Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Patterson's Epic Fail?

TexasFirst1

If the new UT head coach is anyone but Saban, Fisher, Malzahn or John Harbaugh, Patterson will have orchestrated a historic epic fail for UT that will rightfully perpetuate the perception that the UT culture and administration are completely clueless and inept. It would reaffirm all the worst underachieving stereotypes of UT and the entire Big 12 and aggy will breathe an enormous sigh of relief that UT is doomed to mediocrity in perpetuity. UT will remain the laughingstock of college football.

Edited by TexasFirst1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the new UT head coach is anyone but Saban, Fisher, Malzahn or John Harbaugh, Patterson will have orchestrated a historic epic fail for UT that will rightfully perpetuate the perception that the UT culture and administration are completely clueless and inept. It would reaffirm all the worst underachieving stereotypes of UT and the entire Big 12 and aggy will breathe an enormous sigh of relief that UT is doomed to mediocrity in perpetuity. UT will remain the laughingstock of college football.

are you being serious ? or is this trolling? That's a pretty big overreaction if serious. Texas isnt even a laughingstock right now as they were a win away from going to the Fiesta Bowl this season despite some bad losses, and some big uncertainty about Mack's future. Texas should be better but laughingstock is usually reserved for horrible programs last I checked. I've heard some people nationally think Mack should have stayed which I dont agree with. They need a good hire, but its not like this program is rotting near the bottom of the big 12.

I would love if Texas hired any of the guys you mentioned, but they aren't the ONLY choices out there that could win at Texas. For one, despite what some here and elsewhere may think....if Texas hired Charlie Strong, or even someone like Art Briles nationally they would get strong marks for it.

Listening to a lot of the national shows lately several of the college analysts have been saying both those guys would be great hires for Texas....even Franklin (who I would not pick). Listening to ESPN radio over the weekend both Strong and Briles were called big hires if Texas went that way...like it or not

Edited by DizzG

No joke, the money may be great but being the coach at UT has alot more tied to it than other schools. Some coaches may not look at the extra responsabilities as a bonus. I think having new blood will be a huge bonus over what we have had, let's wait and see how the new coach does before we label him or Patterson an epic fail.

You are surely entitled to your opinion, but it sure seems be an overreaction. With any coaching hire (big name or whatever), only a passage of time and results allow an honest evaluation. First impressions are often incorrect.

are you being serious ? or is this trolling? That's a pretty big overreaction if serious. Texas isnt even a laughingstock right now as they were a win away from going to the Fiesta Bowl this season despite some bad losses, and some big uncertainty about Mack's future. Texas should be better but laughingstock is usually reserved for horrible programs last I checked. I've heard some people nationally think Mack should have stayed which I dont agree with. They need a good hire, but its not like this program is rotting near the bottom of the big 12.

I would love if Texas hired any of the guys you mentioned, but they aren't the ONLY choices out there that could win at Texas. For one, despite what some here and elsewhere may think....if Texas hired Charlie Strong, or even someone like Art Briles nationally they would get strong marks for it.

Listening to a lot of the national shows lately several of the college analysts have been saying both those guys would be great hires for Texas....even Franklin (who I would not pick). Listening to ESPN radio over the weekend both Strong and Briles were called big hires if Texas went that way...like it or not

Perfectly stated Dizz. I've not heard a single pundit not suggest Texas is one of the best coaching jobs in all of football...NFL and college. I'm pretty sure laughing stock programs don't garner that type of national praise. As many have stated, just because we may not get one of the 4 you mentioned does not mean the one we do get will not be successful and/or favorably viewed nationally as a solid hire.

I think we have to have faith in Patterson at this point and wait a couple of years before we through him under the bus.

Seems like Patterson has did a good job of getting down to 4-6 guys that he could see coaching at Texas. He can't make the top names on the list come here. I understand that this is a very important hire but there is a chance that the top 3-4 names on that list may not come. I hope the alums and fans can support the hire and give him a chance. I don't think it goes any lower than Strong and while he isn't Saban he is a good coach.

The only thing that would frustrate me regarding not landing a big fish (Saban, Harbaugh, Fisher): if Patterson didn't leverage all of Texas' resources to make a compelling pitch. The big guys have great or very good jobs, and historically it is tough to swing guys between the big jobs. I know it is all subjective at this point, but I think any of the following would potentially excel at Texas: Malzahn, Dantonio, Briles, Mora Jr.

So there are only four coaches in the entire world that can have success at UT, Ok, I have it. And if its not one of them, we might as well forfeit the games, close up the program. Did you see your psychic today?

The responses to this post reflect the reality that the UT fan base has been conditioned to accept mediocrity for so long that the hiring of a second or third tier coach at this critical juncture is a cause for acquiescence or "wait and see" and support for whoever is hired rather than alarm that UT has failed to market itself to the top tier alternatives. If the top tier guys say no, they are saying no to UT culture and administration to stay in situations that have far less long term compensation potential and resources.

Outside the bubble of avid UT fans, the rest of the world sees a major university with better resources than anyone else that has settled for underachievement and mediocrity for the last 40 years with the exception of the miracle of VY. They see the state of Alabama playing for its 5th MNC in a row. They see a fan base, culture and administration that do not demand championship excellence. They see a major university with huge resources posting the following recent records against its lesser competition in the Big 12.

BU - 1-3

OU - 1-3

KSU - 1-5

OSU - 1-3

TCU - 1-1

The University of Texas is worthy of everyone's respect but its football team has become a laughingstock and EVERYONE is watching to see if anything has really changed at UT or if this has all been reshuffling of the deck chairs of the Titanic. UT needs a coaching hire that sends a clear message that the UT nation is truly committed to excellence in the future. A second and third tier head coach hire will be cause for relief by all UT rivals and cause for the belief that UT will never get it right.

Patterson's job is to ignite a major surge of fan, donor, alumni, and media enthusiasm, not to provoke a "wait and see" response.

Edited by TexasFirst1

So there are only four coaches in the entire world that can have success at UT, Ok, I have it. And if its not one of them, we might as well forfeit the games, close up the program. Did you see your psychic today?

No, but those four are the top tier and the failure to induce any one of them to come to UT with all its money and resources will be an epic fail at this point in time that will not optimize the fan, donor and recruit response.

The responses to this post reflect the reality that the UT fan base has been conditioned to accept mediocrity for so long that the hiring of a second or third tier coach at this critical juncture is a cause for acquiescence or "wait and see" and support for whoever is hired rather than alarm that UT has failed to market itself to the top tier alternatives. If the top tier guys say no, they are saying no to UT culture and administration to stay in situations that have far less long term compensation potential and resources.

Outside the bubble of avid UT fans, the rest of the world sees a major university with better resources than anyone else that has settled for underachievement and mediocrity for the last 40 years with the exception of the miracle of VY. They see the state of Alabama playing for its 5th MNC in a row. They see a fan base, culture and administration that do not demand championship excellence. They see a major university with huge resources posting the following recent records against its lesser competition in the Big 12.

BU - 1-3

OU - 1-3

KSU - 1-5

OSU - 1-3

TCU - 1-1

The University of Texas is worthy of everyone's respect but its football team has become a laughingstock and EVERYONE is watching to see if anything has really changed at UT or if this has all been reshuffling of the deck chairs of the Titanic. UT needs a coaching hire that sends a clear message that the UT nation is truly committed to excellence in the future. A second and third tier head coach hire will be cause for relief by all UT rivals and cause for the belief that UT will never get it right.

Patterson's job is to ignite a major surge of fan, donor, alumni, and media enthusiasm, not to provoke a "wait and see" response.

Just as an FYI...there was/is a major surge of fans, very larger donors, alumni and media types that think Mack Brown should still be coaching. Don't confuse our willingness to "wait and see" if the hire was a good one by the actual results on the field to mean we will not be enthusiastic and supportive of the new hire immediately. I know I'm excited, very excited in fact, for the future and culture change that is coming and I'm sure that is one of Patterson's "must have's" during the interview process.

I, too, share your concerns from afar. Question: what is every candidate we offer(ed) on the 1A list says "No thanks."?

I am beginning to get anxious this could turn out to be the case. We should have fired Mack midseason and poached the coach of our choice ala USC. Our current process has only gotten every high profile "candidate" an enormous raise/extension. Our process overall should have taken on a more clandestine nature. I pray Patterson is a smart man...

I believe what TexasFirst1 is trying to say is Texas should get whoever Texas wants and to shoot high and miss could be a disaster. I would add the names Briles and Shaw to the quartet mentioned above. Let's face it, if Texas is unable to lasso any from a mix that includes Saban, Fisher, Malzahn, John Harbaugh, Art Briles or David Shaw, then it may very well be viewed as simply settling. FWIW.

Jesus - people are saying wait and see because the only important aspect outside of things like not cheating, having integrity, etc of the new coaching hire is they win here. What their name is or anything else in the grand scheme wont matter if they dont win.

You also have to consider some of the top guys ALREADY have great jobs. Texas is the cream of the crop, but there than be several reasons why someone may not want to leave their current situation, and it has nothing to do with Texas being a lesser job or them not thinking its a great job

Common sense dictates no matter who the hire is the proof will be in what they win at Texas. All the media splash in the world wont mean shit.

who determines what tier a coach is and who makes that determination valid? fans slapping keys on a message board? the media? No its the school and Steve Patterson. I've heard even media types not think Briles, Strong, etc are lower tier coaches. What we think on a message board doesnt matter

You may call a coach second tier because you dont favor them and others may not agree with you. We dont know Charlie Strong for example would automatically win less games here than Jimbo Fisher. That is impossible to predict.

Results will matter. You are overstating things IMO