Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Else

Speaking for myself I was disappointed because I was not aware of Coach Strong and his achievements. It caused me to do a lot research and the more I read the more I was impressed and happy we landed him, even over some of my previous choices of bigger names. He leaves me no doubt he will have the fire in his belly to lead this team to a NC. I know he is not here for JUST the money as I felt some other big names would be. I feel we will be back on the tract to respectability and known as a though and physical team. How long has tha been since we've felt that way? It's feels so good to be excited about Texas Football again.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we got a real good coach. Just remember, however, that changing the culture at UT is going to take awhile. It will be interesting to see how many of our current players buy into to Strong's methods. Strong has his work cut out for him but he is exactly what we need if we are to change the culture at Texas. I for one will be pulling for him to succeed and to do so quickly.

Regarding Former Players:

Here is where I am on this. I understand he must, to an extent, "embrace" the tradition of Texas, but there are some guys who are such strong Mack-o-philes I don't think this is an appropriate time for them to be around. I understand its his job now to be here, but as an example, Quan Cosby is a guy who the new staff needs to keep an eye on.

Cosby has been adamant since his 2010 termination that Greg Davis:

* Was the best OC in America and an elite football mind

* The last four years were our fault because we (Longhorn Nation) "ran him off"

Lately his stance has also been:

* Mack Brown is king and (hinted at) Longhorn Nation will be sorry we "ran him off" too

He may mean well, and I dont know the guy personally, but Charlie Strong has to make a massive systemic change of the culture of entitlement and softness here. Very hard to do that with guys behind your back mumbling about how it was better under the other guy. This will be even more key when Pat Moorer is kicking their asses over the next few months and it becomes "too hard" for some kids.

On the other hand, guys like Ricky, KDV, some of the NFL guys who made it, you want them around. Guys like Henry Melton who were quick to point out this thing was in the toilet and not afraid to admit it. Real pros.

Just my opinion, but Bill OBrien had to fight this crap at Penn State. I dont want Coach Strong fighting it at Texas.

Edited by Whisenant

Is getting more excited every day?

After doing extensive research on Strong, I have to admit, I am now anticipating next season and ushering the the new era.

I want to see you and Shaunters in a cage fight as he's on record saying it's "not the right hire" and that BMDs are pissed. Might be right about the later, but to come out strongly on the former seems puzzling.

I was initially okay with this hire. However, the more you look at his background, see what UF, UL and USC people think about him, see his excellence in molding kids both on and off the field, the more excited I get.

The two questions I had about him were:

1) recruiting: I think to a certain extent, Texas recruits itself. it's like Duke or KU in basketball. We also sit on a talent laden goldmine. Getting Florida kids to a small town in Kentucky is not as hard as getting kids from Dallas and Houston to come to Austin. He's also got the benefit of having coached the most recent likely #1 pick in the draft and 4 years of excellence to sell, as opposed to the promise that he was selling right off. Plus, with an much larger amount of money for assistants, a lot of that could be mitigated by getting a couple rainmakers like Orgeron or Brewster on the staff

2) offense: I won't like Shawn Watson. I think he's a mediocre west coast guy who is a good qb coach. He's also the dick that coached at NU and got in Colt's face. I really want to see who he goes after at OC. If it's Watson, I'll deal. If he goes and gets a guy like Herman (or some other similiar caliber guy), then I'm much more enthustiastic. If the rumor that Wickline is a strong possiblity for OL, it makes the offense look a lot better

Nothing is a sure thing but Strong brings better coordinator credentials then Muschamp, who many were ready to annoint as savior, as well as 4 years to learn the ropes of being a HC (and make his initial mistakes). He's young, but not too young. He's a guy who seems to genuinely care about his kids and I think his recruiting may start off slowly but if he builds the monster I expect, will quickly take off.

Here is where I am on this. I understand he must, to an extent, "embrace" the tradition of Texas, but there are some guys who are such strong Mack-o-philes I don't think this is an appropriate time for them to around. I understand its his job now to be here, but as an example, Quan Cosby is a guy who the new staff needs to keep an eye on.

* Mack Brown is king and (hinted at) Longhorn Nation will be sorry we "ran him off" too

He may mean well, and I dont know the guy personally, but Charlie Strong has to make a massive systemic change of the culture of entitlement and softness here. Very hard to do that with guys behind your back mumbling about how it was better under the other guy. This will be even more key when Pat Moorer is kicking their asses over the next few months and it becomes "too hard" for some kids.

On the other hand, guys like Ricky, KDV, some of the NFL guys who made it, you want them around. Guys like Henry Melton who were quick to point out this thing was in the toilet and not afraid to admit it. Real pros.

Just my opinion, but Bill OBrien had to fight this crap at Penn State. I dont want Coach Strong fighting it at Texas.

Mack Brown sat atop his throne

Basking in the glory that VY brought home

Soon he proclaimed to all throughout the land

That it wasn't about Texas, it was about the man

As he sat on his laurels and broadened his scope

The world was his oyster, he demanded more rope

And he got it, and got more and got more again

He had all the bases covered but he forgot to win

Soon losses weren't the man's enemy

It was winning at all costs without integrity

But winning is what he was brought in to do

The class and the honor and how do you do

Are expected if you plan to stay coach for long

So they shitcanned his ass and brought in coach Strong

If Mack is half the man he proclaims to be

He'll get off the sideline and repeat after me

Coach Strong has my support in the upcoming fight

Stand Strong with the coach, he'll steer you right

Here is where I am on this. I understand he must, to an extent, "embrace" the tradition of Texas, but there are some guys who are such strong Mack-o-philes I don't think this is an appropriate time for them to around. I understand its his job now to be here, but as an example, Quan Cosby is a guy who the new staff needs to keep an eye on.

Frankly, I was surprised how few players actually came to Mack's defense during the last month or so. I think you will see a strong show of support from former players for the new regime during spring training in a few months.

Frankly, I was surprised how few players actually came to Mack's defense during the last month or so. I think you will see a strong show of support from former players for the new regime during spring training in a few months.

Thats true, and I used Cosby as an example because he was so foolish in his assertions. I hope they do rally around the new regime...and stay out if its way for awhile.

I have been excited since the announcement was made. I think he is a great fit and will do great things to change the culture and accountability at Texas. Texas will now be able to shake the soft label. Being able to recruit kids out of Florida and Georgia will help greatly. Really looking forward to the future!

I've gone from being underwhelmed to now thinking Strong is actually the best fit for us.

Was hoping for Saban- but now two images from the bowls stand out:

Saban on the sideline late in the 4th QTR vs OU, looking like he'd aged 10 years

Strong body surfing with the team in the locker room after curb-stomping Miami.

Funny how perceptions can change in a week or so.