Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here It Is

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I am disappointed for sure. Not sure if it was worth pushing Mack out now.

Oh, I am 100% certain that it was a good thing to get rid of Mack. We were well on our way to 1989, and I for one didn't want to see that again. It was time.

If anything, I think I need to start hitting the bottle after this announcement. We're Aggie copy cats

Why is UT copying A&M? Strong is a defensive head coach with a strong pedigree in the SEC. This is the exact opposite of Sumlin's coaching path. I'm waiting for you to explain how Strong and Sumlin are so alike.

If anything, I think I need to start hitting the bottle after this announcement. We're Aggie copy cats

Aggy copy cat...based on the hire of an African American coach I would assume....I cannot begin to tell you how disappointing this post is..seriously? Other than race these two have what in common? One is a defensive minded coach, the other an offense, UH v Louisville...I am far to frustrated with this post to even continue..

I'm a bit confused by all the negativity about the Strong hiring. It was not all that long ago that we were puffing out our chests and the aggys were shaking in their boots when Muschamp was hired and soon declared our coach-in-waiting. We were spouting that a defensive minded coach was just what we needed when Mack stepped down because the "soft" label whispers were just beginning. Now keep in mind, Muschamp had never been a head coach so he had no skins on the wall...but we were ok with this.

Strong seems to me to be pretty much the same as Muschamp, learned under quality coaches Lou Holtz and Urban Meyers, considered a great defensive mind, great recruiter, demands a lot from his players, etc. but there is one difference. He has been a head coach for 4 years and does have some skins on the wall. He has made Louisville a respectable program again and won a few bowl games...one a major upset. BTW...I think we all can agree that coach Muschamp has not exactly lived up to expectations as a head coach...yet.

So, if we were so comfortable with someone taking over the UT program with no coaching experience why the apprehension for coach Strong. I get it, I wanted Saban too, but I'm excited about coach Strong because he is excited to be here...just like Muschamp was until Mack soured it for him. Let's give him a chance before we already talk about going through this again in 4 years.

Wow I am disappointed for sure. Not sure if it was worth pushing Mack out now.

Wait, so $5MM salary, $5MM in Strong's buyout, $2.75MM + $1.3MM a year in mack buyout/payoff totaling $7.85MM per year wasn't worth it for a 4 year coach from a mid-tier school? :) I hear you. Expensive, but I'm hoping by some miracle it will be worth it.

If this comes to pass, what did the University of Texas do?

1. The Athletic Director, against the push of a lot of old guard donors who helped to poison the program they funded, hired the guy he felt was the best man for the job. He didn't shamelessly smooch the posteriors of two old men, he did what he felt was best for business.

2. Its proven the reach was made to the best man for any college job, and he said no. Its also proven the guy who wouldnt put aside his own ego for the betterment of the school and his president wrecked that opportunity. Even then, the job got done, and we were allegedly on the table with the man at 2 minutes till midnight twice. He chose to stay where he is. No loss there. Its not like this man would even have given a thought to any other school.

3. The AD didn't panic and go try to money whip his way into someone else. He vetted candidates, negotiated, and maybe placated a BMD ego or two. He was faced with a guy who said Ill take the job but I dont want to interview for it and had the stones to send him back from whence he came. He went out and found his guy, a guy who was apparently willing to wait and prove he was the man for the job, a man who apparently wants to be a Longhorn and lead this program back to the promised land.

4. Austin prides itself as a tolerant city. Its students are much the same. "What starts here changes the world", and yet up until January 4th 2014, no black man had ever headed up a major sports program here. That likely changes today. Welcome to the 21st century. Welcome to changing the world.

5. You wanted a defensive minded, Xs and Os type coach with passion, discipline, and the ability to find and develop QB talent. You got it.

So there are my five thoughts on this. We settled for nothing.

Agree with some of your thoughts there Whisenant.

But we did settle I think. Look at the Louisville schedule results over the last 2 years, and you'll see a lot of very tight games against lesser schools than Louisville that are more than a tad concerning. Last year they lost to Uconn and Syracuse, and Syracuse beat them down and scored 49 points against them. The 3 game stretch after UCF loss this year looks worse than that loss does to me.

No coach is perfect, no team is perfect. But I don't think this is a slam dunk hire. Hoping for the best of course, I really hope the OC hire is the right one.

Hold em high along with your pom poms. I know that mediocrity is irrelevant for the cheerleader types.

I believe your reaction is very similar to many in OU country when Stoops was hired. Speaking of Stoops, I believed he did a good job of schooling the master (Saban) last night. You just never know which is why you might want to give coach Strong a chance before you call him mediocre.

I'm shocked that Patterson made this choice. Certainly didn't warrant all this drama. If this is all he was going to do should have just kept Mack. He'll Central Florida beat him. I'm out....

How many UL games have you actually watched? I can guarantee you we will not lose a game because of 3 blocked punts like Mr. Football!

If this comes to pass, what did the University of Texas do?

1. The Athletic Director, against the push of a lot of old guard donors who helped to poison the program they funded, hired the guy he felt was the best man for the job. He didn't shamelessly smooch the posteriors of two old men, he did what he felt was best for business.

2. Its proven the reach was made to the best man for any college job, and he said no. Its also proven the guy who wouldnt put aside his own ego for the betterment of the school and his president wrecked that opportunity. Even then, the job got done, and we were allegedly on the table with the man at 2 minutes till midnight twice. He chose to stay where he is. No loss there. Its not like this man would even have given a thought to any other school.

3. The AD didn't panic and go try to money whip his way into someone else. He vetted candidates, negotiated, and maybe placated a BMD ego or two. He was faced with a guy who said Ill take the job but I dont want to interview for it and had the stones to send him back from whence he came. He went out and found his guy, a guy who was apparently willing to wait and prove he was the man for the job, a man who apparently wants to be a Longhorn and lead this program back to the promised land.

4. Austin prides itself as a tolerant city. Its students are much the same. "What starts here changes the world", and yet up until January 4th 2014, no black man had ever headed up a major sports program here. That likely changes today. Welcome to the 21st century. Welcome to changing the world.

5. You wanted a defensive minded, Xs and Os type coach with passion, discipline, and the ability to find and develop QB talent. You got it.

So there are my five thoughts on this. We settled for nothing.

THIS, plus we got a guy who has a track record of stopping Stoops;-)