Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chip Brown is claiming.........

If we had a good shot at Saban I would expect some smoke screens to take the heat off him. Especially after websites like this claimed it was a "done deal" and he was "the next head coach at Texas". It's not like 5 or 10 years ago when chatter on message boards was just chatter. Now everyone reads them and nothing is secret.

I like the way Chip worded it "the chances of Texas trying to go back in on Saban at this point were nearly zero." Does anyone believe Texas won't try? Maybe Saban already rejected Texas.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we ever think this would be clear cut and easy?

Some say yes, some say no, and in two days they'll reverse their stories again with some plausible explanation, or an anti Mack accusation of how he is poisoning the well etc.

"What we have here... Is a failure to communicate..."

At this point here is my take on all of the "inside sources" etc.

A. Our Regents and BMD folks aren't even in agreement at present. That is pretty much understood. They each may have their own favorite different candidate, and they are all used to getting their way.

B. Each BMD, along with the AD, also has their favorite pawn in "leaking" information in order to stir fan and alumni opinion since they are too "gentlemanly" to engage in the media spin directly. Mostly using websites like OB, IT, HS and some other more mainstream mouthpieces and some have multiple plants in each I'd guess, monitoring each other etc.

C. It is entirely possible that someone posting that Saban is a dead deal is doing so either as a request to keep things more calm for both teams leading up to the bowl games. It is also possible that the all too eager pawns are just being fed falsehoods intentionally for the same desired result. Same with any other top level candidate, not just Saban. That's why I don't bad mouth the folks like JS or McPhaul if we find out they are incorrect. They can be unwittingly duped after being fed several truths as well.

D. They (BMD and AD) all also probably throw out smoke screens and red herrings to change the focus of the fan base every few days when a single story starts to take hold and become the consensus across the websites.

E. all of this adds up to each of us who is too passionate for our regular logic to kick in, picking a "horse" (candidate) and "rider" (messenger of an inside source) that we either feel is most accurate, or matches our personal desires.

F. I have come to the conclusion that this is politics and show biz, if they aren't already the same thing.

I'm happy to call HS home because of the junior high crowds dominate the pay sites now, (which are virtually worthless, since they are wrong as often as correct now) and over 90% of the folks here "get it" as opposed to trying to "be it".

Also, don't correct me if I am mistaken..let me live in my own world, but McPhaul was the first to call the "shot across the bow" referendum meeting the regents would have if Powers didn't move quickly enough on sending Mack along. And he called it before the meeting was made public and even before Powers even seemed to know it was coming. That to me does show his "sources" have some sway and intel. But things can always change quickly when billionaires get in pissing contests, and in all of these meetings the egos on every side of the table are ginormous be it a coach, AD, BMD... It digresses to the sophistication of a bunch of Jr High name callers. I lived it in the corporate world.

So I say we are going to get Malzahn because all of the others seem to be so much smoke. And I'll be very happy with that.

Chip seems pissed at Shaunsters. Man you cant even question the guy. Shaunsters is not the only one in the last few days who has claimed people in the very least are talking to Saban. Far from it yet Chip is saying he's basically not been wrong on any Saban info which is hilarious. Jesus would get a huge laugh from that

Chip seems pissed at Shaunsters. Man you cant even question the guy. Shaunsters is not the only one in the last few days who has claimed people in the very least are talking to Saban. Far from it yet Chip is saying he's basically not been wrong on any Saban info which is hilarious. Jesus would get a huge laugh from that

Exactly what provoked my last post. He's quite put out.

Maybe Hicks is trying to get us to quit talking about it?

considering Jesus was basically told to stop talking about it, and kept Saban from actually being named in his last Humidor after previously teasing some Saban talk but then saying he may not can talk about it...this makes sense

It's because Chip was on the Sports Day team at the Dallas Morning News that won every award a paper could win for years. Several of the guys he worked with are now at ESPN.

Chip never was a major player for that paper. He mainly wrote occasional updates on UT sports and sometimes TCU. Also remember that Skip Bayless was one of their leading contributors for a long time, so you are not automatically golden if you ever worked there.

If you're going to throw out those accusations, please go further and tell us who you're talking about.

Its widely known Ketch and others have used other accounts to post on the board...even self admitted by at least Ketch. have no way to prove it, but talking about Fanofhorns. The way that poster has popped up at different times over the years I was there to mostly just comment on how stupid certain posters or other message boards were has always been strange. Its mainly all that account has posted about. That same poster also popped up right on cue just mins before I was banned there to specifically accuse me directly of going around to different message boards to spread lies about Orangebloods making a deal with Steve Hicks. Which I never posted anywhere. Before I could get my reply out I was banned. Just feels like Ketch or someone staff related. Just my opinion.

Since the retirement story put out by Chip broke wide open on ESPN and caused such a shit storm, you would think Chip wouldn't be privy to information from those in the know. I disagree with Chip based on what I've heard but that's not saying Saban is coming. The person I talk to thinks it's much more than likely. I'm still in a see it in a press conference to believe it type person.

Right now you can't say anything is definative because the information is sensitve and people from all sides are going to jump all over you if you are wrong. This is a situation where being wrong isn't a bad thing. If it is Saban, then "ooops I was wrong, but we still got Saban" and let the party begin. If it isn't NS then you CYA'd.

Chip never was a major player for that paper. He mainly wrote occasional updates on UT sports and sometimes TCU. Also remember that Skip Bayless was one of their leading contributors for a long time, so you are not automatically golden if you ever worked there.

Skip only worked for the DMN for about 2 yrs. He was then paid big money to go to the Times Herald.