Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts

Darrell McPhaul

First and foremost I want to let you all know we are working on getting the server upgraded so, we don't experience another crash like we did last night. We understand how frustrating it was for everyone.

Now moving on to the main subject at hand. I have received a lot of PM's, emails and phone calls last night and this morning. I should have never posted my Hornsports business cell phone number. I took calls and texts well past midnight from some people that were very upset with me. I let everyone vent accordingly.

Like everyone else that has been sharing information on the Brown/Saban saga, I placed many calls last night trying my best to find out what had transpired in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, many of the phone calls have not been returned as of yet but, they will. IMO, everyone was caught off guard and was scrambling trying attain the status.

The one call I received pertained to the Saban extension. I was told that Saban has waited on Texas for over a year and half and when he heard the latest, he simply lost all confidence in the BMD's Sexton has been negotiated the contract with.

The "deal" Mack had worked with Powers was if he he beat OU, won the B12 and took us to a BCS Bowl, he would return in 2014 as HC of the Longhorns. As we all know, we did not accomplish those goals. Texas is 18-17 in conference play in the last 4 years and we have a lot of questions going into next year. I'm still of the belief Mack is going to step down but, the delay was a deliberate tactic to sour the deal with Saban. It is well documented that the last coach Mack wanted to replace him, was Nick Saban. One of the main requirements the Saban camp had was that Mack not be involved with the program in anyway so, the culture could be transformed from a country club, non accountable and soft environment to that of a successful one.

If you read utx's post on TOS you know Mack is trying to position himself into a position of the Keeper/GM of the program. I'm not sure what prominent coach would ever want to step into this type of scenario?

I will do my best to keep you updated as the information comes in as I have done in the past. I, like everyone else was gut shot yesterday but, that is not going to deter me from building this site.

Edited by McPhaul

Thanks Darrell. I deliberately did not call or text you last night after we spoke because I knew you were probably going to be busy. Stick with it buddy and keep us updated.

I've let my thoughts on Mack be known so at this point I'm not going to say anything about him. If he's back my thoughts on the program moving forward are pretty obvious. It's time to see exactly what people think of the Texas job now. Is the interest from the big named guys really going to be there?

Mack is on a ton of people's S*!t lists and I gotta think that includes a ton of BMDs. Getting his way with Saban should mean his a$$ is out and no ability to meddle further. Give him his contracted buyout, but Texas owes Mack nothing at this point and especially if he blackmailed Powers and Patterson into the delays that led to Saban pulling out of the deal. No more additional funds on top of the buyout.....he just needs to GTFO. Mack being associated with the program in anyway would be a huge, huge mistake. He is now dead to a much larger portion of the Texas fanbase in my opinion.

First and foremost I want to let you all know we are working on getting the server upgraded so, we don't experience another crash like we did last night. We understand how frustrating it was for everyone.

Now moving on to the main subject at hand. I have received a lot of PM's, emails and phone calls last night and this morning. I should have never posted my Hornsports business cell phone number. I took calls and texts well past midnight from some people that were very upset with me. I let everyone vent accordingly.

Like everyone else that has been sharing information on the Brown/Saban saga, I placed many calls last night trying my best to find out what had transpired in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately, many of the phone calls have not been returned as of yet but, they will. IMO, everyone was caught off guard and was scrambling trying attain the status.

The one call I received pertained to the Saban extension. I was told that Saban has waited on Texas for over a year and half and when he heard the latest, he simply lost all confidence in the BMD's Sexton has been negotiated the contract with.

The "deal" Mack had worked with Powers was if he he beat OU, won the B12 and took us to a BCS Bowl, he would return in 2014 as HC of the Longhorns. As we all know, we did not accomplish those goals. Texas is 18-17 in conference play in the last 4 years and we have a lot of questions going into next year. I'm still of the belief Mack is going to step down but, the delay was a deliberate tactic to sour the deal with Saban. It is well documented that the last coach Mack wanted to replace him, was Nick Saban. One of the main requirements the Saban camp had was that Mack not be involved with the program in anyway so, the culture could be transformed from a country club, non accountable and soft environment to that of a successful one.

If you read utx's post on TOS you know Mack is trying to position himself into a position of the Keeper/GM of the program. I'm not sure what prominent coach would ever want to step into this type of scenario?

I will do my best to keep you updated as the information comes in as I have done in the past. I, like everyone else was gut shot yesterday but, that is not going to detour me from building this site.

Darrell ,

DO NOT be deterred by those who would spew hate toward you. You have worked hard to give us the info you can get about the situation. IF these guys are not man enough to realize that this is a fluid situation, then they do not deserve to be a member of the community anyway. Keep a stiff upper lip and keep doing what you have been. The situation is far from over with our football program and we need you to continue to tell us what you are hearing... Thanks again!

Mack is on a ton of people's S*!t lists and I gotta think that includes a ton of BMDs. Getting his way with Saban should mean his a$$ is out and no ability to meddle further. Give him his contracted buyout, but Texas owes Mack nothing at this point and especially if he blackmailed Powers and Patterson into the delays that led to Saban pulling out of the deal. No more additional funds on top of the buyout.....he just needs to GTFO. Mack being associated with the program in anyway would be a huge, huge mistake. He is now dead to a much larger portion of the Texas fanbase in my opinion.

If Mack is on the field next year, I think the fan sentiment will show in the stands. What kind of recruiting class can we have with a lame duck coach?? Mack Brown should recognize he is no longer wanted here and go away. His act is childish and makes him look foolish.

Grew up a Longhorn and will always be one. Even met Coach Brown...nice guy. Bottom line for me is that if he is back I am done. That won't matter to anyone I know that, but this is a circus. The UT football program is now the laughingstock of the country. Multiple blowouts to OU, a 5-7 season, losing against Baylor, and completely losing recruiting perception and momentum in the state. Baylor is now light years ahead of us and we are looking at JUCOs to save us. Every professional leader that I have ever worked with understands when it's time to move on. Brown is the highest paid state employee in Texas and we are not getting results over a consistent period of time. He'll just look at what public school people have to deal with pressure wise. A school principal is gone if after 2 years (typically) of no results...as a matter of fact the new state accountability system DEMANDS their replacement....but this is ok for folks making less than $100,000 a year but too harsh for a guy pulling millions of dollars and coaching football? His ass needs to go to the house!

In my eyes, Steve Patterson has to go too and, quite frankly, I would like to see the beginnings of a succession plan for Bill Powers. The problem is that the regents that would make this happen are the same ones who have created this mess.

It is truly amaing that Mack was willing to become the most reviled figure in recent UT history to keep a competent coach from taking over after him. I can only hope all the hate Mack deserves flows his way and that he takes down Patterson and eventually Powers with him.

Just my 2 cent observation. Don't personally know mack (does not deserve the honor of capitalization), but thanks for initially bringing the program back from obscurity. However, truly not a stellar program. We have been totally insignificant on the national level for a minimum of 4 years. Why is a state employee not held accountable for his job performance. mack has evolved into a narcissistic boor…totally self-satisfying. My observations of his current actions result in a determination that we have been "fudge-packed" by the self proclaimed deity, mack brown.