Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should the big 12 add UCF?

ridik01

-50k students with a massive alumni base.

-Expanding their stadium.

-Based in Orlando.

-Opens Florida up for recruiting.

-Great trips for the teams.

-Massive television base in Florida.

-Actually a respectable school in Florida for academics.

-SHOWED TONIGHT THEY CAN HANG WITH THE BIG BOYS!

Why not? They would pounce on the offer in a heart beat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and add South Florida too.

They are also a big school and you get an even bigger presence in Florida.

You pair the 2 Fla schools and the 4 Tx schools in one division (GULF) and allow the Kansas and Oklahoma schools plus ISU and WVU to be in the other division. You'll get a big TV contract due to the two huge states Tx and Fl. Longhorns and Sooner can be permanent crossovers.

Do not add South Florida. They dont even have an on campus stadium, still leasing Raymond James out. They also lack in some facilities.

And, you dont add two teams in the same market. UCF has a stadium and all the attributes listed above. Grab them and Cincinnati to get about another 750K sets, fully expand our recruiting footprint in the southeast, and give WVU a couple travel partners.

Sure! We can also add Alabama Birmingham, Middle Tennessee and Univ Calif Davis.

Let's just stuff the conference full of craptastic teams with no history, no television appeal and nothing to offer but the ability to drain revenues from our media deals.

Until something changes in the college football landscape we don't need to add any teams. If we wanted to force realignment, we would be far better off tossing a few million to various politicians in Congress and have them push unbundling in cable deals to torpedo the SECN and make individual Tier 3 rights worth more than conference networks. Why do we want to tie our fortunes to the like of UCF?

Sure! We can also add Alabama Birmingham, Middle Tennessee and Univ Calif Davis.

Let's just stuff the conference full of craptastic teams with no history, no television appeal and nothing to offer but the ability to drain revenues from our media deals.

Until something changes in the college football landscape we don't need to add any teams. If we wanted to force realignment, we would be far better off tossing a few million to various politicians in Congress and have them push unbundling in cable deals to torpedo the SECN and make individual Tier 3 rights worth more than conference networks. Why do we want to tie our fortunes to the like of UCF?

Because UCF can be cultivated into a huge powerhouse. Not having 12 teams is going to hurt us next year and we're not going to be able to break GORs. This is reality and we need to accept it.

Bottomline is Dodds screwed the pooch on this deal. TCU was a stupid add because OU/UT/TT already controlled the D/FW TV market. They brought us jack.

We should have brought in Louisville and expanded our reach into the southeast. We should have got FSU, Miami, Clemson, or Georgia Tech when we had the chance.

Because UCF can be cultivated into a huge powerhouse. Not having 12 teams is going to hurt us next year and we're not going to be able to break GORs. This is reality and we need to accept it.

How does not having 12 teams next year hurt us and why would adding UCF change that? The bottom line is if we win, we have no problems moving forward. Adding UCF isn't going to do anything other than cost us money and status. In case you haven't figured out, UCF is the flavor of the week (much like Boise when they beat OU), not an elite national program.

How does not having 12 teams next year hurt us and why would adding UCF change that? The bottom line is if we win, we have no problems moving forward. Adding UCF isn't going to do anything other than cost us money and status. In case you haven't figured out, UCF is the flavor of the week (much like Boise when they beat OU), not an elite national program.

There's a thing called a conference championship. The NCAA is not allowing us to have a conference championship with 10 teams. With this 4 team playoff we will need every chance we get to get our teams in the top 4.

Did you notice that no matter who Baylor beat this year they never got below #4? We need a conference championship to compete!

There's a thing called a conference championship. The NCAA is not allowing us to have a conference championship with 10 teams. With this 4 team playoff we will need every chance we get to get our teams in the top 4.

Again, if we win, we don't have a thing to worry about. Adding UCF and some other commuter school that just went FBS 10 years ago isn't going to solve any problem related to getting into the 4 team playoff.

Again, if we win, we don't have a thing to worry about. Adding UCF and some other commuter school that just went FBS 10 years ago isn't going to solve any problem related to getting into the 4 team playoff.

I guess we'll continue doing what we're doing and hope for the best.....LMFAO. This conference is dying and needs change.

I dk how the additions of TCU and WVU are better than UCF. I vote for dropping TCU and adding UCF.

I guess we'll continue doing what we're doing and hope for the best.....LMFAO. This conference is dying and needs change.

I dk how the additions of TCU and WVU are better than UCF. I vote for dropping TCU and adding UCF.

At 6:00 this evening UCF wasn't a blip on anyone's radar screen and now you want to jettison TCU, a team with more BCS experience than UCF, based on the fact they beat Baylor. Hell, TCU, West Virginia and even Kansas have accomplished more in the BCS era than Nebraska, TAMU, Colorado or Mizzou.

Edited by Randolph Duke

At 6:00 this evening UCF wasn't a blip on anyone's radar screen and now you want to jettison TCU, a team with more BCS experience than UCF, based on the fact they beat Baylor. I don't think so.

UCF hasn't been a blimp all year. I'm guessing you don't watch much college football. UCF has been getting talked about plenty buddy.

TCU was a terrible addition to the Big 12, it destroyed our television base in DFW/FW. TCU was an addition of desperation!

The fact remains that without a championship game the big 12 will be looked over and possibly may lose a top 4 spot.

IMHO, realignment / expansion is imperative. I understand the arguments against UCF, USF, Cincy,etc but it's all about TV sets and money. While UT is flush with money, what about Baylor or TCU or WVa. At ten members the Big 12 is vulnerable! Hell every couple of months or so up here in Ohio, there is an article in one of the papers speculating about UT to the BIG 10. It made no sense to me, or to my OSU friends to add Rutgers and MD to the BIG10 until we heard the BTN payout to EACH school was going to go from 17 mil to 28 mil per year. Expand or eventually be cherry picked apart by the more progressive and aggressive conferences.

Bottomline is Dodds screwed the pooch on this deal. TCU was a stupid add because OU/UT/TT already controlled the D/FW TV market. They brought us jack.

We should have brought in Louisville and expanded our reach into the southeast. We should have got FSU, Miami, Clemson, or Georgia Tech when we had the chance.

Yep.

And since the ship has sailed, Texas should bail the Big XII for the SEC, PAC 12, or BIG.

Yep. .

Let me start by noting that I tried to warn you that UCF was for real and would be major trouble for Baylor. O'Leary is a excellent coach who gets the most from his players. He also prepares well for his foes.

From there, I encourage you to calm down. The Big 12 is not in trouble. There is only one way the Big 12 is going to be in real trouble, and that is if Texas decides to leave. And if Texas decides to leave the Big 12, Texas will not be hurt.

Unless it casts its lot among the Big Ten, which will drag it down with boredom.

I don't see adding any schools the Big 12 can get (BYU, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Boise St, Memphis) as helping the current 10 members. There is not enough money in any of them. So I don't see the Big 12 adding any school.

Yep. .

I don't think you ever had any such chance. Notre Dame began talking to the ACC many years ago. And probably since BC became the ACC's 12th, the ND leadership up to Father Jenkins knew that when push came to shove with conference realignment, ND would take the ACC.

And with ND coming aboard the ACC even as a half member in football, there is no way any of those schools would leave the ACC.

Do not add South Florida. They dont even have an on campus stadium, still leasing Raymond James out. They also lack in some facilities.

And, you dont add two teams in the same market. UCF has a stadium and all the attributes listed above. Grab them and Cincinnati to get about another 750K sets, fully expand our recruiting footprint in the southeast, and give WVU a couple travel partners.

Cincy is a good idea. Good trip partner for WVU in basketball, too.

UCF is no Boise, UCF is the real deal and a diamond in the rough. Much more potential than USF, better facilities, bigger school, more traditional campus. USF has gone as high as it can go. UCF is going to be like Miami was in the 80's in a few years. They will be the reason why the "U" never gets back to its past glory because, UCF will be able to recruit some of the studs that would fall to Miami to UCF because of better facilities, still in the state of Florida and in a city environment. (Yes, I know much of the same could apply to USF too) but UCF is set up much better to capitalize on this than USF)

Boise did not have the demographics to sustain the success and after Petersen leaving, they will fall off the national radar in the next few years. UCF has much better talent available near them and a larger media market.

Grab UCF and Cincy to get to 12. Both of these schools have high ceilings, UCF higher than Cincy. Short term it will seem like a yawner. In 5-7 years it will be considered a steal.