Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jimbo Fisher Patterson's number one target?

Vandit

Didn't Saban also try to hire him at Alabama as OC when he first got the job? are you an LSU dominate fan or are both teams on equal footing? :)

I was an Army brat and raised all over, but my mom, grandpa, uncle, etc. are all Texas alum, I grew up coming to Austin for games. Love the Longhorns, but I went to school in Baton Rouge, so my Tigers come first.

I understand Nick did try to bring him in at Bama, but he'd already been upset about being passed over and had his sights set higher by that time. Baton Rouge is a small town though, rumor-wise, so I never knew how much of that was true. My dad's family is several Louisiana generations strong, and I have a half a dozen well-connected friends I grew up around and then went to college with. I also worked part-time at a homegrown Mardi Gras store, so I got all the good gossip when people came in to talk to my boss about parade stuff, party rental stuff, etc. I even rubbed elbows with Ms. Terry a time or two. *dusts shoulders* Quite the drama when Little Nick rented and ruined a chicken costume.

More fun facts: A. My godmother was married to Joe Jamail's godson for twenty-plus years and I spent a lot of time with their families at their beach houses in Galveston. B. Before moving to Baton Rouge, I worked at Earl Campbell's restaurant when he opened it downtown, for about a year. 1998, I think? It's been awhile. I met a few important peeps back then, but I was just a lowly cocktail waitress and an idiot nineteen year old kid or I'd have tried harder to develop some lasting friendships with people who could fill me in on all this behind the scenes WTFery. And C. One last claim to football fame! I worked with Hollywood Henderson when he came in to do some fundraising for an organization I managed.

Boom. That's like six degrees of insider separation, right? I should print some cards and start a blog.

The only info I've gotten of late is that Nick's daughter was fired from her internship in Nashville, she got a pity post interning with the Titans, but it's not expected to last. I won't go into details, but I understand there's been some talk about another move... and not back to Tuscaloosa. I don't know, the next few weeks can't go by quickly enough.

I have no clue who El Mahico's sources are. But I still find it interesting that about mid-November EM said that Saban wasn't coming while all the other insiders stuck with saying Saban was coming. As you say, probably a matter of different people in the food chain but evidently his people knew something that other people didn't know.

Well that or his people were wrong but at the last minute by coincidence became right.

sorry, but that's kind of ridiculous. Possible? Perhaps. But just because he's managed to have a tremendous run at 'Bama doesn't absolutely guarantee it at Texas.

For one, it could take a bit longer than it did with the Tide. We have more talent than Mack has certainly shown in his four straight pretty poor seasons. But with several good upperclassmen leaving combined with some holes in recruiting (especially recently), it may not happen as fast as our "gotta have huge success now" society expects.

Further, as great as Saban's been at 'Bama, the Tide program allows more extracurriculars (in recruiting, etc) to go on than would be the case at Texas. It has to be factored in, even if probably only modestly. Finally, Saban was pretty fortunate to even get into two of those title games. He showed it was justified, but that doesn't change the fact things really fell into place not once but twice despite his team losing a game very late in the season (LSU in '11, A&M in '12).

I'd take one national title in, say, five to seven years, provided we're very much in the hunt thru the season most of the other years.

If you'd be unhappy with Saban not winning that many NATIONAL titles, I can only imagine how you've felt about Mack for winning just one in 16 years and just two conference titles that whole time!

Au contraire. "Ridiculous" would be to expect less while paying more. If Texas is going to be paying Saban a lot more than what Alabama is paying him, it would be absurd to expect him to do worse. How big a sucker does Texas want to be? Delossy (brain dead) Dudd was handing Mack Brown 5.4 millions a year just to get slaughtered by Oklahoma and others, while Saban and a couple of others, making less money, were winning multiple conference and national titles.

Texas has been a sucker under Delossy Dudd long enough. Low standards and low expectations aren't my thing.

By the way, I have never considered Mack Brown the one responsible for Texas' NC in 2005 - that one belongs to Vince Young, Michael Huff, David Thomas ... and company. It was won despite Mack Brown and Greg Davis.

Edited by austinite

Au contraire. "Ridiculous" would be to expect less while paying more. If Texas is going to be paying Saban a lot more than what Alabama is paying him, it would be absurd to expect him to do worse. How big a sucker does Texas want to be? Delossy (brain dead) Dudd was handing Mack Brown 5.4 millions a year just to get slaughtered by Oklahoma and others, while Saban and a couple of others, making less money, were winning multiple conference and national titles.

Texas has been a sucker under Delossy Dudd long enough. Low standards and low expectations aren't my thing.

By the way, I have never considered Mack Brown the one responsible for Texas' NC in 2005 - that one belongs to Vince Young, Michael Huff, David Thomas ... and company. It was won despite Mack Brown and Greg Davis.

I believe we think more alike than may at first appear. And I definitely don't want to give Saban a ton of slack. But I do think (in the manner stated) there are more variables involved in winning national titles that make it much more difficult in general than Saban's been able to achieve.

Regarding Mack winning the natty, I still have to give him credit for ultimately being responsible for the team assembled that season. To be consistent, I've got no choice, because he certainly gets the blame for the repeated failures over the years

I believe we think more alike than may at first appear. And I definitely don't want to give Saban a ton of slack. But I do think (in the manner stated) there are more variables involved in winning national titles that make it much more difficult in general than Saban's been able to achieve.

Regarding Mack winning the natty, I still have to give him credit for ultimately being responsible for the team assembled that season. To be consistent, I've got no choice, because he certainly gets the blame for the repeated failures over the years

I have no problem with crediting Mack Brown for assembling the 2005 team. I just think that in terms of coaching / playing calling, Mack Brown and Greg Davis were a hindrance, not facilitator, in the 2005 season.

I have no problem with crediting Mack Brown for assembling the 2005 team. I just think that in terms of coaching / playing calling, Mack Brown and Greg Davis were a hindrance, not facilitator, in the 2005 season.

I don't think they were a hindrance at all that season. In most games, excepting aggie, VY was given the green light to run, which opened the passing game tremendously (it's why he ranked #1 in passing efficiency, something many probably don't recall).

Where I fault MB-GD regarding VY is that it took them too long to figure that out (giving him the regular green light). We didn't see the real Vince (and thereby the potency of the O') until Tech, 2004.