Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Exciting phone call (not search related)

Sirhornsalot

Congrats on the news.

My son plays OT and DT, and we are just beginning the process (he's a junior). He was waffling between football and baseball, then he was unanimous selection on his all-conference team this football season. We are somewhat limited where he can play (Div III, maybe Div II) because of his size. If we can find a situation that's flexible, he might walk-on for baseball.

How big is your son?

You can expect to see some letters coming in by end of the spring semester. Your son likely isn't finished growing so let it play out, there are months and months ahead. He will grow and he will improve, his stock will rise. You might have a talk with your HC and let him know what you're son's goals are, if your son hasn't had that conversation with him already.

In my son's case, I watched as he played QB in his early years. He played there because he can throw so well, very strong arm. Last spring, I realized my son might find a real niche if he could utilize that arm strength at deep snapper. We worked on it. He won the job on the second day of two-a-days. His snaps are nice, tight spirals that get there quick. And he really enjoys doing it. He wears my back yard shed out, snapping to a target on the side of the shed.

Size? Depends on when you ask, ha ha. We now have terms around here such as "first supper" and "second supper." I tell people I have to go home and feed the Brandon. He's about 6'1, 250, and runs a 4.9.

You can expect to see some letters coming in by end of the spring semester. Your son likely isn't finished growing so let it play out, there are months and months ahead. He will grow and he will improve, his stock will rise. You might have a talk with your HC and let him know what you're son's goals are, if your son hasn't had that conversation with him already.

In my son's case, I watched as he played QB in his early years. He played there because he can throw so well, very strong arm. Last spring, I realized my son might find a real niche if he could utilize that arm strength at deep snapper. We worked on it. He won the job on the second day of two-a-days. His snaps are nice, tight spirals that get there quick. And he really enjoys doing it. He wears my back yard shed out, snapping to a target on the side of the shed.

Size? Depends on when you ask, ha ha. We now have terms around here such as "first supper" and "second supper." I tell people I have to go home and feed the Brandon. He's about 6'1, 250, and runs a 4.9.

I hear ya on the first and second supper thing. ;)

We had discussed the snapping thing because we have a coach that is good at teaching it... he has a son that is currently the long snapper at Colorado State. And that kid is a LOT smaller than 6'1" and 250. Unfortunately, my son has little interest in snapping... he found his niche being one of the upbacks on the punt team. I gather that if your son does well in JUCO, there is likely a place for him at Division I somewhere... its just a skill in very high demand... and you don't have to be a "giant". I think it's a very smart thing to do.

My son's OL coach has a son that was a 4-year starter at OU, and is now a graduate assistant there after 2 years in the NFL-- so he knows the ropes pretty well. This coach thinks that the real wildcard for my son is growth over the next 18 months-- but right now Division II is the most likely destination. My boy is almost exactly the same size as yours (6'1", 260 lbs) and was running in the 4.9 forty range-- which is actually kind of freaky, isn't it? Adding an inch or two would add 20-30 pounds pretty easily on his frame. Coach says my son is probably best suited for Center in college... but is used right now at Tackle because of his footwork and speed. He wants to play him at center next year... but from a team standpoint, we probably won't have that luxury.

We are starting to send out stuff here pretty soon... getting all the Hudl highlights ready. Good luck to your son... I hope that he lands somewhere special.

I hear ya on the first and second supper thing. ;)

We had discussed the snapping thing because we have a coach that is good at teaching it... he has a son that is currently the long snapper at Colorado State. And that kid is a LOT smaller than 6'1" and 250. Unfortunately, my son has little interest in snapping... he found his niche being one of the upbacks on the punt team. I gather that if your son does well in JUCO, there is likely a place for him at Division I somewhere... its just a skill in very high demand... and you don't have to be a "giant". I think it's a very smart thing to do.

My son's OL coach has a son that was a 4-year starter at OU, and is now a graduate assistant there after 2 years in the NFL-- so he knows the ropes pretty well. This coach thinks that the real wildcard for my son is growth over the next 18 months-- but right now Division II is the most likely destination. My boy is almost exactly the same size as yours (6'1", 260 lbs) and was running in the 4.9 forty range-- which is actually kind of freaky, isn't it? Adding an inch or two would add 20-30 pounds pretty easily on his frame. Coach says my son is probably best suited for Center in college... but is used right now at Tackle because of his footwork and speed. He wants to play him at center next year... but from a team standpoint, we probably won't have that luxury.

We are starting to send out stuff here pretty soon... getting all the Hudl highlights ready. Good luck to your son... I hope that he lands somewhere special.

Thanks my friend. And good luck to your son for the coming season!