Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Change

Even Mack Brown understood that change needed occur years ago when Mack starting hiring out of the SEC the majority of the time.

Starting with Chizik DC from Auburn, Muschamp DC from Auburn & LSU, Manny Diaz MSU, Stacy Searles Georgia, Bo Davis Alabama DL coach, Porter former LSU RB coach and now Patrick Suddes heading up the player personnel department. All of these coaches were given a reference by Nick Saban. I find it ironic the Mack has such disdain for how Saban ran his programs but, was always eager to ask Sabans buy in when we were looking to upgrade on the coaching staff or in the player personnel department.

With the mention of Ed O. you can see the trend continue in the area of being a innovative recruiter that has built strong foundations against the toughest of competition. Texas ma be putting a stagg together that can truly recruit nationwide if needed.

The selection of our next coach is going to be huge but, don't let that get lost on the staff being put together. That in itself is mostly likely going to make us or break us in the long run.

I can see why any coach on our list would consider Oregon. And most of all Harbaugh. Harbaugh needs O more than the other coaches for recruiting alone.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why any coach on our list would consider Oregon. And most of all Harbaugh. Harbaugh needs O more than the other coaches for recruiting alone.

My first thought: if this is true, it has to be Saban due to the recent "scouting" trip Kiffin did to Bama. However, after considering the situation, I could absolutely see this being Harbaugh or even a guy like Gruden that needs to hit the ground running on college recruiting. There are a lot of things that I'm not fond of with respect to Orgeron, but you cannot deny the fact that he is one of the game's best recruiters. Maybe THE best recruiter.

This is a great post. I have always thought about this inconsistency as well with regard to the coaches Mack was bringing in. Could it be the meeting last year soured Mack? Perhaps Mack never really cared for Saban and was using him for input? I guess we will never know. Regardless, change is coming and it will be drastic and swift. This is a good thing.

The first thought that came to my head when Orgeron was mentioned was how perfect he'd be with a guy like Harbaugh. The biggest question you have regarding a guy like Harbaugh is recruiting. So why not go out and hire what might be the best recruiter in the country to help him learn the ropes? Not to mention the fact that Ed O is a pretty damn good defensive line coach in his own right.

And if you want someone that is completely opposite of the Mack Brown type of coach, Ed O is that guy. Mack would have never hired someone like that on the staff. I'd literally hire Ed O right now even if we didn't have a coach lined up. That's how highly thought of that he is when it comes to recruiting and coaching the d-line.

what kind of role do you see Oregeron taking on IF he comes to Texas and does this mean we are all in on Harbaugh? In your opinion of course!

If I'm hiring Ed O, he's going to be Assistant HC/DL coach/Recruiting Coordinator. No chance at being the DC because he's never been one before and because I want him focusing more on recruiting than anything else.

Plus with the additional titles you can pay him a lot more than if he were just the DL coach.

This is a great post. I have always thought about this inconsistency as well with regard to the coaches Mack was bringing in. Could it be the meeting last year soured Mack? Perhaps Mack never really cared for Saban and was using him for input? I guess we will never know. Regardless, change is coming and it will be drastic and swift. This is a good thing.

Maybe what soured Mack was the recommendation of Diaz;-0

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining but, Ed O would fit the agenda of any coach we we bring on. Ed O sound like Saban, Fisher and Strong selection first. Although Harbaugh could probably get the most upfront mileage from having a guy like Ed O on his staff?

Keep in mind, that the vetting firm might have encouraged us to bring him and if we like him, sell him on the incoming coach. Maye the vetting firm is not only looking at the top HC's for us but, in addition, the best assistant caoches available?

Maybe I did a poor job of explaining but, Ed O would fit the agenda of any coach we we bring on. Ed O sound like Saban, Fisher and Strong selection first. Although Harbaugh could probably get the most upfront mileage from having a guy like Ed O on his staff?

Keep in mind, that the vetting firm might have encouraged us to bring him and if we like him, sell him on the incoming coach. Maye the vetting firm is not only looking at the top HC's for us but, in addition, the best assistant caoches available?

Why are we discussing assistants when we don't have a head coach. My assumption is the HC will be hiring the assistants, is that incorrect? Is Patterson going Jerry Jones on us?

Well thats not completely fair, over half the GM's in the NFL have the final say on assitants, not the HC, it happening right now with the Giants. But I haven't seen it happen at the college level.

Please dont start following the footsteps of Jerry Jones. Let the coach hire his coaches.

For what we are paying them it's probably the right thing to do in offering advice/guidance on that end as well haha

Or maybe Saban gave Patterson a list and said I need these people on my staff to accept your offer.

Per OB, Ed O in San Antonio for his son at the Army National Combine and has had no contact with Texas.

Sounds like just another unsubstantiated rumor.

Perhaps all these message boards really have become are big gossip sites. Maybe we should check TMZ for what is really happening

The timing of a Harbaugh-Orgeron is suspect as Patterson has not yet even had his face to face with John. It seems unlikely we are going to be telling the new coach, "Hey, we've already hired this guy for you, hope you dont mind." It seems much more likely Ed has been quietly having discussions with CNS' guy or guys (or possibly Malzahn or Fisher).

There is also one additional possibility that hasn't been discussed here yet. We already know that Ed wanted to go from interim to actual head coach at USC, and had some support for that. He has also already been a head coach in the SEC. So, it seems just as reasonable that he used the excuse of already being in San Antonio to try and get himself an interview with Patterson for the HC position. Instead of attempting to land an assistant position on someone else's staff, perhaps he was after the primary job. We have heard from our people already that Patterson has been hearing from many folks about this opening.

Without talking to Mack Brown directly, I don't think anyone here knows whether he's got distain for Saban or not. What seems clear is it's important to someone to send the message out that Mack Brown has distain for Saban. So I think all we really know is that there's a leaker with distain for Mack Brown.

I think a little caution is deserved in judging people from third, fourth, and fifth hand accounts.

Per OB, Ed O in San Antonio for his son at the Army National Combine and has had no contact with Texas.

Sounds like just another unsubstantiated rumor.

Take that how you want but, it would be nice for OB's to start reporting on real news instead of reporting on what someone else is reporting.

Just saying.