Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Breaking News!!!! Only on Hornsports!!!

Darrell McPhaul

McP, do you think the BMD's and BOR may balk at a hire, that Mack had a hand in as a big middle finger salute back at him? He, IMO, does not seem like the big hire that has been talked about. I think Meyer is, but I was just curious what you thought. I know my opinion means zero in this instance, but wanted your and y'all's thoughts.

McP, do you think the BMD's and BOR may balk at a hire, that Mack had a hand in as a big middle finger salute back at him? He, IMO, does not seem like the big hire that has been talked about. I think Meyer is, but I was just curious what you thought. I know my opinion means zero in this instance, but wanted your and y'all's thoughts.

First of all, if MB met with him about coming to Texas to HC pre-mtg w/ Powers and Patterson, that's one more nail in the 'MB did everything he could to keep NS out' coffin. I would be concerned that may have some weight with the BMD's who are angry with MB. But also, I don't see Briles leaving Baylor. He's Texas born and raised, so maybe, but he strikes me as too 'churchy' to do well with all the politics at Texas. Remember when he got pissed at Patterson over that player who got ejected? Kinda crybabyish if you ask me. We need somebody who can play dirty. I might have him pegged wrong. I read some where that the Texans showed some interest on that front, too?

Of course I have but with utx's post today on OB and this info I'm just wondering if things have changed. Plus Cossell is talking about a coach,who's got Mack's support, as a candidate.

But he'd be a candidate regardless. I'd imagine Mack can be involved so long as it is someone the decision-makers truly covet. But that's just my take. I will wait and see what McP has to say here.

First of all, if MB met with him about coming to Texas to HC pre-mtg w/ Powers and Patterson, that's one more nail in the 'MB did everything he could to keep NS out' coffin. I would be concerned that may have some weight with the BMD's who are angry with MB. But also, I don't see Briles leaving Baylor. He's Texas born and raised, so maybe, but he strikes me as too 'churchy' to do well with all the politics at Texas. Remember when he got pissed at Patterson over that player who got ejected? Kinda crybabyish if you ask me. We need somebody who can play dirty. I might have him pegged wrong. I read some where that the Texans showed some interest on that front, too?

I don't know much about Briles but those that pay close attention to HS football peg him as a dirty, unethical, lying POS.

Again not my information or knowledge but passing on what people have hinted at on the different boards for a few years now.

Baylor extends Art Briles' contract to 2023 - CBSSports.com

Baylor has approved a contract extension for Art Briles that takes the coach of the year candidate to 2023, according to two sources.

Reports surfaced Wednesday evening that Baylor's regents signed off on the deal Wednesday. The Dallas Morning News reports Briles will make more than $4 million next season.

The only Big 12 coaches currently above the $4-million mark are Oklahoma's Bob Stoops and Texas' Mack Brown. Briles also received a contract extension a year ago.

Baylor's 8-0 start and No. 4 national ranking symbolize vast improvement from the program Briles took over in 2007, when the Bears had won three games or less in nine of their last 11 seasons.

Briles has gone 41-30 since then, turning the Bears into the country's most prolific offense at 61 points per game.

Briles, 58, has stated publicly he intended to stay in Waco, and the contract extension seems to punctuate that intention.

A source said Briles' extension might include pay bumps for his coaching staff as well.

My take: The Texas job is not open, Mack Brown is still the Longhorns' coach, but the chance of that changing must have loomed large with the Briles extension, whether Baylor will admit it or not.

Even if for appearances, Baylor wanted to leave little doubt it would do what it took to keep its guy. We don't know the exact buyout figures yet, but let's guess the number is sizable.

Why else would the Bears give a huge mid-November extension, just 11 months after Briles' last extension, at a time when Brown's tenure at UT seems tenuous and Briles is chasing national titles just 100 miles north of Austin?

If Briles had any consideration for Texas, he would have evaluated the job before agreeing to this deal. Makes little sense to re-up for 10 years, then leave a year before the Bears roll out their new stadium -- the house Briles helped build.

Yes, Texas stores more millions in its ash trays than most schools have in their entire fundraising body. And it's hard to totally dismiss Briles-to-UT in an era of coaching agents and leverage.

But when Briles publicly states several times this season that Baylor is his long-term home, then signs a gynormous deal to validate those claims, it'd be shocking to see him leave. He can win at Baylor while making more than $4 million per year with serious job security. What's not to like?

If the Texas job comes open, any speculation involving Briles would be just that.

I don't know much about Briles but those that pay close attention to HS football peg him as a dirty, unethical, lying POS.

Again not my information or knowledge but passing on what people have hinted at on the different boards for a few years now.

Fascinating. I can't believe I've been missing out on all this behind the scenes action all these years.

I think you have to ask yourself a question here. What am I trying to accomplish with this new hire?

If winning is the goal, then Art Briles needs to be a serious candidate. Here's why:

1. He's from Texas and knows the state like the back of his hand.

2. His recruiting has been stellar at Baylor. Think what he could do at Texas.

3. Texas will play exciting football and win lots of games.

4. Due to item 3 and 2, you're looking at conference championships and possibly MNCs. He did it at little ole Baylor this year.

5. Great X's and O's coach.

6. I should bold this one, but this is a hire where you not only help yourself, but you've just damaged the current conference champion in a big way.

7. Players love to play for him. Players have fun on his teams.

I could go on and on, but it's a hire I would get excited about. He wins. His game is exciting.

That said, better hire the best DC money can buy, period.

Briles is by no means "sexy" but he's a tireless worker that kids love playing for. The guy is an ass and has some questionable history in terms of recruiting and steroids, but he wins ball games and took BAYLOR from a "we're going to lose 8 games at the minimum" to a "we're going to beat every damn team we play and do it with style" mentality.

It does little for me, but if you want a guy to get us back to the top very quickly, Briles could do it. Give him a blank check for a staff and we'll be fine. He'd recruit the hell out of Texas. Probably would do well nationally too.

All that said, give me Harbaugh and I'm happier than if we got Saban.

Great site yall have going here, been lurking for a few weeks now and this coupled with IT has been great in terms of always

If we somehow wound up with Harbaugh, that would be a home run hire.

He'd be a great coach and he wouldn't let Mack meddle.

Win-Win

i think they should let it be known that any body mack contacts on his own or any capacity is automatically eliminated from future consideration. i can see mack saying you got the job because of me, so let me occupy a lot of your time and i will show you how to run your program

Not sure why some are looking down their noses at Briles (especially "because he's from Baylor "). He too Baylor from a team likely to be pushed out of the Big 12 in realignment to the conference champion in one recruiting cycle. Pretty amazing.

The guy has own everywhere he has been, and not even Mack knows Texas high schools better.

If you have personal dislikes for him, well OK. But on paper he's more of a sure thing for Texas than Harbaugh or even Saban. There's no guarantee either of them could navigate the politics here either. Neither are any more congenial than Briles.

Briles isn't sexy, but neither is my Silverado. It just gets it done though.

Not sure why some are looking down their noses at Briles (especially "because he's from Baylor "). He too Baylor from a team likely to be pushed out of the Big 12 in realignment to the conference champion in one recruiting cycle. Pretty amazing.

The guy has own everywhere he has been, and not even Mack knows Texas high schools better.

If you have personal dislikes for him, well OK. But on paper he's more of a sure thing for Texas than Harbaugh or even Saban. There's no guarantee either of them could navigate the politics here either. Neither are any more congenial than Briles.

Briles isn't sexy, but neither is my Silverado. It just gets it done though.

No, not really. He's got 2 conference championships in 10 years of coaching. He's a Mack Brown starter kit (but without the extraordinary recruiting ability)