Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference realignment?

johnabeard

I think if you went to the SEC, you could keep a lot more recruits here at home. TexasStrong

You never say never, but I seriously doubt UT would ever entertain a move east. There was a time, back in the early nineties, when that could have happened...matter of fact, it almost did. However, UT sees the PAC as having more peer-type schools, Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA, U-Dub, Oregon. I think UT is also reluctant to consider the SEC because a move in that direction would seem too much like UT was following agricultural's lead, and also, there's that whole "cheating in the SEC" issue that UT wants to avoid. If there's to be a move for UT, I think it's west, not east.

Bad phrasing on my part.

Right now lacrosse isn't a viable sport for UT. I predict that will change in the next decade. LHN needs more content too.

Well, the place to go to become taken seriously in lacrosse the year you step up is the ACC. If that move gets you a relationship with ND as well all that east coast basketball and a better baseball conference, as well as one of the top two major conferences in academic rankings, then you have something almost impossible to pass on.

Think football makes the idea less appealing? Consider this year's awards:

BCS Champ: FSU

Orange Bowl Champ: Clemson

Walter Camp Coach of the Year: David Cutcliffe, Dook

Heisman Trophy: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

Doak Walker Award: Andre Williams, Boston College

Davey O'Brien Award: Jameis Winston, Florida State

Outland Trophy: Aaron Donald, Pitt

Rimington Trophy: Bryan Stork, Florida State

Bronko Nagurski Award: Aaron Donald, Pitt

Lou Groza Award: Roberto Aguayo, Florida State

All of that is before ND starts playing as a half member in football. That deal is going to help ND take the next step and help the ACC's full football members recruit better against both the SEC and Big Ten. It shouldn't be too long before half of the playoff field is ND and the ACC champ.

Well, the place to go to become taken seriously in lacrosse the year you step up is the ACC. If that move gets you a relationship with ND as well all that east coast basketball and a better baseball conference, as well as one of the top two major conferences in academic rankings, then you have something almost impossible to pass on.

Think football makes the idea less appealing? Consider this year's awards:

BCS Champ: FSU

Orange Bowl Champ: Clemson

Walter Camp Coach of the Year: David Cutcliffe, Dook

Heisman Trophy: Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State

Doak Walker Award: Andre Williams, Boston College

Davey O'Brien Award: Jameis Winston, Florida State

Outland Trophy: Aaron Donald, Pitt

Rimington Trophy: Bryan Stork, Florida State

Bronko Nagurski Award: Aaron Donald, Pitt

Lou Groza Award: Roberto Aguayo, Florida State

All of that is before ND starts playing as a half member in football. That deal is going to help ND take the next step and help the ACC's full football members recruit better against both the SEC and Big Ten. It shouldn't be too long before half of the playoff field is ND and the ACC champ.

Yes, but it is the ACC and the ACC still sucks a fat one.

I know jack crap about Lax, but I was of the impression it was one of the sports being considered for addition once Patterson trims the bloat off the Athletic Department

That wouldn't surprise me at all, lacrosse seems to be gaining quite a bit of popularity here in the Houston area. The Spring Branch Memorials Sports Association, where my boys play most of their sports, has added a lax program that seems to be growing exponentially every season and I know that some of the schools have added lax programs.

Yes, but it is the ACC and the ACC still sucks a fat one.

Is that in comparison to your beloved Big Ten? How many football national titles since 1970 does that make it? Oh yeah, Big Ten - 2 and ACC - 5.

Here's the good news: for the foreseeable future, ND national titles in football won't be added to the ACC totals. Of course, they still will be shots right at the Big Ten, exposing it even more.

The only value in your response is the word Yes. ND is about to lead the ACC into an era in which it probably becomes second best to the SEC in football and, discounting water polo, swimming and diving, is the best conference overall.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, lacrosse seems to be gaining quite a bit of popularity here in the Houston area. The Spring Branch Memorials Sports Association, where my boys play most of their sports, has added a lax program that seems to be growing exponentially every season and I know that some of the schools have added lax programs.

Lacrosse will be added by Texas because the people who run the university want it to be seen in the same class as elite eastern universities, and no team sport says Elite Eastern University half as well as lacrosse.

Irish, I was just busting on you for your blind loyalty to the ACC. I figured you would not be able to resist my comment.

Yes, they have scoreboard rights now, but they are still not a great conference top to bottom. Top to bottom they are behind the SEC, Big XII, PAC and yes even the BIG. This does not mean the BIG is the best either, far from it, but at least I can objectively look at things instead of being an ACC homer.

As for ND's national titles over the next 10 years. There will probably not be any. ND was lucky to make it to the NC last year and bama exposed them.

I think what this years bowl season showed is that the parity between the conferences is not as wide as we all make it out to be. Would I say he SEC is still the best conference top to bottom, yes, but it is not much different than the number 5 rated conference, the ACC. Is the level of competition comparable in the BIG, ACC, BIG XII and PAC. Yes it is.

The nice thing about FSU winning was that unlike the SEC fan who cheers SEC, SEC, SEC, the average ACC fan does not care much about the conference but only their particular school.