who they are comfortable with and more important trust to surround them as they embark on a new challenge. You simply dont hire a guy and claim you trust them and then tell him who his staff needs to be, and if he wants to bring any guys with him he shouldnt because Texas is a bigger "name" the Louisville. People can cry about Watson but I haven't seen one explanation on why any other rumored name he may bring in is somehow unworthy, or not a good enough choice

This. At coaching school last year I spoke with a number of college coaches, from institutions most on Texas boards would consider inferior, that straight up said UT's staff is a running joke in the coaching ranks. That being said, I think some of that sentiment is hyperbole, but some is definitely true. Gundy didn't have a problem hiring a coordinator from some BFE DIII school, and I think it turned out okay.