Find results in...

Why is strong a bad hire?

DizzG

He's a fantastic hire.

- Very well respected among the coaching circles

- Knows how to recruit Texas and Souf Florida

- From team twitter pages, seems like all players are on board

- defensive minded--I'm confident he will bring in a top notch offensive coach

- We don't need a "splash hire"....we need a damn football coach.

I support Coach Strong and I'm ready fools!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He better be able to defend against the spread that is for sure. Every coach in the Big 12 is gonna want a piece of him. I don't see how he can make a dent in the recruiting battle either. Zero Texas ties. Zero. Patterson is the ballsiest son of a bitch I have ever seen.

I just don't believe Strong is the "best" Texas could get. That's not to say he won't do a good job. I was ripped pretty hard earlier when I suggested that surely we could do better. That's my opinion and I stand by it. Fisher would be better. Clearly Saban would be better. I think Briles would have been better from an in-state recruiting angle and I think Mora would have been just as good. We're Texas and we talk big, but we couldn't seem to lure the big dogs in the barn. I'll support Strong and be glad to do so, but when I say we could do better, I don't think I'm alone in that belief. FWIW

We need a recruit Magnet. My reason for wanting Saban was that he would instantly have reversed the recruiting momentum. We would see a lot of flips to us in the next few weeks because a lot of kids want to play for him & combined with everything else Texas has to offer, we would dominate recruiting on a National scale. There are other worthy candidates including certain NFL types who could almost accomplish the same thing. Fisher has been pulling in some heavyweights too, so it doesn't have to be Saban, but unless I know who his great staff will be, I'm not completely sold on how recruiting would do (especially this year) if Strong is hired. Otherwise, I don't think he's awful, & I like him better than Mora, so he's got that goin for him...... :)

This. Credibility with Texas HS kids early. This isn't 1998 with dykes, teaff, Blake, slocum, Osborne, he is up against. Now it's also miles, Saban, and fisher.

He's a fantastic hire.

Good post

He better be able to defend against the spread that is for sure. Every coach in the Big 12 is gonna want a piece of him. I don't see how he can make a dent in the recruiting battle either. Zero Texas ties. Zero. Patterson is the ballsiest son of a bitch I have ever seen.

Nothing is more overblown on message boards than the "texas ties". Mack Brown had zero Texas ties and owned Texas in recruiting for more than a decade. It's nonsense.

I just don't believe Strong is the "best" Texas could get. That's not to say he won't do a good job. I was ripped pretty hard earlier when I suggested that surely we could do better. That's my opinion and I stand by it. Fisher would be better. Clearly Saban would be better. I think Briles would have been better from an in-state recruiting angle and I think Mora would have been just as good. We're Texas and we talk big, but we couldn't seem to lure the big dogs in the barn. I'll support Strong and be glad to do so, but when I say we could do better, I don't think I'm alone in that belief. FWIW

You can't make coaches come to UT and coach. None of us have any real clue on who was talked to.

You can't make coaches come to UT and coach. None of us have any real clue on who was talked to.

But why wouldn't anyone not want to come coach here? We have all the resources and obviously money is no object. That's what we've been led to believe. Apparently the BMDs couldn't make it happen with Saban and the backing of former letterman wasn't good enough to make an offer to Briles. But it's time to stand Strong for Strong and that's what I intend to do.

Im sorry the way I see things you have to trust in the powers that made this happen. They obviously saw something in him to give him a shot. I remember when John Daniels hored Ron Washington it was a bit*ch to get people of the ledge. Now he's so loved by his clubhouse and has two WS under his belt.

Im sorry the way I see things you have to trust in the powers that made this happen. They obviously saw something in him to give him a shot. I remember when John Daniels hored Ron Washington it was a bit*ch to get people of the ledge. Now he's so loved by his clubhouse and has two WS under his belt.

That's a damn valid point, JMagana. And that's why I'm going to put my burnt orange on and shave my head. I'm nearly bald anyway. I'll have to hit the weight room to get a build like Chuck's and I'll stay in the tanning booth a bit longer. :P In all seriousness, that's a great point.

Edited by RoyalCrowns

And none of those are better coaches than strong and really means nothing at all

Not saying he's a bad hire but major programs have a hard time replacing a legend. Dubose is basically our Applewhite with his trial run at OC. And Franchione is our Strong after turning around TCU and heading to Alabama. The truth is.. we don't know how Strong will do at Texas. I hope he does well but history isn't on his side. Even Muschamp is having a hard time following Meyer.

I think you have to hire a HC that's even bigger than your previous legendary coach. Ohio State got it right by replacing Tressel with Meyer. I think that's why people are disappointed with Strong. It's not because of who Strong is. I'm sure he's a great coach and I'll support him but the fans wanted a big splash hire that immediately brings momentum to the program.

Not saying he's a bad hire but major programs have a hard time replacing a legend. Dubose is basically our Applewhite with his trial run at OC. And Franchione is our Strong after turning around TCU and heading to Alabama. The truth is.. we don't know how Strong will do at Texas. I hope he does well but history isn't on his side. Even Muschamp is having a hard time following Meyer.

I think you have to hire a HC that's even bigger than your previous legendary coach. Ohio State got it right by replacing Tressel with Meyer. I think that's why people are disappointed with Strong. It's not because of who Strong is. I'm sure he's a great coach and I'll support him but the fans wanted a big splash hire that immediately brings momentum to the program.

My thoughts exactly!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One fact about Charlie Strong that should help <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Longhorns&src=hash">#Longhorns</a> fans sleep: Held OU 2008 offense to 14 pts, 363 yds in '08 BCS title game. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HookEm&src=hash">#HookEm</a></p>— Jeff Howe (@JeffHowe247) <a href="

">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>That OU offense was led by Sam Bradford and averaged 54 points per game. Scored 35 on Muschamp's D inside the Cotton Bowl. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HookEm&src=hash">#HookEm</a></p>— Jeff Howe (@JeffHowe247) <a href="

">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Charlie Strong, if hired at Texas, would be a great hire and win many games and get us into the playoffs. He may not have the wins and titles like Saban but he hasnt coached a the places Nick has nor does he have the years of HC experience that Nick does.

Charlie brings a great defensive mind and passion to the HC position. If he hires the right guys, like i think he and Patterson will, Texas will have a dynamic staff that will recruit lights out in Texas and get a few gems from Florida. IF Coach Strong is the next coach at Texas, Texas will have made a great hire. Its just not Saban, who has been there done that, but thats ok.

Thank god!!! You speak complete logic and truth! Strong is a great hire! Young! Energetic! Put Louisville back on the map! CHOSE A QB THAT MAY GO NUMBER ONE IN THIS YEARS DRAFT! Saban just got rocked by OU and lost to auburn also! He clearly isn't the best coach vs our conferences style of FB. He is a great coach but he is not all knowing and doing... Bama will be down next year... And continue down as the rest of the conference speeds up their play. IMO.

Strong is a great hire. Support the man till you have a reason not to.

IMO Mora and Briles are in no way better coaches than Strong. Did you see the lack of discipline displayed by Baylor, the most penalized team in the country? And Mora? Why? Strong is not on the level of Jimbo, for sure and Jimbo was my choice. I didn't want Saban. The dude is shitty to the kids he recruits. He runs his program like a business and crushes kids in the process... On another note, after the circus this hire turned into, how many coaches do you think wanted to come to UT? This was ridiculous from start to finish. After a while I started to just hope anybody would want to come coach for us... I have to say, IMO, this was handled so poorly from start to finish.

I am only rebutting respectfully, with my opinion... I respect your opinion but disagree with some of it. HOOK EM!

Charlie Strong would be great at Texas. The guy is a great fit for everything we want out of a coach. People forget that even Saban came from somewhere before he became a legend...

Great point. The exact reason I like this hire is we're not shooting behind the deer. CS is rising, has a great pedigree, is a proven recruiter, and has shown the leadership to take perennial doormat Louisville from back to back 1-6 seasons to prominence. What would Texas have looked like with Bridgewater under center this year and an engaged defensive-minded HC?

I don't think the disappointment is related to the hiring of Strong as much as the not hiring or being turned down by Saban or other tier 1 coaches.. Based on confirmed reports Patterson interviewed- Strong and Franklin… from these choices I would choose Strong. Not sure if we will ever know if anyone else was interviewed.

i really hated it when Dodds said- "we are the joneses"… illusions of grandeur being played out for everyone to see.

It is not a bad hire at all. The players will respond well to Charlie Strong. The guy is a leader and charismatic and they will play hard for him. "Soft Texas" is now over, that much we can be sure of.

Edited by Sejjr

The players will respond well to Charlie Strong. The guy is a leader and charismatic and they will play hard for him. "Soft Texas" is now over, that much we can be sure of.

As much as I want to believe you, we have no proof of that any more than the opposite. This is an underwhelming choice and we will be split as a fan and alumni base until he either wins big or loses big. My greatest fear is we stay mediocre and half our group is too proud to pull the trigger again. So he promised an elite staff? What does that mean? Who does that mean?

He's a fantastic hire.

I like Charlie Strong a lot and am excited about the hire. However, i dont think he knows how to recruit Texas just yet. He needs to get at least 2 guys that do. Maybe Major will be one of those guys?(but as a position coach, not OC)

Edited by TheContractor