With Saban Off The Table

Darrell McPhaul

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss something? Last I heard you said we were still talking with Sexton through back channels...Did that change?

This. Can someone fill in the holes? Is it really magically dead with no explanation...Or....is this one of those situations where we need to all shut up about it in order to give it a chance? You can tell me. I won't tell anyone.

Don't believe Meyer is a long shot at all. Here is who Burton is hearig are the top guys after Saban (make him say "no").

This is in no order:

Harbaugh

Fisher

Meyer

Malzahn

This would be my list as well, however I'd add Shaw, but think he is not going to be in the running by his own choice.

Edited by Bevo11

I hate to say it but Urban, Harbaugh and maybe Briles are the only hires that will keep us close to a Saban-type 'splash' that will immediately flip recruiting momentum. Anyone else, and we'll see recruits bolt.

So, Shaw, Fisher and Malzahn wouldn't get recruits attention? Totally disagree.

Edited by Bevo11

I agree, wish they would make shaw an offer he could not refuse.

If you want someone with a great defense and no offense Shaw is your man. What were they this year, 65th in total offense. Lost to a 5-7 Utah team and USC. Offense so bad they won 4 games by a TD or less.

Shaw is high risk. Who the hell knows if he can build a program. Harbaugh built that program.

Did I miss something? Last I heard you said we were still talking with Sexton through back channels...Did that change?

No, it did not change but,the word is Saban has soured on stepping into this mess.

Keep in mind, Sexton is going to do his best to stay in communications with us. Even if he does not land one of his clients the Texas job, he could leverage it for another extension for his client(s).

It does make me wonder why our questions are greeted with silence! lol

Either they know something and do not want to say, or are afraid saying something could screw things up.

I'm not sure what you call silence? I share what I can, when I can.

Saban has been trying to land this gig for over a year and a half. When Brown threatened to go public with the behind the scenes leaks that eventually lead to his ouster, Saban had enough. Brown understood that would most likely scare Saban off for good. That uphill battle is very step and until I hear something different, I'm not seeing how we get him?

As my old high school coach said: I ain't no english major.

:)

Bevo11 my friend you don't need a spelling degree. If a poster dont like my spelling and sentence structuring I am sure someone will tell me about it. I use to catch all kinsa of hell on OB and it was there I finally learned to ignore it I just don't care anymore. My friends y'all have a great day.

I am like everyone on here in that I want to know what is going on before ESPN or the newspaper get the story, but if knowing about a certain coach early increases the odds of him not coming here, then I can live with not knowing provided we get the best coach available. Heck, since the BYU/Mississippi games we have lived with not knowing if MB was back or not until Saturday night.

I'm not sure what you call silence? I share what I can, when I can.

Saban has been trying to land this gig for over a year and a half. When Brown threatened to go public with the behind the scenes leaks that eventually lead to his ouster, Saban had enough. Brown understood that would most likely scare Saban off for good. That uphill battle is very step and until I hear something different, I'm not seeing how we get him?

Got it. Thanks for the update!

Here's the latest I've heard today.

There is nothing left in the Saban tank, as McP and some others have also said.

Harbaugh is our top target. We're talking. He's listening. My guy says it's a 50-50 deal on him. We are talking the San Fran Harbaugh. I did not talk logistics, my guy felt it was significant that Harbaugh is interested.

What a closer that guy would be in a recruit's living room.

Your second guy is looking like Briles. My guy tells me that some BMDs love the guy and they're getting some say because of the Saban fiasco (they weren't the ones pushing Saban). The Briles love seems to be growing.

Mora is also a serious consideration, but only initial contact with a rep so far. He's another well liked by some BMDs.

That's it for now.

Here's the latest I've heard today.

There is nothing left in the Saban tank, as McP and some others have also said.

Harbaugh is our top target. We're talking. He's listening. My guy says it's a 50-50 deal on him. We are talking the San Fran Harbaugh. I did not talk logistics, my guy felt it was significant that Harbaugh is interested.

What a closer that guy would be in a recruit's living room.

Your second guy is looking like Briles. My guy tells me that some BMDs love the guy and they're getting some say because of the Saban fiasco (they weren't the ones pushing Saban). The Briles love seems to be growing.

Mora is also a serious consideration, but only initial contact with a rep so far. He's another well liked by some BMDs.

That's it for now.

Dear God, please not Mora!

If Shaw were to get involved in the process, and I have seen nothing to indicate that he is, he would be a tough candidate to beat. His superior communications skills would make him a favorite in the interview process. I think people are sort of ignoring just how important that factor is going to be for the folks at Texas.