Darrell McPhaul

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the latest I've heard today.

There is nothing left in the Saban tank, as McP and some others have also said.

Harbaugh is our top target. We're talking. He's listening. My guy says it's a 50-50 deal on him. We are talking the San Fran Harbaugh. I did not talk logistics, my guy felt it was significant that Harbaugh is interested.

What a closer that guy would be in a recruit's living room.

Your second guy is looking like Briles. My guy tells me that some BMDs love the guy and they're getting some say because of the Saban fiasco (they weren't the ones pushing Saban). The Briles love seems to be growing.

Mora is also a serious consideration, but only initial contact with a rep so far. He's another well liked by some BMDs.

That's it for now.

I love this info except for Mora Jr. No offense to the guy and he's a solid coach, but I don't see him commanding near the attention that Harbaugh or Briles would generate. I'm also very intrigued by Malzahn as long as we can keep his wife out of the spotlight.

Harbaugh is our top target. We're talking. He's listening. My guy says it's a 50-50 deal on him. We are talking the San Fran Harbaugh. I did not talk logistics, my guy felt it was significant that Harbaugh is interested.

Your second guy is looking like Briles. My guy tells me that some BMDs love the guy and they're getting some say because of the Saban fiasco (they weren't the ones pushing Saban). The Briles love seems to be growing.

Mora is also a serious consideration, but only initial contact with a rep so far. He's another well liked by some BMDs.

That's it for now.

I'd be fine with Briles, Meyer, or Harbaugh. But I am increasingly skeptical that we can land any of them (Briles most likely of the bunch to Harbaugh least likely, in the order I named them). I am sure we can land a "big" name but there are a ton of roadblocks to getting these coaches to move given the rest of the NFL season and playoffs and bowl games. Harbaugh wouldn't even be able to come until mid January at best.

That's it for now.

Lamar Littrell called. Wants his info back.

Briles

Meyer

Shaw

Strong

Mora, Jr

Myself (pay myself $1M and use the rest to hire some great coordinators (Herman from Ohio St (OC) and Narduzzi from Mich St (DC), the Alabama strength coach and top level position coaches and recruiters- Orgeron, Latui, etc.)

Mike Tomlin

I don't understand why people are sour on Mora

In the NFL, he started out as a hot hire with Atlanta in 2004, going 11-5 and 1-1 in the postseason. After that year, it was a steady decline as he went 8-8 and 7-9, missing the playoffs leading to his release.

He was hired a couple of years later in Seattle and lasted all of 1 season where he went 5-11 before getting fired.

Mora was hired last year to coach UCLA, where he went 9-5, winning the PAC-12 south, but ending with consecutive losses in the PAC-12 title game and the Holiday Bowl. In year two, his Bruins have leveled out as they sit at 9-3, finishing second in the PAC-12 south and heading to the Sun Bowl.

Maybe he is a good coach, but he's done nothing to prove that he can consistently maintain a good program and beat solid football teams.

Harbaugh is less of a chance than Urban.

Do not agree.

Harbaugh is not looked at in the same way other candidates are. UT would wait as long as it had to if they thought, and he convinced us, he's coming. Obviously, something binding would have to be in play. But they like him THAT MUCH.

I don't see that as the train wreck that some will. We've got a nice class already. And if recruits know the guy is coming . . . and then he more than makes up for that in coming years. We're already in a low spot, program wise.

The people who approached Harbaugh initially received "not interested" several times. But that was when Mack Brown was our HC and had not retired. Late last night, I heard the latest approach was well received and we're now talking. IMO, that's highly encouraging.

The deal with Urban is what he left behind at Florida, the Hernandez deal just doesn't look good and chances are that issue could rise up again and not look good on UM. UT's looking for a culture change and the culture he left behind is not what UT has in mind.

I don't understand why people are sour on Mora

Because he's an average hire. His resume is inconsistent. He has not won more than 10 games yet in his short time at UCLA. I'm not saying he wouldn't be good here, as he very well could be. As of right now, compared to other candidates he is an average hire.

According to Chris Mortensen, NFL sources indicated to him that Chip Kelly is high, or "prominent", on Patterson's list. Kelly "lauged it off", apparently. Wonder if there are any other names that are on Patterson's list, but not on others we are seeing. Could there be a "darkhorse" candidate that he is keeping under wraps?

Edited by Clan Fraser

My likely list of candidates:

Briles

Gundy

Franklin

Andersen

Mora

Malzahn

Fisher

Strong

Shaw

Swinney

Briles, Shaw, and Malzahn would be at the top of that wishlist.

I think Andersen and Franklin are gonna start getting some serious run IF Patterson takes a good look at either of them.

I think there is a real chance Gundy could get the job.

Meyer, Saban, and either Harbaugh are pipedreams. So is Tomlin.

I'm kinda meh on Mora and Fisher right now, but I could change my mind.

I don't particularly care for Swinney as a candidate, unless he brings Morris with him, and maybe not even then.

I care more about splash in Texas and in the current recruiting base than what the splash would be for ESPN

Someone like Art Briles having the keys at Texas with his relationship with the Texas high schools would cause more shockwaves in reality than someone who would get the lead story on Sports Center

Im not saying Fisher, Harbaugh etc should not be contacted first...they should but I think Briles is a smart #2 if that info is correct