Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why John Harbaugh?

Fedog

Sell me on him? I thought Patterson said the person needed college coaching experience because the demands are so much different and its all about recruiting.Is John someone we want? He did win a Super bowl which is pretty damn impressive but does this translate to success at the college level? I want Saban but lots of smoke about Harbaugh. Thoughts?

We could do ALOT worse than John Harbaugh. He's grown up in a football family and is football through and through. He actually has 14 years in the college game. He spent 4 years at Western Michigan and single seasons at Pitt and Morehead State. He was at Cincy for 8 seasons and logged one year at Indiana. It's just that he's been in the NFL the past 16 years. He actually fits the Patterson criteria better than younger bro Jim. FWIW

Here is the full list for him, from PFR

(I am not the king of formatting, sorry)

Year Age Level Employer Role

1984 22 College Western Michigan University Running Backs/Outside Linebackers

1985 23 College Western Michigan University Running Backs/Outside Linebackers

1986 24 College Western Michigan University Running Backs/Outside Linebackers

1987 25 College University of Pittsburgh Tight Ends

1988 26 College Morehead State Special Teams/Secondary

1989 27 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1990 28 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1991 29 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1992 30 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1993 31 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1994 32 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1995 33 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1996 34 College University of Cincinnati Special Teams Coordinator

1997 35 College Indiana University Special Teams Coordinator/Defensive Backs

1998 36 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

1999 37 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2000 38 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2001 39 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2002 40 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2003 41 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2004 42 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2005 43 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2006 44 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams Coordinator

2007 45 NFL Philadelphia Eagles Secondary/Safeties

2008 46 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

2009 47 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

2010 48 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

2011 49 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

2012 50 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

2013 51 NFL Baltimore Ravens Head Coach

He comes from the Ray Rhodes/Andy Reid NFL coaching tree

His Ravens records--

2008 11-5 .688

2009 9-7 .563

2010 12-4 .750

2011 12-4 .750

2012 10-6 .625

2013 8-8 .500

One Super Bowl win, three AFC North championships.

Some of his assistants include Rex Ryan, Hue Jackson, Chuck Pagano, Al Saunders, Jim Zorn, Cam Cameron, Jim Caldwell, Dean Pees and Don Martindale. IMO, this list clearly shows he is not afraid to hire the best assistant coaches he can find.

Edited by Juan Grande

Sorry, I see a guy who lacks even coordinator experience at the college level (unless you count special teams), no big time college football experience (unless you count the two years at Pitt and Indiana) and no Texas ties. Doesn't mean he doesn't have high potential and ceiling, just high risk.

Sorry, I see a guy who lacks even coordinator experience at the college level (unless you count special teams), no big time college football experience (unless you count the two years at Pitt and Indiana) and no Texas ties. Doesn't mean he doesn't have high potential and ceiling, just high risk.

So you think coordinator coaching in the NCAA is anywhere near as impressive as never having a losing record as a HEAD COACH in the NFL with a Super Bowl ring and multiple division championships?

Good grief. Its obvious the guy can coach lights out. Hes young. Hes energetic. He wins at the very top level against the very best coaches. Hes from a football family and has a football mind. He has the personality to recruit and the skins to show recruits. He'd be the grand slam of all hires.

Its the USC Pete Carrol hire on steroids.

John Harbaugh spent 13 years as a college assistant specializing in special teams and secondary coach. He certainly isn't foreign to college recruiting and dealing with HS and college kids. This would certainly be a home run hire and I would personally like to take on the SEC with a non-SEC coach. His connections at the NFL and collegiate level, along with the resources that UT has, would lead to a nice assistant coaching staff as well.

It leaked out on Dec. 3rd, just two days after Patterson started, that John Harbaugh was the No. 2 choice on ChatSports. He makes $4M and Texas is rumored to be prepared to offer the next coach twice that. Word is Harbaugh may be tired of the 24/7, 365 grind that is the NFL. He's very much a family man. Don't know that he would be a good fit in Austin. Recruits would flock to play for a Super Bowl winning coach, who has achieved the ultimate in his profession. FWIW.

So you think coordinator coaching in the NCAA is anywhere near as impressive as never having a losing record as a HEAD COACH in the NFL with a Super Bowl ring and multiple division championships?

Good grief. Its obvious the guy can coach lights out. Hes young. Hes energetic. He wins at the very top level against the very best coaches. Hes from a football family and has a football mind. He has the personality to recruit and the skins to show recruits. He'd be the grand slam of all hires.

Its the USC Pete Carrol hire on steroids.

I see the college and NFL as very, very different.

It leaked out on Dec. 3rd, just two days after Patterson started, that John Harbaugh was the No. 2 choice on ChatSports. He makes $4M and Texas is rumored to be prepared to offer the next coach twice that. Word is Harbaugh may be tired of the 24/7, 365 grind that is the NFL. He's very much a family man. Don't know that he would be a good fit in Austin. Recruits would flock to play for a Super Bowl winning coach, who has achieved the ultimate in his profession. FWIW.

I agree with this and I have heard from several folks, he is similar to his brother but easier to get along with. I would think he would be a good fit at UT, probable 10 yr guy assuming success.

He is a guy that demands excellence and accountability.

I agree with this and I have heard from several folks, he is similar to his brother but easier to get along with. I would think he would be a good fit at UT, probable 10 yr guy assuming success.

He is a guy that demands excellence and accountability.

Couple this with his success at the highest level, (which requires non-stop dedication to the coaching side of things,) I tend to agree with this being a "big splash" type of hire.

I prefer his brother, if he is available. Jim Harbaugh has jumpstarted 2 programs in college and the 49ers in the NFL.

Big fan of his brother but Harbaugh walked into a LOADED 49er team that Singletary and his GM built. . he certainly did turn around 2 college programs and has instilled a great culture in SF. . ..a nit pick but to me an important one. . .and he is my #1 choice OVER even saban. . .

Great thread. .it is interesting he went from ST's guy to HC but hard to argue with his success . ..

I do not know much about him so thanks for the insights everyone. .

I found a pretty good read on John Harbaugh. Im more sold on him after reading this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71001/john-harbaugh-can-be-nfls-next-great-coach

- from the article -

His attention to detail was key in turning the Ravens from underachievers to a perennial playoff team. His commitment to discipline changed the bad-boy culture in Baltimore. Last season's Super Bowl team featured just six players (Lewis, Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Marshal Yanda and Sam Koch) who were on the team before Harbaugh. For the most part, these were his guys.

Expectations for John Harbaugh have always been high, starting when Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, left, hired him in 2008.

When you sign up for Harbaugh's program, you're required to follow the rules at practice. Run full speed. Tuck in your shirts. Buckle your chinstrap. And don't ever think of sitting down. The signs posted throughout Ravens headquarters -- like W.I.N. (What's Important Now) and Team, Team, Team -- seem more suited for a college setting, but Harbaugh is all about professionalism. If you're not playing the best at that position, Harbaugh won't put you on the field, and it doesn't matter if you're a former Pro Bowl player. Chris McAlister and Bryant McKinnie learned that the hard way.

I think he has a great football mind and work ethic. My major concerns are around the differences in the college game with regards to recruiting and how much less time he would have to coach up the team. I think he is a big name and could be great, but there are more risks with him imho.

I found a pretty good read on John Harbaugh. Im more sold on him after reading this:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71001/john-harbaugh-can-be-nfls-next-great-coach

- from the article -

His attention to detail was key in turning the Ravens from underachievers to a perennial playoff team. His commitment to discipline changed the bad-boy culture in Baltimore. Last season's Super Bowl team featured just six players (Lewis, Suggs, Ed Reed, Haloti Ngata, Marshal Yanda and Sam Koch) who were on the team before Harbaugh. For the most part, these were his guys.

Expectations for John Harbaugh have always been high, starting when Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, left, hired him in 2008.

When you sign up for Harbaugh's program, you're required to follow the rules at practice. Run full speed. Tuck in your shirts. Buckle your chinstrap. And don't ever think of sitting down. The signs posted throughout Ravens headquarters -- like W.I.N. (What's Important Now) and Team, Team, Team -- seem more suited for a college setting, but Harbaugh is all about professionalism. If you're not playing the best at that position, Harbaugh won't put you on the field, and it doesn't matter if you're a former Pro Bowl player. Chris McAlister and Bryant McKinnie learned that the hard way.

Drag worm.....thanks for posting.

I had heard he was a stern taskmaster and disciplinarian. Also a better personality to work with than his brother. I feel we would be lucky to get him