Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Conference realignment?

johnabeard

Until fsu wins this year and stops the streak of sec titles I guess it doesn't matter what conference you are in. They will all say sec is better, but like bob stoops said god bless him, the sec is overrated.

a 3 win auburn team and a 1 win mizzouri team last year played for the sec championship, that would never happen in big 12.

why not a university of Houston and arkansas

Ok...here goes:

You can blame DeLoss Dodds for not being at 12. Louisville was on its knees to get in this conference and he rejected them. Now they are laughing all the way to the ACC at our expense.

In a nutshell, if you HAD to expand now, the most viable options are going to be Cincinnati and Central Florida. Gets you TV sets in Ohio/Kentucky and TV sets/recruiting foothold in Florida. Neither school is locked into its conference like the Power 5 schools are with GOR agreements.

BYU would be a longshot since they seem to be going ok so far being independent. UC and UCF give WVU a couple travel partners to make them feel better about the decision they made to join the Big 12.

Houston adds nothing to the conference. Its a school in a market already pretty saturated. Arkansas wont leave the SEC.

That is where things are right now.

Ok...here goes:

You can blame DeLoss Dodds for not being at 12. Louisville was on its knees to get in this conference and he rejected them. Now they are laughing all the way to the ACC at our expense.

In a nutshell, if you HAD to expand now, the most viable options are going to be Cincinnati and Central Florida. Gets you TV sets in Ohio/Kentucky and TV sets/recruiting foothold in Florida. Neither school is locked into its conference like the Power 5 schools are with GOR agreements.

BYU would be a longshot since they seem to be going ok so far being independent. UC and UCF give WVU a couple travel partners to make them feel better about the decision they made to join the Big 12.

Houston adds nothing to the conference. Its a school in a market already pretty saturated. Arkansas wont leave the SEC.

That is where things are right now.

Thank you for the info, do you ever see texas leaving the big 12 for another conference.

The big 12 as it is will not last, we will either have to add teams or leave to go to a bigger conference.

Any thoughts on maybe a big 12 and acc mix of 16 teams, seems like that's where the conferences are headed to in the future.

IMO, it's a race against the clock. One of the two scenarios will happen, possibly both, depending on what dominos fall and when.

I think the playoff format will open the door to realignment, and this time in a big way. I'm thinking four large conferences that will ultimately crown a national champion through a playoff format.

But if that doesn't happen first, the Big 12 will expand, particularly since Dodds is gone and Patterson is in. Dodds has been an obstacle. The obstacle is removed. Patterson is aggressive and open minded. So we're gaining twice as much as it looks like we're gaining on that front. They will need to be highly selective with whoever they add this time. The last two aren't looking so great right now.

Whisenant mentions Central Florida, in his post above. I don't discount that pick although it's certainly not sexy. They are the largest school in that state, I believe.

How strict is the GOR? Is the penalty that steep? And how realistic is it for the top 4 conferences to break away from the NCAA?

GOR - Pretty ironclad in penalties for leaving. No one has decided to challenge on yet, but perhaps that day could come. I see Randolph on here, he's really good with the nuances of contract language. Id say the only way to successfully break one is for everyone to agree to kill the conference.

The penalties are very steep because they involve so much money being kept if the school leaves.

I think a breakaway from the NCAA is a very realistic possibility, but it wont go down as long as the boys in Indianapolis learn to do what they are told. The NCAA makes all its money off basketball, and loses that if they lose the top 64-68 football schools.

Thank you for the info, do you ever see texas leaving the big 12 for another conference.

Under the right circumstances absolutely. This is one of the reasons why I call this coaching search a decision worth hundreds of millions of dollars. We are already the girl at the prom everyone wants to dance with because we bring so much academically and athletically to the table. Imagine how much further we enhance that with a run like Alabama's and even more money for education in the kitty, especially if we are able to fully endow (I think thats the right term) athletic scholarships like Stanford does.

The big 12 as it is will not last, we will either have to add teams or leave to go to a bigger conference.

Any thoughts on maybe a big 12 and acc mix of 16 teams, seems like that's where the conferences are headed to in the future.

how do you know it can't or won't last?

I'm not a huge fan either but what is there happening right now to suggest it can't make it?

GOR - Pretty ironclad in penalties for leaving. No one has decided to challenge on yet, but perhaps that day could come. I see Randolph on here, he's really good with the nuances of contract language. Id say the only way to successfully break one is for everyone to agree to kill the conference.

The penalties are very steep because they involve so much money being kept if the school leaves.

I think a breakaway from the NCAA is a very realistic possibility, but it wont go down as long as the boys in Indianapolis learn to do what they are told. The NCAA makes all its money off basketball, and loses that if they lose the top 64-68 football schools.

Love your knowledge! If you were Patterson, what would you do with Texas in regards to conference affiliation?

Having four sixteen-team "supersonferences" sounds good, but how do the other 60 FBS schools get structured? They have to have a realistin shot at the title or anti-trust problems present themselves.

I am becoming more and more in favor of some sort of relegation system where the structure of. 16 team conferences is fluid. Two Eight-team conferences per conferences, so seven division games, three or four OOC games that can be scheduled in advance to maintain traditional rivalries. Add a conference championship and then a 4 team playoff. This effectively makes it an eight team playoff and the national championship plays 14 games. Lesser teams play 11 games. Lowest finishing teams are relegated to the divivion of 60 to have a shot at winning their way back into the division of 64. The downsides to this are it anhilates traditional conferences, makes scheduling a mess done less than a year in advance and means a lot more travel to places teams may never have played before.

Having four sixteen-team "supersonferences" sounds good, but how do the other 60 FBS schools get structured? They have to have a realistin shot at the title or anti-trust problems present themselves.

I am becoming more and more in favor of some sort of relegation system where the structure of. 16 team conferences is fluid. Two Eight-team conferences per conferences, so seven division games, three or four OOC games that can be scheduled in advance to maintain traditional rivalries. Add a conference championship and then a 4 team playoff. This effectively makes it an eight team playoff and the national championship plays 14 games. Lesser teams play 11 games. Lowest finishing teams are relegated to the divivion of 60 to have a shot at winning their way back into the division of 64. The downsides to this are it anhilates traditional conferences, makes scheduling a mess done less than a year in advance and means a lot more travel to places teams may never have played before.

great stuff

There is no readily available school out there that brings any added value to the Big XII. Arkey is a pipe dream...they are NOT leaving the SEC for something as shakey as the Big XII. There are four, maybe five or six current Big XII schools that are likely to have options. I do NOT see UT making a move to the SEC, B1G, or ACC...there would be no fellow travelers in most of those situations. The only LOGICAL move is for UT, OU, OSU, and Tech to move west and form half of a new PAC East, with the Arizonas, Colorado, and Utah. KU, I think, has a shot at the B1G because of their basketball and academics. I have to think Baylor's recent upgrades buys them a place at somebody's table when all is said and done. The rest of the Big XII? Think Mountain West, C-USA, or AAC. That's my two cents worth, how I see things playing out, and sooner, rather than later. I think Patterson starts thinking about UT's conference affiliation as soon as he hires some new coaches and fires some deadwood at Bellmont Hall.

For personal reasons, I would love Texas to join the Pac 12. We could have 4, 4 team pods:

Pod A - Texas, TX Tech/Baylor, OU, OSU

Pod B - UA, ASU, CU, Utah

Pod C - UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal

Pod D - UW, WSU, Oregon, Oregon St

Games against teams in our Pod, then play against all teams from a specific pod (rotates every year), and then one team from each of the other 2 pods (again, rotates every year), and then rest OOC games.

3 games - against teams in our pod

4 games - against teams in different pod

2 games - against one team from the other 2 pods

3 games - OOC games

Larry Scott has done a tremendous job with the Pac 12. He and Patterson could make the Pac very special.

As I understand it (I'm not a lawyer and could be wrong), it's not so much a question of a penalty, as it is the fact that we don't own our tier 1 and 2 rights any more. We could leave whenever, but we wouldn't bring any revenue to the new conference until the GOR expires.

For personal reasons, I would love Texas to join the Pac 12. We could have 4, 4 team pods:

Games against teams in our Pod, then play against all teams from a specific pod (rotates every year), and then one team from each of the other 2 pods (again, rotates every year), and then rest OOC games.

3 games - OOC games

Larry Scott has done a tremendous job with the Pac 12. He and Patterson could make the Pac very special.

I love this. The best thing about it though is I like your grouping our regional schools and I agree with it. We should be exploring an exit with OU, OSU, and then 2 of 3 out of Baylor, TT and Kansas.

3 games - OOC games

I've long been a fan of Texas and Oklahoma joining the PAC. It would be unreasonable to leave Oklahoma State out now, so I suppose Texas would have to bring Tech. Baylor has been great lately but I see an expiration date on that success when Texas brings in their new coach and Tech gets things turned around with Kingsbury. I agree with just about everything you said, outside of Larry Scott and his success with the PAC. I actually think Scott has been mostly bad for the conference since he took over. Sure, he expanded the PAC-12 brand and therefore broadened the PAC's reach. But what did he stretch the brand with? Colorado and Utah. Those two schools have gone a combined 25-45 since joining the PAC-12. He's also failed to broker a deal with DirecTV to air the PAC-12 Network. While this also falls on DirecTV, this is something seriously hurting the fans outside of the local regions. On top of all of that, is the Bowl Bid issue. The PAC-12 for being the conference it is, has a horrible Bowl Lineup. The 2nd best PAC-12 team, in the event that they don't receive an "At Large" bid, will play in the Alamo Bowl. That means the PAC-12's second best team, plays against the BIG 12's fourth best team. After that, they get Holiday Bowl against the BIG 12's fifth best team. And then we drop down to the Sun Bowl in El Paso...need I say more?

Now, bringing in Texas and Oklahoma would no doubt cement Scott as the best PAC-12 Commissioner of all time. But I think when you look at his body of work, it doesn't really bode well. At least not in the Football world.