Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let Me Share

Red went off the reservation and was disloyal to our school in these comments. He has done many great things in his life, has been immensely successful and has been a great alum from the 40 acres. That does not give him the right to make us look like a clown show in public, there are right and wrong ways to voice your displeasure. He owes Coach Strong and Steve Patterson an apology.

I agree.

Heard the comments again this morn. Red owes a huge apology. What a disgrace. Him thinking strong isn't qualified to even coach a team makes me want him to succeed even more. I hope strong gives these doubters the big middle finger and makes red look like an idiot for thinking he's not head coaching material

Respect is something that is earned, not bought.

Just keep that in mind.

I could not agree more that respect has to be earned. But let's also remember that most of these older men and women have paid there dues and should be respected. Also without that donation The University Of Texas might look like that pig pin in CS and I know y'all don't want that.. So I tend to cut our senior citizens some slack. I know y'all are a lot younger than I am and I see the world through a different set of glasses. I was raised in a time when a kid never said yes are no with out (er) on the end. I never called an adult buy there first name. We did not eat supper until the adults finished eating. We did not get to set around the kitchen when the adults talked. God blessed me wit two great parents they expected us to respect them and I did. When you get to my age you might see what I'm talking about. My friends y'all have a great day.

And I am not advocating disrespecting Red or anyone else. But I sure don't respect someone just because of their checkbook either. I don't know Red McCombs, so I have little to say about the man. I think his comments were in ridiculously bad taste though.

i agree that respect is earned and not bought, but i think red mccombs has earned the respect. he just had a bad day. i admire mccombs and i admire joe jamail. they are both admirable gentlemen. one of them just had a bad day yesterday. we all do that from time to time. this is just one of those deals where you let it go. charlie strong acquited himself extremely well yesterday. his comments and composure stand alone right now. he doesn't require the endorsement of red mccombs. he's the head coach. its done. over.

all this furor is nothing more than someone having a temporary loss of sanity. its time to take red out of the spotlight and put charlie back in it.

i agree that respect is earned and not bought, but i think red mccombs has earned the respect. he just had a bad day. i admire mccombs and i admire joe jamail. they are both admirable gentlemen. one of them just had a bad day yesterday. we all do that from time to time. this is just one of those deals where you let it go. charlie strong acquited himself extremely well yesterday. his comments and composure stand alone right now. he doesn't require the endorsement of red mccombs. he's the head coach. its done. over.

all this furor is nothing more than someone having a temporary loss of sanity. its time to take red out of the spotlight and put charlie back in it.

Fair enough. You know I can't disagree with YOU!

Been a while since we've chatted. You doing okay? I noticed that many of your posts on OB were "different.". You seem to be full of piss and vinegar lately. Anyway, hope you are well and that you had a great Christmas and New Year!

Oh... to have all the money in the world and say whatever the hell you want.

I wish we all could be so lucky. ;)

Right! I would like to think if I was rich it wouldn't turn me into an A-Hole, but it seems more often than not, that is exactly what money does to a person.

I could not agree more that respect has to be earned. But let's also remember that most of these older men and women have paid there dues and should be respected. Also without that donation The University Of Texas might look like that pig pin in CS and I know y'all don't want that.. So I tend to cut our senior citizens some slack. I know y'all are a lot younger than I am and I see the world through a different set of glasses. I was raised in a time when a kid never said yes are no with out (er) on the end. I never called an adult buy there first name. We did not eat supper until the adults finished eating. We did not get to set around the kitchen when the adults talked. God blessed me wit two great parents they expected us to respect them and I did. When you get to my age you might see what I'm talking about. My friends y'all have a great day.

Jim, I am trying to raise my children with that same notion of respect. It's not easy to do in this world. You sound like a true gentlemen. While many folks have spouted off about Red and his comments, no one has sauntered up to him and said these things to him. These folks are just sharing an opinion. And while I don't necessarily agree with the things they are saying or how they are saying them, you are not going to be able to convince most that Red gets a pass because he is 86.

I enjoy the process where people get old enough that they just don't care anymore about whether what they say offends someone or is politically correct -- they become brutally honest - say what they really think.

Red seems to be there now.

I like being able to hear his unfiltered thoughts, for a change.

Edited by Juan Grande

Right! I would like to think if I was rich it wouldn't turn me into an A-Hole, but it seems more often than not, that is exactly what money does to a person.

Agreed. Having that much money, and having given that much money to UT, has obviously given Red a serious sense of entitlement.

He should do the right thing and publicly apologize, but I'm not holding my breath.

Agreed. Having that much money, and having given that much money to UT, has obviously given Red a serious sense of entitlement.

He should do the right thing and publicly apologize, but I'm not holding my breath.

lol yeah I know! Hold your breath for that and you'd suffocate! Seriously though, you're right he should apologize.

Jim, I am trying to raise my children with that same notion of respect. It's not easy to do in this world. You sound like a true gentlemen. While many folks have spouted off about Red and his comments, no one has sauntered up to him and said these things to him. These folks are just sharing an opinion. And while I don't necessarily agree with the things they are saying or how they are saying them, you are not going to be able to convince most that Red gets a pass because he is 86.

The argument that Red deserves respect but Charlie Strong doesn't isn't compelling. Red gave excess money he possessed and his doing so did not materially affect his quality of life or the opportunities in life he was afforded. While gifts of money are appreciated, they do not afford someone the unfettered right to demean and undermine the accomplishments or efforts of professionals who have proven themselves in their chosen careers. What Red did is also politically and emotionally charged because it seems to give validity to claims that a man of color will not be shown proper respect when he sets foot on the campus of the University of Texas. Red's previous efforts to build UT have been greatly diminished by his destructive comments.

If anyone is trying to instill notions of respect in their children, Red's comments would seem instructive as to how not to go through life. They should serve as an example that no matter what your accomplishments in life and no matter how much money you have, you should still respect the basic dignity of others, no matter their station in life. They should serve as an example of regardless how much good we may have done in the past, we aren't given a pass in life. Red could serve as an example of when we know we have done wrong, we should atone for our transgressions but, sadly, I'm not so sure Red will do that.

If you are trying to instill notions of respect, start with Charlie's example of ignoring the insults and slurs other sling at you. After Red's comments, I hope even more Coach Strong succeeds at UT.

And no, I'm not going to "just let this go." Red knows he is a figurehead of the University. His comments have tarnished UT.

Yes, Red had a bad day, not his first and I'm afraid not his last. No doubt the man has been incredibly generous with his "gifts" to the University. Unfortunately, when you behave in the manner he did and has, the "gifts" start to take on the look and feel of more like "loans" in exchange for access and influence.

A "gift" is defined as "Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation" but it appears by Red's tantrum he expects compensation for his gifts. That being, again..access and influence with the football program.

Patterson I think wants that practice for all BMDs to be limited if not removed all together. I will always respect Red's accomplishments, success and generosity but I cannot respect the man, any man, that airs his dirty laundry over public airwaves, especially when it denigrates The University and its people. In this case, our new coach on the day he and his family were being welcomed to the campus and Austin.

He is genuine with no agenda and just wants to be the best coach Texas has ever had. He doesn't care if he was our 3rd or our 15th choice, he appreciates the opportunity and will coach his butt off to show that Patterson made the right choice. For that, he has "earned" my respect.

Edited by JKW-Hook 'em

There is a respectful and disrespectful way to address a BMD if you disagree with his comments or stance.

Unfortunately some of us I have chosen the the disrespectful response to Reds comments.

Let's be above that here.

Thanks,

Darrell

Darrell - I love the way you try to keep this blog on an even keel - that is what makes the blog special to me. And I fully support your attempt to do so.

However, McCombs has chosen to go public with insulting and degrading statements about our new coach. Therefore, as an open investor in UT - through building naming and contributions, he exposes himself to public scrutiny every bit as much as a coach, AD or president. And it's been my observation that it has only been a small minority of money brokers that have taken this very public line of entitlement. And, make no mistake, McCombs most definitely feels entitled. So McCombs has reaped the whirlwind and is deserving of the public vitriol he is getting.

He has foregone his position as a Longhorn benefactor and is downgrading our new coach before the dust has even settled. So he doesn't strike me as a Longhorn supporter, he strikes me as a McComb supporter.

We will find out if he is a man or not, if he publicly apologizes to Patterson, Strong and, most importantly, to the fans of my beloved university for the petulant, ugly and childish remarks he made.

Edited by doc longhorn

There is a respectful and disrespectful way to address a BMD if you disagree with his comments or stance.

Unfortunately some of us I have chosen the the disrespectful response to Reds comments.

Let's be above that here.

Thanks,

Darrell

Darrell, I agree with you that this board should be above four letter name calling....this isn't shaggybevo.

Yes, Red has done a ton for the university. The fact of the matter is that his comment on Strong being a coordinator "maybe" was wrong and classless. Red has built up a body of work in the last few months, esp when he called Case a "gimp". That was classless. We all know that Case isn't a Div I caliber QB....Case gave every once of effort he had to this university....i don't fault him one bit.....I fault Hack Brown for recruiting him thinking he was getting Colt 2.0.

I can see Red's points about not having a seat at the table. Patterson should have at least taken his phone calls....didn't have to do what Red wanted, but at least listen to the man that is forking over huge sums of cash payments.

I liken Red to the crazy uncle at thanksgiving who is very opinionated and spouts off from the hip, but his opinions are about 10 years too late but no one can tell him that times have changed.

Darrell, I agree with you that this board should be above four letter name calling....this isn't shaggybevo.

Yes, Red has done a ton for the university. The fact of the matter is that his comment on Strong being a coordinator "maybe" was wrong and classless. Red has built up a body of work in the last few months, esp when he called Case a "gimp". That was classless. We all know that Case isn't a Div I caliber QB....Case gave every once of effort he had to this university....i don't fault him one bit.....I fault Hack Brown for recruiting him thinking he was getting Colt 2.0.

I can see Red's points about not having a seat at the table. Patterson should have at least taken his phone calls....didn't have to do what Red wanted, but at least listen to the man that is forking over huge sums of cash payments.

I liken Red to the crazy uncle at thanksgiving who is very opinionated and spouts off from the hip, but his opinions are about 10 years too late but no one can tell him that times have changed.

I think the dilemma Patterson was in is what do you do after you take Red's calls about interviewing Gruden? Then you have to take his calls on why didn't you interview him, why didn't you hire him? Patterson knew he was never going to hire or interview Gruden so why go through the dog and pony show that would probably lead to Red getting even more upset. I think he was in a no-win situation with Red.

I think the key take away from this thread and what McPhaul is trying to say is.

Don't be an ass. If you don't agree with what someone either on this site or elsewhere that is fine and it is fine to discuss your disagreement. Just don't be an ass.

If someone on this site is being an ass, don't be an ass back. The mods will take care of it.

If someone, especially connected in some way to our great university is doing something that you don't like. Discuss it, but don't be an ass.

No one is trying to take away being able to discuss the issue, in this case Red. It should be discussed as it is related to our great program, however there is absolutely no reason to be an ass about it.

What Red said is indefensible. There is no reason to try and defend what he said on this and his comments after the Baylor game. In my book he has lost my respect, not that it will bother him much or at all. However coming on here and trashing him, make us look even worse. Granted it is a private forum, but this is going on everywhere. We can all show our distaste for what he said without being distasteful ourselves.

Now, I understand when you get pissed you say things you later regret. I know I have more times than I like.

Not saying Red deserves anything, just saying be the better man/woman. Discuss it like you have already went through the "hair in strange places" part of your life.

Fair enough. You know I can't disagree with YOU!

Been a while since we've chatted. You doing okay? I noticed that many of your posts on OB were "different.". You seem to be full of piss and vinegar lately. Anyway, hope you are well and that you had a great Christmas and New Year!

is this the real ellie? or mr. ellie? in any case, i have grown very, very tired of the constant vitriol and negativity on the other site so i have just gotten cranky in my old age. that place has given me a permanent case of hemorrhoids, i guess.

but i could never get cranky with you, ellie. :D