Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know some will disagree with this

el mahico

I am a nobody here (hell, don't kid yourself, Jim. You are a nobody everywhere), but I disagree with the premise that MB is making is easy on UT. I understand not wanting to quit. That feeling is instilled in athletes and coaches, and not giving up is one of the many great lessons one learns from athletics. It is quite another thing, however, to refuse to accept the result when the game is over. This game has been over for MB for awhile now, but he has refused to accept it publicly, and thus far, he has refused to bow out gracefully. Maybe he will, but releasing JJ, his personal junkyard dog, to express his denial for him while he maintains his "it is all about the kids" MB image spin is not a good sign. I hope he does the right thing today.

It is all about MB for him. That has been true since day one. MBTF? Bull$#@!. It is Texas Football, and it will be here and strong long after this big ego moves on. I respect the accomplishments but not the man.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't think Mack has been that way from day one

Several things about Mack are interesting

1 Mack has never understood the intense rivalry, downright hatrid, for ouSuxx and aggy. Thus he looks at a loss to ouSuxx, especially a blowout as something with the team to be fixed, it doesn't seem to disturb him to his core like it does to those of us alums and fans that love UT

As a result when we lose a blowout to ouSuxx he never gets how awful the pain is for us, he just doesn't, and then we turn around in a year or two and there is another blowout loss.

2. Mack was genuinely humble for a while but he would lose big games at the most inopportune times ie CU-2, and that just ripped us apart

3 After we got over the hump with VY and the sensational year of 2005, Mack seemed to change and started believing he was bullet proof and that HE was Texas Football, and that continued threw the Colt years.

4 Mack got lazy in recruiting in 08-09, terribly mismanaged our qb situation, didn't have a competent backup ready when Colt went down and now we have had these 4 yrs

5 Mack thinks because of the good years he should be immune to accountability and I think this happened in the last 7 or 8 yrs.

In short, mack has done some really good things for UT, especially his early yrs in recruiting and providing the basis for some good to great teams. I also think he left several conference championships and perhaps a national championship on the table due to a lack of good caoching on his part.

The last four years are unacceptable and he needs to understand that, but he just doesn't get it.

Powers will have to coax him into the presser, and if not, Patterson needs to bring a hatchett

But Mack's handling this well, imo. He could easily make this whole thing a nightmare for Texas. He's not. Just about any other coach would be talking to the media and making things more difficult. I think we're all just expecting too much given the circumstances. Everyone keeps bringing up USC. USC didn't fire a legend. They fired a JAG that nobody will talk about anymore and who didn't deserve that job. What's going on right now is a soap opera because that's the only way it could be in this scenario. Texas splitting ways with one of it's top 2 coaches ever and about to potentially hire maybe the best ever. This is kind of a big deal.

Your right EM. I don't agree. Mack is acting like a baby. Think of Major Applewhite. Mack sat him down in favor of a younger player. What UT is doing is exactly that kind of decision. Doing what they think is best for UT. Sorry Mack is being a baby and can't accept that the powers in charge don't believe his the best option moving forward but that is life and it happens to all of us. Coaching is the only profession where I hear the words he's earned the right to leave on his own terms. That may have been how it was at one time but that's not how things are now and Mack needs to realize that at step aside. The fact he demanding a payoff to leave is total BS to me. He has been very well compensated for his time here.

Valid points by all on here, but here is my $.02. There are still a 100 young men on this team that went home after the Baylor loss. They were not scheduled to return to campus until today. There is also a job (recruiting) to be done with the dead period quickly approaching. The fact the team was gone and work still had to be done could account for the lack of information or (denials) coming from the MB side of things. If I were a coach who spent this much time with these young men I would want to tell them in person rather than through text messages, twitter, or have them hear it on SportsCenter.

As it relates to Tuberville, Tech didnt fire him. He took the Cincy job leaving his players in the cold. Was the same with Kelly when he left Cincy for ND. Those players found out they didnt have a coach through social media and ESPN.

Could I be wrong on this? Sure, but I do think that some of this can be attributed to the process.

So, a couple of different posters have mentioned that Mack could make this worse. I would be very interested in hearing how you perceive he could do this. How could him talking to the media blow this up even more? Do you think he would expose dirty secrets of the current regime? This would guarantee he lands on the black list for any future job opportunities and demolish any positive buy out scenarios other than what is strictly in his contract. He whines to the media about being a Texas coaching legend who is unceremoniously shown the door? Well, just for starters, his record in the past 4 years vs his paycheck shows that he needs to be gone.

How exactly could Mack make this worse? This isn't sarcasm, I honestly would like to hear logical reasons.

from Mack Brown@UT_MackBrown today

"Don't waste your life in doubts and fears: spend yourself on the work before you ......assured that the

right performance of this hour's duties will be the best prep for the hours or ages that follow it.â€

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

So, a couple of different posters have mentioned that Mack could make this worse. I would be very interested in hearing how you perceive he could do this. How could him talking to the media blow this up even more? Do you think he would expose dirty secrets of the current regime? This would guarantee he lands on the black list for any future job opportunities and demolish any positive buy out scenarios other than what is strictly in his contract. He whines to the media about being a Texas coaching legend who is unceremoniously shown the door? Well, just for starters, his record in the past 4 years vs his paycheck shows that he needs to be gone.

How exactly could Mack make this worse? This isn't sarcasm, I honestly would like to hear logical reasons.

Because the university doesn't want to fire him and Mack knows that. So what you have here is a huge game of chicken. Mack seeing how far he can push things without the university getting fed up and just firing him instead of him stepping down.

Because the university doesn't want to fire him and Mack knows that. So what you have here is a huge game of chicken. Mack seeing how far he can push things without the university getting fed up and just firing him instead of him stepping down.

Macks problem is he stands to make a lot more money by resigning, if he digs in he will be axed by Patterson and will receive his contractual buyout of almost three million but no money ongoing and no ongoing job.

He may not realize it but he will become a hated man among UT alums and Horn fans.

I suspect when he sees Powers and Patterson and is presented his option of a total of 13 million over 7 yrs or a 3 million lump sum as well as the bad will he will garnish if he doesn't step down, I suspect mack will do the right thing, for mack.

This doesn't even remotely answer the question. All you have done is summarize the current situation of Mack already making it be as uncomfortable as it could. How could he possibly make it worse, as some are claiming? Unless you are claiming that by forcing his own firing, instead of a forced resignation would make it worse, which is ridiculous.

I think that Mack B's tenure at UT has run its course, and I appreciate that he has done some good (or great) things during the past 16 years. I wish him well, and hope that his departure doesn't lead to years of damage control on the PR front. But, for those that are being hard on Mack B because he "is all for him" or selfish, tell me . . . who do y'all think Saban is for? The School? - No demonstrated loyalty in the past to the school (or team, i.e., Miami Dolphins). The players? - Really, he sure stood up for his players after losing the Auburn game. Saban can coach, perhaps one of the best / most successful college coaches of all time. I get it. But, if he comes to Texas it will be for the money, enhanced place in college football history if he can win a NC here, and such. It's about him. Nothing less. Nothing more.

Hook 'em!

This should have been resolved by last Monday at the latest.

With all due respect I completely disagree. With recruiting going on and the dead period coming up the 16th there was no reason to rush this keep everything business as usual. Finish the banquet and get the person that will be coming in lined up and let the transition be smooth from the time of the announcement. There are roughly 80 employees that will potentially be affected by this decision and I am sure they are looking out for them a well (coaches and administration) A lot more to the situation than just Mack when it is all said and done. Lets try to have some patience and let the plan work itself out.

Edited by Navinjohnson15

Can you give us cliff notes?

basically just said Mack has agreed to retire and stop fighting etc. likely goes down this weekend. That he will be compensated very well. Saban front still looks good - Red McCombs is money whipping him

I've long been a supporter of Mack Brown and his contributions to the Texas football program. But he's put a slightly better than mediocre product on the fiel the past three seasons after a disasterous 2010 campaign. All the while he has taken home a cool 5M for his efforts annually. Now let's be honest, if any of us produced at slightly above the .500 mark (18-17) in Big 12 play over the timespan, we'd be shown the door and or bankrupt the business. He's missed on several blue chip QBs and opted to play a legacy recruit that would have trouble starting at the juco level. My point is Mack has had time. He chose to stay with a DC and essentially derailed the 2013 season from the get-go. It's time to accept your legacy and rest assured you will never be compared to DKR if you make a mess of the transition process. See Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. I only use the Paterno comparison as tied to stubbornness to step aside when asked. And can I close by saying 2 conference titles in 16 years is not our standard. The afore mentioned DKR had 11 conference crowns in 20 seasons on the 40. It's time, Mack. It's time. FWIW

agree 100%. It was time for him to step down after 2010, imo. He's been stubborn to try to stay on as long as he has. Deloss and Mack and Powers were all too close to each other and it distorted their objectivity and created an environment of no accountability.