Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The morning after thoughts...

LongviewLobo01

I am enraged to the point that I doubt I will ever fully be able to remember Mack in a positive manner moving forward. The only way I'll ever be able to think back at Mack's tenure positively now is if we still hit a homerun and return to prominence with our replacement hire. That job just got much tougher.

Saban was on the hook and ready to come and somehow Mack's meeting with Powers and Patterson did something to change the entire dynamic. Saban could have announced that extension at any point during the week if it were that close. But choosing to do it right in the middle of the UT banquet and by freaking Herbstreit of all people was a middle finger to Texas. The only thing worse would have been if Finebaum had done it. Saban leaking his extension when he did means to me that things were a hell of a lot closer than anyone will ever know.

I'm going to work under the assumption that Mack is still going to step down at some point. I HAVE to. I will not be able to enjoy anything about the offseason or next season if he is still the coach. Now it's back to square one.

I'd absolutely hate to be Powers right now. There's no way that he's not getting killed by some BMDs and the BoR right now. Hicks has to be incensed at the way this has unfolded. Powers basically just gave the middle finger to the BoR also by not finishing Mack off. I've always been a supporter of his presidency, but right now he's about as much on my hitlist as Mack is. Staking everything you have worked for as President of the University on Mack freaking Brown is an extremely stupid bet.

Just imagine how those BMDs feel after all of their hard work, time, and money were spent getting Saban to basically be ready to jump on board. Imagine their anger.

Just imagine how we'll all feel if Mack is still the head coach after we possibly get blown away in the bowl game.

On second thought, it's probably better if we don't imagine that.

I don't want to be around JBM, Hicks, Tillerson or Rowling right now. Those guys don't like being told no or not getting what they want. If you think Mack was on the hot seat before last night I bet he doesn't even have a seat anymore because it's been burned to a crisp. I imagine they are very, very unhappy today. I'd imagine quite a bit of Johnny Blue was drank last night.

Got up this morning to see where I left off last night and read your post Lobo. You freakin nailed it. That is exactly how myself and a lot of other fans feel this morning. Mack just killed his legacy at UT. There are too many people that will hate him for what he just did.

Whether or not Mack had anything to do with Saban staying at 'Bama is and will be a moot point. There's always the chance that Saban was never coming and it was all just a smokescreen. But Mack delaying everything like he did and then Saban announcing when he did will always make people like me and others believe Mack is the reason Saban isn't here. And every time Alabama plays for a title or signs another 5* and Texas struggles against some Big 12 afterthought I will curse Mack's name.

I don't want to be around JBM, Hicks, Tillerson or Rowling right now. Those guys don't like being told no or not getting what they want. If you think Mack was on the hot seat before last night I bet he doesn't even have a seat anymore because it's been burned to a crisp. I imagine they are very, very unhappy today. I'd imagine quite a bit of Johnny Blue was drank last night.

This right here is why I'm still confident Mack is out.

There is absolutely no confirmation of any of the supposed going on's here actually went on except for speculation from some people on the internet claiming to know someone.

Saban is the highest paid coach at the currently the most powerful football team with a ton more talent coming in. At a program with equal or more prestige than ours. He's 54 years old, and supposedly going to drop all that for a raise here? That would put the ire of a ton of fans on him, make him look bad nationally, and make him deal with the million questions from the press, and we all know how much Saban likes dealing with the press.

No one knows what went on behind the scenes, but people like to speculate so they can vent their anger on somebody and feel justified.

Grow up.

Yep. I have no doubt powers is getting an earful this morning. This will be a messy weekend in the offices at UT this weekend. I just pray we hear something this weekend. No matter what mack does Texas can't let this drag on

If Mack's staying why is he refusing to say and just saying he will make the best decision? It's not over

Just imagine how those BMDs feel after all of their hard work, time, and money were spent getting Saban to basically be ready to jump on board. Imagine their anger.

Just imagine how we'll all feel if Mack is still the head coach after we possibly get blown away in the bowl game.

On second thought, it's probably better if we don't imagine that.

I hope we lose big in that game. Total humiliation would be just fine with me.

I've always been a firm believer that things work out the way they're supposed to. It's not always easy or clean, but they somehow seem to work out the right way. I still feel like this will and am willing to see how it plays out. I understand everyone's frustration for sure. I do think there's a lot of overreacting going on, considering we don't know the full story yet. I will just say hang in there and hope the ending to all of this is better than the middle has been. Have a great Saturday everyone.

Edited by CardSID

Lobo, I sure don't know anything out here in East Texas other than what I read but I woke up this morning with the thought that just maybe the BMDs, Patterson and possibly even Powers have played Mack. Mack obviously wants everything to look like it is his idea and he doesn't appear to want to be followed by Saban. It seems clear that last night was supposed to be a tribute to the career of "a retired" coach Mack Brown. Don Evans prepared remarks were not put together after the meeting between Brown, Patterson, and Powers. But by putting out the word to Burton, the mouthpiece of Belmont, and a coach that I have not seen identified yet that Mack was staying, the first problem is solved - if and when Mack retires it will have been his idea.

This next part is just a thought and may be completely off base, but I believe I read where the relationship between Patterson and Saban was not so much with Saban but with Sexton. That Sexton trusted Patterson. Possibly Patterson told Sexton to have Saban announce that he had accepted the extension to clear the second obstacle to Mack's annoucement. And if Saban did sign the extension, the BMDs would pay the buyout, if there is one. I read somewhere that if Saban wanted Morris as his OC, they would be willing to pay his huge buyout. If they would pay for Morris would they not pay for Saban.

So now you have Mack staying until it is his idea to walk away and Saban is out of play since he has accepted the extension at Alabama. I realize this is a wild idea but we have now gone beyond athletics and have ventured into the realm of politics and, in politics, nothing is out of the question if it helps to achieve the end result.

These thoughts would be a way for BMDs, Patterson and Powers to expedite the annoucement from Mack.

These are just the ramblings of an old man that learned a long time ago that what you see or hear on the surface may be only a portion of what is actually going on.

Exactly how I feel. I've always supported Powers but now I want him gone too. Maybe he is part of the problem after all.

And while before my dislike for Mack was purely related to his being out coach, he has now lost my respect as a person.

Not that he cares one way or another. It's obviously all about him in his world.

Two championships in 16 seasons. Imagine his record without Vince, Colt, hell, for that matter Applewhite! The Old Ball Coach had him pegged when he dubbed him Coach February. The problem is that everyone caught on to early offers, and Mack let his world slip away. The salary and adoration he receives is disgusting. The thought of letting this snake-oil salesman surpassing DKR's record makes me want to puke! I'm with SA, get me a bucket!

Lobo, I sure don't know anything out here in East Texas other than what I read but I woke up this morning with the thought that just maybe the BMDs, Patterson and possibly even Powers have played Mack. Mack obviously wants everything to look like it is his idea and he doesn't appear to want to be followed by Saban. It seems clear that last night was supposed to be a tribute to the career of "a retired" coach Mack Brown. Don Evans prepared remarks were not put together after the meeting between Brown, Patterson, and Powers. But by putting out the word to Burton, the mouthpiece of Belmont, and a coach that I have not seen identified yet that Mack was staying, the first problem is solved - if and when Mack retires it will have been his idea.

This next part is just a thought and may be completely off base, but I believe I read where the relationship between Patterson and Saban was not so much with Saban but with Sexton. That Sexton trusted Patterson. Possibly Patterson told Sexton to have Saban announce that he had accepted the extension to clear the second obstacle to Mack's annoucement. And if Saban did sign the extension, the BMDs would pay the buyout, if there is one. I read somewhere that if Saban wanted Morris as his OC, they would be willing to pay his huge buyout. If they would pay for Morris would they not pay for Saban.

So now you have Mack staying until it is his idea to walk away and Saban is out of play since he has accepted the extension at Alabama. I realize this is a wild idea but we have now gone beyond athletics and have ventured into the realm of politics and, in politics, nothing is out of the question if it helps to achieve the end result.

These thoughts would be a way for BMDs, Patterson and Powers to expedite the annoucement from Mack.

These are just the ramblings of an old man that learned a long time ago that what you see or hear on the surface may be only a portion of what is actually going on.

Good stuff joe. Man could you imagine the outrage in 'Bama if Saban packed up next week and came anyway...That would be worth its price in gold.

There is absolutely no confirmation of any of the supposed going on's here actually went on except for speculation from some people on the internet claiming to know someone.

Saban is the highest paid coach at the currently the most powerful football team with a ton more talent coming in. At a program with equal or more prestige than ours. He's 54 years old, and supposedly going to drop all that for a raise here? That would put the ire of a ton of fans on him, make him look bad nationally, and make him deal with the million questions from the press, and we all know how much Saban likes dealing with the press.

No one knows what went on behind the scenes, but people like to speculate so they can vent their anger on somebody and feel justified.

Grow up.

62 years (October 31, 1951)

Nick Saban, Age