Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who will lose their starting positions and who won't?

doc longhorn

This is from the current roster only and does not include incoming freshmen.

Here is my list:

Losing their positions

Mykkele Thompson

Daje Johnson

Bergeron

Santos

Keeping their positions and/or breaking into the lineups

Jason Shipley

Marcus Johnson

John Harris

David Ash (I didn't see any difference between him and Bridgewater)

Peter Jinkens

Antuan Davis

Tim Cole

Deondri Davis

Paul Boyette

Dom Espinosa

Curtis riser

Kennedy Estele

Josh Cochran

Hassan Ridgeway

Malcome Brown

Bryce Cottrell

Here is my list:

Losing their positions

Mykkele Thompson

Daje Johnson

Bergeron

Santos

Keeping their positions and/or breaking into the lineups

Jason Shipley

Marcus Johnson

John Harris

David Ash (I didn't see any difference between him and Bridgewater)

Peter Jinkens

Antuan Davis

Tim Cole

Deondri Davis

Paul Boyette

Dom Espinosa

Curtis riser

Kennedy Estele

Josh Cochran

Hassan Ridgeway

Malcome Brown

Bryce Cottrell

1. Why do you see Santos losing his job? Bergeron was mildly surprising to see on your list.

2. Your other list - Antuan Davis. What's your thinking there?

U didnt see any difference btw Ash and Bridgewater as a QB?

IMO, there is a clear difference. Bridgewater is much better. Ash can get better than he is now, has to get healthy

Passing? Slight edge to Ash - he appears to have a stronger arm

Running? slight edge to Bridgewater - and only because Major never really gave Ash his head - Strong will.

Decision making? Edge to Bridgewater. Once again, Major Applewhite

All this assumes, of course, that Ash is fully recovered from his concussion symptoms. I think Strong is going to love Ash.

1. Why do you see Santos losing his job? Bergeron was mildly surprising to see on your list.

2. Your other list - Antuan Davis. What's your thinking there?

Well, I'm trying to look through the prism of Strong's eyes and methods. After examining the reports of him and watching a couple of Louisville games, I have come to the conclusion that Strong is a tough SOB and won't abide players that aren't. Santos is plenty tough enough, but is too slow. I don't know if it's a physical thing or a mental thing - I suspect the latter. In the crucible of Stong's practices, Santos will catch his eye because he is so physical. He will like that until game time - then I'm afraid Santos will be hitting the bench.

Davis will finally be given an opportunity to show himself - the talent is there.

Well, I'm trying to look through the prism of Strong's eyes and methods. After examining the reports of him and watching a couple of Louisville games, I have come to the conclusion that Strong is a tough SOB and won't abide players that aren't. Santos is plenty tough enough, but is too slow. I don't know if it's a physical thing or a mental thing - I suspect the latter. In the crucible of Stong's practices, Santos will catch his eye because he is so physical. He will like that until game time - then I'm afraid Santos will be hitting the bench.

Davis will finally be given an opportunity to show himself - the talent is there.

I don't know the story on Davis. Heard he was in the Mack dog house but never knew why. He's been MIA for someone who was so hyped coming out of HS. I hope you're right on him because we'll need some infusion of speed and skills this year and he's a bump in that direction without having to look at the recruiting class.

I am fearful of the first time Ash gets hit. I just don't see him lasting long in the season. I hope I'm wrong.

Great thread, btw.

I don't know the story on Davis. Heard he was in the Mack dog house but never knew why. He's been MIA for someone who was so hyped coming out of HS. I hope you're right on him because we'll need some infusion of speed and skills this year and he's a bump in that direction without having to look at the recruiting class.

I am fearful of the first time Ash gets hit. I just don't see him lasting long in the season. I hope I'm wrong.

Great thread, btw.

Oh, this thread is most definitely opinionated and subject to being blown to shreds. It's also one of the reasons I have reservations about keeping any of the existing staff. I would love for Strong to have a clean slate to work with. It gives him the ability to evaluate the existing talent without being influenced by one of the old coaches opinions.

Wait, no difference between Ash and Bridgewater??

Wut?

Did you look up Bridgewater's video and his stats? He only has 170 yards rushing in his entire career. Ash beats him in running ability, but maybe Bridgewater didn't have to run or something. Bridgewater kills Ash in passing. I'm not as worried about arm strength as I am accuracy, reading the defense, decision making, etc. Bridgewater seems to be worlds better than Ash in those categories.

As far as Dalton Santos being slow, I don't know where that belief comes from.

Edited by TruthSpeaks28

Running? slight edge to Bridgewater - and only because Major never really gave Ash his head - Strong will.

All this assumes, of course, that Ash is fully recovered from his concussion symptoms. I think Strong is going to love Ash.

Ash might have a strong arm but the accuracy isnt where it needs to be on a consistent basis. He must improve that and decision making.

I am afraid when he takes a hit also.

I have reservations about keeping anyone on this staff except Wyatt. That the only one i care to keep.

Yeah, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Bridgewater is miles and miles ahead of Ash as a passer. Ash has better touch on his long ball, but everything else Ash is clearly inferior.

Huh? Teddy might be the number one pick in the draft due to his ARM...he hardly ran at all, so to say he has the edge there is presumptuous at best, I would actually say that Ash might be better, if not the same in terms of running ability... Look I think Ash can be good, but lets not the mistake of thinking that David Ash and Teddy Bridgewater are in the same league....they are not. It's not even a fair comparison for David. David can get much better, but if you're thinking that he has first round, first pick overall talent, you're going to be let down.

Although Ash has some speed, he doesn't have the pocket awareness of Bridgewater nor the accurracy on the run. It also looks tike he has problems making the right decisions on zone-reads... Santos impressed the hell out of me, especially with his range in tracking down ball carriers to the sideline. Not to mention he is tough as nails.

I think Bergeron may actually make a big leap with the new staff. For one I think he was playing out of position and second considering Diaz was the position coach, he was kind of going in blind. Once GR came in and moved him, he became serviceable quickly and actually pretty good towards the end. I don't think he will be great, but I think he might just break out a bit next year. I don't think the motor is the problem, he just did not have it mentally.

Mykkele is and always has been playing on the wrong side of the ball. No instinct at all nor the willingness to tackle. Really a wasted talent.

I think Bergeron may actually make a big leap with the new staff. For one I think he was playing out of position and second considering Diaz was the position coach, he was kind of going in blind. Once GR came in and moved him, he became serviceable quickly and actually pretty good towards the end. I don't think he will be great, but I think he might just break out a bit next year. I don't think the motor is the problem, he just did not have it mentally.

Mykkele is and always has been playing on the wrong side of the ball. No instinct at all nor the willingness to tackle. Really a wasted talent.

Are you talking about Bergeron or Santos? What you're describing sounds like Santos and totally agree on Thompson, he's got the athleticism to be a speed weapon on offense

Swoopes will not start over Ash. Here is a crazy idea...if Case starts, Mack has a built in excuse. Ash may have been cleared earlier, but at that point the season was surely lost...Heard may surprise us all and push for playing time but missing the spring is gonna hurt him.

I think in the right scheme Ash will be a stud...but that has yet to be seen.

Yeah, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Bridgewater is miles and miles ahead of Ash as a passer. Ash has better touch on his long ball, but everything else Ash is clearly inferior.

To be honest, I have only seen two games of Bridgewater - Miami and UConn. I, also, think an asterick should be placed by Ash because of the cluster we have had in coaching schemes and in his injury.

That being said, it's one thing for Bridgewater to look good against a Memphis team and to overlook his performance against UConn. Sure, Ash looked awful against KU. but remember he was a true freshman as well. It's not apples to apples to compare Ash against a senior in the first place.

Fiinally, no one is saying Bridgewater is a bad player - far from it. I just don't see a big difference between him and Ash. I'm betting Strong won't either and he HAS to be a better QB coach then anyone we have had.

The thing that worries me about Ash is that he will not be able to run with football...for fear of suffering another concussion. He's not good enough to just drop back and beat you with pure passing ability. As others have said, he's not accurate. Accuracy is much more important than having a cannon for an arm.