Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sell me on the idea of Texas going independent in football?

I'm a little worn out from the coaching search discussion...

2013 has emphasized to me that the effects of losing A&M / Missouri / Nebraska have opened the door to a conference decline for the Big XII. Before their departure, we were arguably the 2nd best football conference. Now, I'm not so sure that you can't say the SEC, PAC, and ACC, aren't ahead of the Big 12. I'm not going to regurgitate the data, but everything from TV eyeballs to rankings to bowl game results to recruiting momentum suggest Dodds dropped the ball in the conference alignment game.

Can anyone sell me on the idea of Texas going independent for football? How will the pending changes with the playoff structure impact independents? Would we be able to structure a compelling schedule? What would we do with the other sports?

Nothing great about going independent IMO. Look at ND, they're nationally prominent but have been terrible at football for a while now. Even they smartened up and joined the ACC half way.

I'm very weary if we become independent. If the big 12 falls we should try our hardest to get into the SEC and that pains me to say that.

The Pac12 doesn't have crowds and people don't care about football out there.

The ACC is too far and a BBall first conference.

Big 10 is terrible and our traveling time would be ridiculous and would be playing in cold ass weather.

This leaves the SEC :/

My first preference would be for the Big 12 to expand by trying to woo a couple of our neighbors - Arkansas and LSU. You say this could never happen? Did you ever believe the Big East would fail, aggy and nebbie would bolt or RUTGERS to the B1G? Would you have ever believed that WVU would join the Big 12? Never say never.

Deloss Dodds humongous ego cost us FSU and Clemson, IMO. At the very least, FSU and Louisville.

My first preference would be for the Big 12 to expand by trying to woo a couple of our neighbors - Arkansas and LSU. You say this could never happen? Did you ever believe the Big East would fail, aggy and nebbie would bolt or RUTGERS to the B1G? Would you have ever believed that WVU would join the Big 12? Never say never.

Deloss Dodds humongous ego cost us FSU and Clemson, IMO. At the very least, FSU and Louisville.

LSU and Arky to Big 12. Your right nothing is impossible but I think it more likely that UT joins the SEC before those 2 make what would be the dumbest decision of sports management history.

Nothing great about going independent IMO. Look at ND, they're nationally prominent but have been terrible at football for a while now. Even they smartened up and joined the ACC half way.

I'm very weary if we become independent. If the big 12 falls we should try our hardest to get into the SEC and that pains me to say that.

The Pac12 doesn't have crowds and people don't care about football out there.

The ACC is too far and a BBall first conference.

Big 10 is terrible and our traveling time would be ridiculous and would be playing in cold ass weather.

This leaves the SEC :/

Ugh...now I need a shower.

I don't think UT will ever join the SEC. Academic lobby at UT wants nothing to do with those rednecks. IMHO, it'll be a halfway deal similar to what ND has with the ACC if we leave the Big 12.

No one is advocating for Texas to go 100% independent in football. But, it would be a world series walk off grand-slam homerun for Texas to go with an associate football membership in the ACC (and full membership in other sports). One of the biggest hurdles full independence brought was having to fill out a 12 game schedule each year and access certain bowl games to be able to claim a MNC.

The four team playoff minimizes the bowl access in a way because as long as you make the top four teams, you're going to play for a national title. No more "hoping" the Orange, Cotton, or Fiesta Bowl would be your chance for a natty. Back in the day, teams knew if you won the SWC you would go to the Cotton Bowl and possibly be voted the National Champions if you won. Same thing with the Rose, Orange. The BCS cleared things up.

The ACC makes a ton of sense because of a few things:

Money would be better (UT has seen the #s and we would make closer to $50mil per year)

Academics would be a TON better (UVA, DUke, Gtech, ND, UNC, Miami, Wake, etc)

Footprint/Favorable growing demographics that produce plenty of athletes

Increased prestige with ND as partial member

ESPN owns all three tiers of ACC TV rights so LHN would easily be assimilated and unchanged

ACC has zero presence in Texas. Imagine what that could do for their TV agreement? I would bet all ACC schools would love access to the lucrative Texas market to compete with the SEC and Big 10 for viewership.

This would allow unprecedented exposure on a national scale for all sports and new access into the growing ACC footprint. States like Florida, GA, SC, NC, NYC, VA, and PA etc. Have you ever wondered why the Cowboys compete in the NFC East? By 2030, 55% of the US population will be in the ACC footprint.

We can still play a schedule that is a brilliant balance of Texas centric teams and ACC teams along with a team from PAC or B1G. We could also adjust easier to the ebb and flow of college football. If Miami ever came back to what they were, or even Vtech, we could adjust our schedule somewhere else to compensate for teams that get better. Same thing if a program declines.

While UT is a football school, basketball revenues are also significant. If UT played Duke, UNC, Lville, Cuse, Clemson, ND, Pitt, etc every year, that would do wonders for Texas basketball. Stuff you can't even fathom.

Baseball would be great.

Travel is easier with the time zone change vs out west

I would love the SEC as well, but that's not happening.

ACC is the place to be.

The only negative I see is that if Texas didn't make the four team playoff, we would be "in limbo" in terms of what bowl we would end up in. However, we would be a free agent and end up in the best place possible anyway.

Edited by Nakona Horn

Guys and gals - I don't disagree with anyone arguing against independence, as I am not personally an advocate. I'm also projecting some short term trends into long term ones to argue that the Big XII isn't stable. It is obviously WAY too early to know with certainty what will happen with our new conference line-up and the pending playoff structure.

However, I keep coming back to the idea of independence because the LHN has put Texas in a very strange position. It really restricts our ability to be a member of a conference, particularly making the prospect of changing conferences difficult. I keep asking myself the same question: has independence been the game plan all along from the Texas brass? Or maybe they didn't realize the full ramifications when the LHN launched?

Guys and gals - I don't disagree with anyone arguing against independence, as I am not personally an advocate. I'm also projecting some short term trends into long term ones to argue that the Big XII isn't stable. It is obviously WAY too early to know with certainty what will happen with our new conference line-up and the pending playoff structure.

However, I keep coming back to the idea of independence because the LHN has put Texas in a very strange position. It really restricts our ability to be a member of a conference, particularly making the prospect of changing conferences difficult. I keep asking myself the same question: has independence been the game plan all along from the Texas brass? Or maybe they didn't realize the full ramifications when the LHN launched?

You raise a very good point, and with the inception of LHN it really has ostracized UT within the conference. Whether there was a grand scheme to have it facilitate going independent may be a stretch, but it certainly did nothing benefit the conference. LHN backed by its big ESPN contract was expected to be a much bigger success and bring in more $$$, but has flopped enormously.

Since money seems to be the root of what drives these endeavors. Would UT stand to make more $$$ going independent?

You raise a very good point, and with the inception of LHN it really has ostracized UT within the conference. Whether there was a grand scheme to have it facilitate going independent may be a stretch, but it certainly did nothing benefit the conference. LHN backed by its big ESPN contract was expected to be a much bigger success and bring in more $$$, but has flopped enormously.

Since money seems to be the root of what drives these endeavors. Would UT stand to make more $$$ going independent?

Absolutely we would make more money. One reason why UT brass would scoff at everyone who says UT was greedy during conference realignment. We leave money on the table being in a conference with the likes of KSU, TCU, ISU, Baylor, etc.