Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why so much hate for Mora?

DizzG

I've actually being saying for the last two months that I would love for Mora to join Texas. He isn't my #1 candidate, but when you get to the pack beyond the sexy four (Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Fisher), he is at or near the top for me. Mora is a high-energy, hard nosed, aggressive coach. He punched USC right in the mouth on the field and in recruiting as soon as he landed at UCLA. He has been a great recruiter, landing a top 10 and top 15 rivals class in his first two classes of recruits at UCLA. His class this year isn't as highly rated, but it is also a really small class (13) that would be top 20 by average ranking if you removed the size weighting.

As a little perspective, UCLA has been a moribund program since the mid 90's, going 64-63 in the 10 years before Mora arrived on campus. They won more than 8 games in a season only once in the 10 seasons before Mora's arrival, and he has thrown together a 9-4 and 10-3 season, back to back. For those not familiar with UCLA, they have historically been one of the cheapest programs in the Pac 10 / 12, loathe to spend money on facilities and on assembling an assistant coaching staff. Mora has pushed to change the culture at UCLA, which has been impressive to watch. I think he would flourish at Texas, especially if he was given the bankroll to hire a killer staff. I think he would drive the type of cultural change that needs to happen at Texas.

Mora is smart, well spoken, and used to the being in the spotlight from his NFL tenure. He also has network / analyst experience with the NFL Network. These two pieces are important for the Texas coach, because we demand so much from the head man with respect to fundraising, donor relations, the LHN, etc. There is more pressure on the Texas coach off the field arguably than any other job in the country. Here too, Mora would excel.

Finally, I will add that he is extremely well respected in the coaching circles and with cfb analysts. I don't really care what the analysts say, but the coaches tend to carry a little more weight with me...

At 25 after the opening hour of Cowherd this morning, Colin speaks highly of Mora. Says he's really intense. No non-sense guy. What Texas needs to become more energetic.

UCLA fan base is light years down on the meter from Texas. I can warm up to Mora more than I am now for Franklin, Strong, Briles.

Seems he would just be John Mackovic Lite....been there done that.

I am afraid in a couple of years it would not be pretty.

Mora is known to be a demanding hard ass at times. Well polished and lots of coaching experience. Still pretty young and would prob surround himself with a big time staff. Is really good friends with Lane Kiffin

Im not seeing the "Wine and Cheese" type comparison to Mackovic IMO

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UCLA&src=hash">#UCLA</a> coach Jim Mora withdrew from considerations for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texas&src=hash">#Texas</a> vacancy. Was never offered the job, per source. Mora's family loves LA set-up</p>— Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a href="

">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/search?q=%23UCLA&src=hash']);" href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UCLA&src=hash">#UCLA</a> coach Jim Mora withdrew from considerations for <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/search?q=%23Texas&src=hash']);" href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texas&src=hash">#Texas</a> vacancy. Was never offered the job, per source. Mora's family loves LA set-up</p>— Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'Outgoing', 'twitter.com', '/BFeldmanCBS/statuses/419157546306240512']);" href="
">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting. Usually when guys start to withdraw from consideration that means something is about to go down.