Find results in...

Briles

Austintransplant

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Briles would be a great hire. He has an innovative offense, has strong connections with Texas high school football and has produced every place he has been. A Texas guy who can scheme, recruit and get players to run through walls for him is a good starting place if I am Steve Patterson.

Has he REALLY produced everywhere he has been? He has 2 CC. He's a Mack Brown Starter kit at this point.

Has he REALLY produced everywhere he has been? He has 2 CC. He's a Mack Brown Starter kit at this point.

I'm no fan of Briles, but I disagree with this point. Briles has two CCs at Houston and Baylor in 11 years. Mack Brown had two CCs in 30 years of coaching, 16 of those at Texas. I don't believe you can compare the two.

Its not like he took over Houston when they were good. Both Baylor and Houston were garbage when he took over. Baylor won the gd conference this year and is in the fiesta bowl. He has produced with 3 different QBs at Baylor. Hell look how many pro QBs he has produced/recruited. Kolb, Keenum, RG3 and Petty will be a pro. Hell Florence had a hell of a year and no one wanted him.

You evaluate a coach based on what he has done where he has done it, with an emphasis on what he inherited.

For example, a coach who produces 3 consecutive 8-4 teams at Rice has done an amazing job. Rice's awful history since the 1960s means any success there is a great job.

On the other hand, a coach who produces 3 consecutive 8-4 teams at Texas is doing a mediocre job.

How bad was Houston before Briles arrived? How good did he make Houston? How well was Houston stocked when Briles left?

How bad was Baylor from the start of the Big 12 until Briles arrived? How well has Briles won at Baylor?

Was Briles' success at either school because of 1 super star player, with the program falling flat after that star left?

Not gunna be Briles. Just ain't.

That would be such a switch in program identity it would alienate a huge portion of the fan base and a bigger percentage of the donor base.

Think of it has going from Royal to Switzer. So, no, it won't happen. We're Texas and we can win and win big consistantly without a Coach like Briles.

Oh, I know there is a portion of Texas fans that want to win at all costs but I believe they are a small percentage and I hope they reevaluate their priorities. Texas has always strived to do things the right way first, win secondly. That's what made the 2005 Natty so special.

I doubt there are any win at all cost guys here..... Right?

Not gunna be Briles. Just ain't.

That would be such a switch in program identity it would alienate a huge portion of the fan base and a bigger percentage of the donor base.

Think of it has going from Royal to Switzer. So, no, it won't happen. We're Texas and we can win and win big consistantly without a Coach like Briles.

Oh, I know there is a portion of Texas fans that want to win at all costs but I believe they are a small percentage and I hope they reevaluate their priorities. Texas has always strived to do things the right way first, win secondly. That's what made the 2005 Natty so special.

I doubt there are any win at all cost guys here..... Right?

Royal to Switzer? That might be an apt analogy if Briles were a slime ball of epic proportions.

Briles is a stand up guy. He might not be the best fit for Texas, but he is the kind of man I would be happy to see on the ND sidelines.

There should be one standard here . ..can this coach get us to the playoffs and win it all. . .TEXAS should be about lifting Waterford. . .from 2001 thru 2009. . ..TEXAS had it's best run since the 60's and the glory days of DKR .. .

Saban DUH

Fisher Yes

Guz Yes

Mora I think so but now we're talking pure opinion.

Briles ? Not sure. . .get there? likely. . .win it all. . .don't know PS, measuring just 4 star guys. . .Briles has actually recruited more defenders than offense. ..I found that interesting .. .but his clear strength. . .to me identifying and developing off the radar talent. . .

Franklin ? not IMHO

Strong Yes

While I'm not advocating for Briles, I would say this logic is a bit flawed.

Briles has 2 CCs at Houston and Baylor. Mack had 2 CCs at Texas.

The programs of Houston and Baylor do not equal the program of Texas in several ways--money, recruiting, resources, etc. Baylor was a dumpster fire before Briles whereas Mack started winning and having #1 recruiting classes instantly. The caliber of recruits and being able to recruit to Texas is greater than at Baylor and UH.

Therefore, I would argue that no, Briles isn't a "Mack Brown starter kit" and instead, he's done a bit more with less than Mack.

But as I said before--I'm not advocating for Briles to be the next HC. I'm just logically putting it into perspective.