Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breaking News!!!! Only on Hornsports!!!

Darrell McPhaul

mack testing the waters with briles is great - would love to have the guy. but, imo this should proceed with extreme caution. if a saban type firestorm of speculation starts and then he turns us down, recruiting could get ugly (uglier) for us in the state. BU boneheads would like nothing more than to tell everyone and their mothers that briles turned texas down.

how texas can exercise caution (maintain confidentiality) in this day and age, while gauging true interest, I have no idea. It would seem almost impossible.

No, not really. He's got 2 conference championships in 10 years of coaching. He's a Mack Brown starter kit (but without the extraordinary recruiting ability)

He turned around UH and won a conf title within 4 years. He took over a bad, bad Baylor program and had them winning 10 games within 4 years a conf title in 6. And he won 4 State titles at Stephenville.

It is pretty hard to argue with Briles' success at a small school, long-term loser like Baylor. Get a great DC and off we go. Lots of other good choices of course, but Briles would be in that group. Don't just focus on "the one." There are lots of winning possibilities. But, of course, time will tell no matter who we get.

Took me a while to warm on briles but I'm starting to.

A HS coaching friend of mine told me who he thought Briles was and I started to like him.

He said Briles was Mack Brown who could provide the Xs & Os.

He said he was at a coaching function in central Texas and Briles just showed up and drank beer with all the coaches and shot the shit.

Mack spent years building these relationships and the HS coaches in the state really seem to like Briles. He was one of them and they seem to relate to him.

I'm not saying he is the guy but he should be on the list whenever it is formed by the committee.

Took me a while to warm on briles but I'm starting to.

A HS coaching friend of mine told me who he thought Briles was and I started to like him.

He said Briles was Mack Brown who could provide the Xs & Os.

He said he was at a coaching function in central Texas and Briles just showed up and drank beer with all the coaches and shot the $#@!.

Mack spent years building these relationships and the HS coaches in the state really seem to like Briles. He was one of them and they seem to relate to him.

I'm not saying he is the guy but he should be on the list whenever it is formed by the committee.

Thanks for sharing. I like Briles, I just want, and think we need, a bigger hire.

I think he would do well, but I also feel like a Texas can do better than hiring the Head Coach of Baylor.

I think your missing the point. Look at what he has accomplished........at Baylor of all places including beating Texas 3 of the past 4 years. I doubt he comes here, but your comment/concern is making the point of why he should be a legit candidate.

Plus a strong Baylor makes for a better Big12.

I think this is an excellent argument, a lot of people outside the beltway tend to believe Texas has too much of a stronghold on the Big 12, that they suffocate out any real competition and that the conference as a whole would do a lot better to support and build up some of the smaller schools.

If this is true IMO most of you all are missing the real issue. For better or worse, we'll figure out the coach thing. And yeah, there's a small chance we get a coach who can't deliver even Mack's 8-9 wins. It could happen.

The issue is the arrogance of Mack stopping on our dime to discuss the job just pushes me over the edge.

This entitlement and completely misplaced arrogance is the problem. And the fact that he's not going away means he intends to have his hands all over the new hire and the functioning of the program.

He spent a lot of time in NY talking with Witt. Think he tried to submarine Saban much? Was he a good and obscenely paid soldier, or did he tell Witt anything he needed to that would suit his purposes.

Does not bode well IMO.

If Powers is Mack's political cover then I'm ready for Bill to call it a day.

If this is true IMO most of you all are missing the real issue. For better or worse, we'll figure out the coach thing. And yeah, there's a small chance we get a coach who can't deliver even Mack's 8-9 wins. It could happen.

The issue is the arrogance of Mack stopping on our dime to discuss the job just pushes me over the edge.

This entitlement and completely misplaced arrogance is the problem. And the fact that he's not going away means he intends to have his hands all over the new hire and the functioning of the program.

He spent a lot of time in NY talking with Witt. Think he tried to submarine Saban much? Was he a good and obscenely paid soldier, or did he tell Witt anything he needed to that would suit his purposes.

Does not bode well IMO.

If Powers is Mack's political cover then I'm ready for Bill to call it a day.

Nail on the head. MBTF GTFO.

I see all of these names thrown around and all I know is except for one or two (Saban and arguably Meyer I guess) none of them deserve to be in the $8MM club. We've already made a mess of this process; we'd better not overpay for the next guy without a damn good reason or then we really are the whiskey tango Clampetts.

I would be well pleased with Briles. I'd prefer SF Harbaugh, but Briles doesn't offend me. I also appreciate McPhaul and his efforts. At least we aren't having to pony up money for suspect info. See 247, OB & IT. It's kind of funny watching the damage control that occurs when story lines like Saban go flat. Talk about spin central.

I know that Briles isn't the big name hire that a lot of people want. I also think the BMD's would look at him as a redneck. Truth is though what he has accomplished at Baylor is amazing. I believe that he would kill it at Texas if he came here. I don't think he will ever get the chance though

As we all know Mack was in Florida recruiting this last week.

What we were not aware of is his plane stopped in Waco on the way back to Austin.

Mack had diner with Art Briles concerning the Texas job.

Mack & Briles were seen making it rain at the showtime!! They were all over that one armed pole dancer!