Find results in...

Who Else

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is getting more excited every day?

After doing extensive research on Strong, I have to admit, I am now anticipating next season and ushering the the new era.

That is exactly how I feel McP. At first I was so disappointed with this hire but I am coming around now. Let's hope he's up to the challenge ahead of him. One thing is for sure...the future is looking pretty bright for the Horns again. Been a while since we could say that.

Is getting more excited every day?

After doing extensive research on Strong, I have to admit, I am now anticipating next season and ushering the the new era.

Boy you aren't kidding. The more I read, the more I am getting stoked. I really appreciate a guy who waits to inform a boss he is leaving in person. I am starting to think this may be the best hire out there. If I had known all I know now about him, he may have been my second choice to Saban originally. I always like him more than Briles. Patterson could have just taken all the power with this hire if it works out.

All I really needed to know was that he was the anti Mack. Once I started researching him I could not believe just how good of a fit he could potentially be. I understand why people had reservations about him in regards to the big names. The Big names are a more known commodity. We hear about them all the time. With a guy like Strong you have to research a little before seeing the potential.

Ironically if we would have hired him last year, right after the big win over a highly ranked Florida team, people would probably had less issues.

I am liking the hire and think he has a good chance to be a great hire.

Super excited right now.

I would be the first to offer an apology to Steve Patterson.

While I was never AGAINST this hire, I truly wondered if it was the right one for us and wether or not he did his due diligence. It took me some serious soul searching to come to terms with the hire as a reflection of anti-arrogance that UT had become. I put my "stamp of approval" on the hire, not because of Strong, but because what it said about UT and where we were willing to go to start climbing back up the mountain.

Now that I am learning more about Coach Strong and his background, I think we hired the right guy, not just because of what it says about our program, but because HE IS THE RIGHT GUY.

Sometimes the simple is really the hardest to understand.

I have been waiting for this day since after the 2010 season and was told "I wasn't doing my job". We will see great returns and I'm excited for the new direction of our football team. We have a football coach that actually knows football!

I would be the first to offer an apology to Steve Patterson.

While I was never AGAINST this hire, I truly wondered if it was the right one for us and wether or not he did his due diligence. It took me some serious soul searching to come to terms with the hire as a reflection of anti-arrogance that UT had become. I put my "stamp of approval" on the hire, not because of Strong, but because what it said about UT and where we were willing to go to start climbing back up the mountain.

Now that I am learning more about Coach Strong and his background, I think we hired the right guy, not just because of what it says about our program, but because HE IS THE RIGHT GUY.

Sometimes the simple is really the hardest to understand.

Very well said Ellie!

All I really needed to know was that he was the anti Mack. Once I started researching him I could not believe just how good of a fit he could potentially be. I understand why people had reservations about him in regards to the big names. The Big names are a more known commodity. We hear about them all the time. With a guy like Strong you have to research a little before seeing the potential.

Ironically if we would have hired him last year, right after the big win over a highly ranked Florida team, people would probably had less issues.

I am liking the hire and think he has a good chance to be a great hire.

Super excited right now.

My only concern is that he knows the importance of keeping the Longhorn Nation together, especially the former players. I want Texas to still be that place that alums and former players love and can come together.

I'm not worried about the football side of it, I think he will do a dynamite job.

I just hope he is more like DKR and less like Mackovic when it comes to PR etc

Overall I am excited to leave the country club era behind us

Have to confess that while I was intrigued about the possibility of Saban, I had some vague misgivings as to whether we would be giving up too much for the prospect of immediate gratification. While there's no question Saban has gotten results, I have often wondered about the cost (in terms of integrity, culture, etc.). And there's always the "past performance is no guarantee of future results" issue.

I don't feel the same anxiety about Strong, for whatever reason (rationalization, drinking the Kool-Aid, whatever). Seems like the man has a really strong sense of honor and commitment, and is not simply a mercenary out to achieve success at any cost.

Yeah, Saban might have given us success for a few years, but at his age he probably wouldn't have been a long-term play. What would be a coup would be to sign the next Saban, Fisher, Harbaugh, etc.--they were all unknowns once. I'm getting more comfortable with the notion that to the extent one can confidently predict any of this stuff, Strong shows as much promise as anyone could. I'm kind of excited.

I understand that reasonable minds can differ on these issues; I'm merely expressing one viewpoint.