Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire with McPhaul - Holiday Edition - 12/29/2013

HornSports Staff

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all very intriguing. I hope someone writes an in depth article once the dust has settled and we get to find out the reality of this situation. Don't get me wrong, I believe a lot of what I read from McPhaul, but I have to also believe there are some things being leaked to counter other leaked tidbits. I really find this all quite fascinating.

Thanks for for a great read and Happy New Year.

McPhaul, can you elaborate more on historically unprecedented changes within the UT sports program?

Here's what McPhaul means: the days of BMD's coming around the program like they have in the past is not going to be tolerated going forward with the new regime. As it pertains to blood-letting, we are not going to continue having 400 bureaucrats supporting 500 student athletes. Just not going to happen any more.

Hope this helps.

SG

Here's what McPhaul means: the days of BMD's coming around the program like they have in the past is not going to be tolerated going forward with the new regime. As it pertains to blood-letting, we are not going to continue having 400 bureaucrats supporting 500 student athletes. Just not going to happen any more.

Hope this helps.

SG

To be exact, as of Aug 31, 2013, UT athletics had 592 athletes (did anyone know women's rowing had almost as many athletes as football? ).

(Sport, number men, number of woman)

Baseball 38 0

Basketball 14 17

All Track Combined 122 138

Football 139 0

Golf 11 9

Rowing 0 102

Soccer 0 26

Softball 0 16

Swimming and Diving 47 31

Tennis 12 9

Volleyball 0 15

Total Participants

Men's and Women's Teams 383 363

Unduplicated Count of Participants

(Number of individuals who participated on at least one varsity team.) 312 280

Edited by Randolph Duke

Jamail's part in all of this is perplexing. He's a BMD with his name on the field and has always supported and defended UT. To think he would file a lawsuit against UT on behalf of MB just seems surreal to me.

Mack has built very valuable relationships over the 16 years that he's been at Texas and one of those relationships is with Joe Jamail. When JJ agreed represent Mack as his attorney/agent, Mack gained a foothold on to his position. That said, Joe is able to separate business from personal and because of that he made himself very wealthy. JJ representing his client is a business decision.

I am not a Mack defender at all, however, I see no problem with Joe representing Mack Brown as his client. Where Joe lays his loyalty and cash is his decision.

cross_mcPhaul.jpg

Friend of Bevo: Son, let’s be clear here: Mack was not "owed" this job. That is dangerous thinking. Do you not think that Joe Paterno didn’t think he was “owed†his job at Penn State? How’d that turn out? Do you not think Bobby Bowden didn’t think he was “owed†his job at Florida State? Hell, ego is a dangerous thing when not managed properly. As much success that Mack had as Head Coach while at the University of Texas, it was a privilege for Mack to be at the University of Texas. As part of that privilege, there is a deliverable associated with it. Mack Brown does not OWN the role of Head Football Coach at the University of Texas, he is a mere steward of the program until the next Head Coach of the University of Texas takes his place. The fact of the matter is that Mack has failed over the past 4 years as Head Coach at Texas. Do you realize that the past 4 years represents 25% of his career at Texas?

Mack likes to play the role of the CEO so let’s REALLY play out the role of the CEO here for a minute. The role of the CEO isn’t just to go out and cultivate a brand for a company, give speeches about how the company will perform for the upcoming quarter or fiscal year, come in and schmooze big customers. The ultimate role of the CEO is to drive the company’s stock price up for the shareholders of the company and meet the outlined objectives set forth (growing market share, increasing profitability, etc.) as well. With the performance Mack Brown has put forth over the past 4 years, if Mack Brown was an actual CEO of a Fortune 500 Company he would be gone. Need proof? How long did Ron Johnson last at JC Penney’s? About 2 years and then “poof†he’s gone. Didn’t matter what the guy did while he was at Apple, he was gone. It didn’t matter that in Ron Johnson’s mind he didn’t get enough time to see if his ideas for the “new†JCP were going to bear fruit. At the end of the day he was let go for a lack of success quickly enough. This is something CEO's face every day from shareholders. At the end of the day, if Mack wanted to be excused for mediocre success, then he should have been paid accordingly and coached at a different program altogether. This is the University of Texas we’re talking about, not Texas State.

Furthermore, Mack is not a doctor, teacher, police officer, firefighter, etc. He is a football coach. And at the end of the day Football Coaches are ultimately paid to win. And when you are the 2nd highest paid Football Coach in all of College Football and have one of the highest paid staffs in all of College Football, well then... investors expect results. The results put forth on the field are not commiserating to the monies being invested into the program- in business terms since Mack wants to be the CEO, “at the end of the day the BMD’s weren’t getting the ROI that they deemed acceptable enough for their investment.†How can you argue with that? You can’t! Mack had his run, but now has lost respect from many because of his exit plan, arrogance and the state of the program as he is leaving it today.

Incredibly interesting writeup. I haven't read/heard of Mack's situation articulated better than this. I appreciate it.

Great work thank you sir! I'm thinking there will be announcement January 6th to upstage Auburn.

Regarding Swoopes, again have never witnessed anything quite like this -my way or the highway with Mack. He would lose a game, toss a season before he would bench a McCoy. It's sickening really. Not playing Monday-morning quarterback here but Mack was allowed to waste a redshirt for a total of 13 minutes -what kind of coach does that? I'm sure if Mack had another year, we would see Case's name on the stadium-yet we don't see James Street- sad really.

I hope the powers at be put a halt to this drama with Mack once and for all. Should never have allowed him to coach the Alamo Bowl.

An advocate but frustrated donor-

Mack Gave up a B12 championship to prove a point and started Colt against A&M in 06 when he couldnt throw the ball just because Snead said he was thinking about transferring. So yes. he'll burn down the house to spite someone that doesn't fall in line.

Mack has built very valuable relationships over the 16 years that he's been at Texas and one of those relationships is with Joe Jamail. When JJ agreed represent Mack as his attorney/agent, Mack gained a foothold on to his position. That said, Joe is able to separate business from personal and because of that he made himself very wealthy. JJ representing his client is a business decision.

I am not a Mack defender at all, however, I see no problem with Joe representing Mack Brown as his client. Where Joe lays his loyalty and cash is his decision.

This is where I am on this. I don't blame Joe for acting on behalf of his client. He is actually obligated to do so. I am not sure if Joe ever thought that Mack and the University would be at odds. This might a real dilemna for him. I do know that a good attorney will put personal issues aside and act in the best interest of his client.

Quick question.

why would saban care about being seen as the guy pushing out Mack...to the point where it would keep him (saban) from taking the job? Saban doesn't strike me as a guy who really cares what others think of him...especially since he's considering leaving after publicly reaffirming his commitment to Bama?

has never made much sense to me either. In a months time no one in America is going to remember how Mack left UT.

lilMac,

I encourage you to share your opinion but, let's not call anyone a piece of crap.

Thank You

You're not serious, are you?

Either Mack Brown is a piece of crap or an idiot. He wasted Swoopes RS for about 10 plays. He's done this multiple times in his career to different players.

Those are just SOME examples. There is a giant horde of other examples.

Personally, I don't think he's stupid, so I believe he's a piece of crap.

Either Mack Brown is a piece of crap or an idiot. He wasted Swoopes RS for about 10 plays. He's done this multiple times in his career to different players.

Well mack is most definitely a human and not scat. But i guess you are saying you don't like his decisions.

has never made much sense to me either. In a months time no one in America is going to remember how Mack left UT.

I can answer that. If you'll remember, conversations with Saban/Sexton began a year ago. Back then he thought he was about to change jobs as he had also heard rumblings about Mack wanting to retire. So the table was set. Then Hicks approached Mack and Mack switched direction, wanted to "fix things." Talked about this being "the year."

Saban did not want to be a part of pushing Mack out at Texas. In his mind, and others here as well at the time, Mack was at lengendary status. Not a good situation to walk into.

Spin the clock forward, Texas comes out shooting blanks, Mack's retirement again gets put on the table. This time the BMDs are insistent and believe it's no longer a "decision" for Mack. Talks begin again with Saban. Table again gets set. Mack pulled the Black Friday thing - so after a year and two consecutive disappointments, Saban signed the extension with Bama.

This did two things for Saban. It got more money with Bama, quieting the fan base and easing all tensions. It also let Texas know he meant business. We would not contact him again until conditions were right, Mack retired.

I'll stop there as I think that explains how we got here and when/why Saban was concerned with Mack's departure.

Edited by Sirhornsalot

This is where I am on this. I don't blame Joe for acting on behalf of his client. He is actually obligated to do so. I am not sure if Joe ever thought that Mack and the University would be at odds. This might a real dilemna for him. I do know that a good attorney will put personal issues aside and act in the best interest of his client.

i agree that it would have been difficult for anyone to foresee a situation like this, and to this degree. I don't recall a situation anything like this in the past with a university and an employee. My gut feeling is that JJ is/was representing Mack to the best of his ability, but Mack is not heeding his advice, is acting impulsively, and is doing exactly what Mack wants to do. I wonder if Jamail is still representing him.

I don't know how anyone could work with him now. He's like a ping pong ball - all over the place.

Is Jamail still representing Mack?

Hook 'em!

Edited by java

Quick question.

why would saban care about being seen as the guy pushing out Mack...to the point where it would keep him (saban) from taking the job? Saban doesn't strike me as a guy who really cares what others think of him...especially since he's considering leaving after publicly reaffirming his commitment to Bama?

Are you the same "Proposition Joe" that's been on HornFans for a few years? Mods, pretty sure the answer is yes, and he's an aggy/troll...

2014 hire, taking our state back!!!!!

Respectfully

Why would saban care about how Mack left?

And Mack was pushed out...if saban replaces him then he becomes part of that pushing out process by proxy right?

Saban cared how Mack exited back when Mack hadn't burned bridges, before Mack was pushed out.

No on the second question, due mostly to the work Patterson has been doing. He needs a new phone. This also gave us leverage, in a sense, that we did not have before.

His wasting a year of swoopes eligibility is sickening. How does someone justify that?

His wasting a year of swoopes eligibility is sickening. How does someone justify that?
He's not even the only one he's done that too. There are multiple other examples. This one though is particularly galling considering he had promised to retire and he KNEW that Swoopes would benefit more from RSing.

I am not standing up for any member of this staff but really believe they feel he is not the answer at QB. Burning his shirt was a way to get distance between he and Heard. He will either change positions or transfer shortly.

Just my opinion though.