From Chip sounds like Texas just barely avoided an all out war

DizzG

Posted an update early this morn basically mentioning BMD/ regents who were after saban felt mack and powers screwed the whole thing and they were basically all out demanding Mack's resignation with threats to withhold all future donations to UT.

It could have gotten very messy...

Posted an update early this morn basically mentioning BMD/ regents who were after saban felt mack and powers screwed the whole thing and they were basically all out demanding Mack's resignation with threats to withhold all future donations to UT.

i get the feeling that Chip is not going to be playing nice for a while.

It sounds like Mac and Powers over played their hand and greatly underestimated what the results would be of playing the game they played would be.

After the Bill Powers/Rick Perry thing and now this, we are developing a rather responsive alumni base, for which I am thankful. We might sleep through football games, but when we get p!ssed off, we make it known.

Behold the power of 'Horns!

Even worse he said that the BOR and BMD's felt that Mack and Powers intentionally gummed up any chance to get Saban.

When I read the press release it was pretty clear there was pressure. in his press release he said "Now, the program is again being pulled in different directions, and I think the time is right for a change," Brown said.

When Mack got to Texas the fan base was fractured. MB was able to bring DKR back into the fold and unite everyone. He has now succeeded in dividing us again and arguably leaving the program in worse shape than when he arrived. There is no QB if Ash can't return and no backup, our OL is iffy, no TE, LB situation is extremely thin esp if Hicks and Edmonds can't return. Our DL loses Whaley, Jeffcoat and Reed may go pro.

And MB inherited a Heisman trophy (Ricky) winner to boot.

Edited by marathon

Even worse he said that the BOR and BMD's felt that Mack and Powers intentionally gummed up any chance to get Saban.

When I read the press release it was pretty clear there was pressure. in his press release he said "Now, the program is again being pulled in different directions, and I think the time is right for a change," Brown said.

When Mack got to Texas the fan base was fractured. MB was able to bring DKR back into the fold and unite everyone. He has now succeeded in dividing us again and arguably leaving the program in worse shape than when he arrived. There is no QB if Ash can't return and no backup, our OL is iffy, no TE, LB situation is extremely thin esp if Hicks and Edmonds can't return. Our DL loses Whaley, Jeffcoat and Reed may go pro.

i actually think Mac unknowingly and unwittingly brought the fan bas together in a way he never expected - everyone wanted him gone after the stunt he and Powers pulled. It looks like the only dividing he did was he lost the fans and the BMD's support which left him out in an Island.

i actually think Mac unknowingly and unwittingly brought the fan bas together in a way he never expected - everyone wanted him gone after the stunt he and Powers pulled. It looks like the only dividing he did was he lost the fans and the BMD's support which left him out in an Island.

Yea I heard it was damn near civil war on Powers yesterday morning. Lots of anger and threats of withholding money. Even a couple of regents involved. I don't know for sure but I believe Powers discussed it with Mack and told him it had to happen or else it would get extremely public and messy, Mack finally agreed.

I Also think that in the end, the fan base will be united. As long as they make a solid hire. It looks

Iike he will not be involved in the search process

For a brief couple of days, the fan base was mostly united (90%+) in wanting Brown out.

BINGO.

The only "division" was a small group of lunatics who thought Mack should be able to make the call on when to retire and Brown/Powers.

And that is totally inexcusable.................and if it costs Powers and esp. Mack a lot of good will, they should know that they brought it all on themselves.

I know one thing, I'm not even a SMD but I won't be taking calls from the development office anytime soon.

Wasn't this info already out there....Before this morning??

I just don't know how powers it's going to survive this after going against the BMD and board of regents

Powers will be fine. He knows the alumni can be united when we want to be and I am guessing he is savvy enough to use that knowledge judiciously. After all, Powers' only real political adversary is Rick Perry. Its not as if any of us would have a problem lining up behind Bill to fu@k Rick Perry. Powers' real challenge now is to start lining up a successor. After that, he rides into history having done one hell of a good job as UT president.

Powers will be fine. He knows the alumni can be united when we want to be and I am guessing he is savvy enough to use that knowledge judiciously.

Maybe so but IF he went against the BOR to sabotage any chance at Saban, then he will have some explaining to do. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. If he did go against the BOR then he should be fired.

Now, if he can convince the BOR that Mack betrayed him then maybe he can redirect the anger.