Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know some will disagree with this

el mahico

But Mack's handling this well, imo. He could easily make this whole thing a nightmare for Texas. He's not. Just about any other coach would be talking to the media and making things more difficult. I think we're all just expecting too much given the circumstances. Everyone keeps bringing up USC. USC didn't fire a legend. They fired a JAG that nobody will talk about anymore and who didn't deserve that job. What's going on right now is a soap opera because that's the only way it could be in this scenario. Texas splitting ways with one of it's top 2 coaches ever and about to potentially hire maybe the best ever. This is kind of a big deal.

But Mack's handling this well, imo. He could easily make this whole thing a nightmare for Texas. He's not. Just about any other coach would be talking to the media and making things more difficult. I think we're all just expecting too much given the circumstances. Everyone keeps bringing up USC. USC didn't fire a legend. They fired a JAG that nobody will talk about anymore and who didn't deserve that job. What's going on right now is a soap opera because that's the only way it could be in this scenario. Texas splitting ways with one of it's top 2 coaches ever and about to potentially hire maybe the best ever. This is kind of a big deal.

You da man. Couldn't agree more bruha. The stalling does nothing more than make sure it's done smoothly. Our fragile nerves aside. The Viper cometh.

I've been hard on Mack at times. I admit it. I question his decision to go away from everything he had going with the spread and a mobile QB. The recruiting mistakes. The lack of oversight his program has right now. But I will never question his intent or character. I just have heard too many damn good things about him. People are upset because this isn't happening in a week. Mack wants and deserves to coach the bowl game. Anyone suggesting he doesn't is letting their emotions get the better of them.

...you've got to be kidding...

first of all el mahico, welcome to "hornsports". however, may you please bare in mind, that when mack brown was initially hired as head coach of the texas longhorns... he was a relative unknown throughout the great state of texas... not to mention the city of austin. nonetheless, he was presented upon the "40 acres" with the utmost grace and respect.

16 seasons from pinnacle of success to sustained mediocrity... and yet longhorn nation has treated mack brown with the utmost respect and dignity... that is, until this season (in lieu of his promises of a return to championship form) just did not pan out as he had vigorously promised. and yet, we are still trying to see him depart with the utmost respect, grace, and dignity.

el mahico, i for one... am nothing but a simple man. but i can honestly assure you sir, that if i have achieved just a portion of all of the accolades, success, wealth, fame, and promise that mack brown has achieved upon his 16 years at texas.... i would die a man fulfilled.

sir, it is a privilege as well as a true blessing... to become the head coach at the university of texas. and somehow, in spite of all of his aforementioned accoutrements... mack brown, has somehow lost site of this sentiment.

mack brown is not the victim here...

...you've got to be kidding...

first of all el mahico, welcome to "hornsports". however, may you please bare in mind, that when mack brown was initially hired as head coach of the texas longhorns... he was a relative unknown throughout the great state of texas... not to mention the city of austin. nonetheless, he was presented upon the "40 acres" with the utmost grace and respect.

16 seasons from pinnacle of success to sustained mediocrity... and yet longhorn nation has treated mack brown with the utmost respect and dignity... that is, until this season (in lieu of his promises of a return to championship form) just did not pan out as he had vigorously promised. and yet, we are still trying to see him depart with the utmost respect, grace, and dignity.

el mahico, i for one... am nothing but a simple man. but i can honestly assure you sir, that if i have achieved just a portion of all of the accolades, success, wealth, fame, and promise that mack brown has achieved upon his 16 years at texas.... i would die a man fulfilled.

sir, it is a privilege as well as a true blessing... to become the head coach at the university of texas. and somehow, in spite of all of his aforementioned accoutrements... mack brown, has somehow lost site of this sentiment.

mack brown is not the victim here...

not saying he's a victim. Far from it. I'm saying Mack could be making a much bigger crap storm of things. Much bigger.

Agreed.

He's had four years to right this ship and he hasn't. No sign of progress and clear signs of disarray. He deserves to go gracefully but he must also realize that he is costing the program each day he decides to remain football coach.

We need to move on. Things haven't been the same since 2009 and we all know it. MAck even admitted to not being "in it" in 2010. He let us down big time.

My question is this. To date there's been strong suggestions of about half a dozen players getting paid at Bama under Saban. That's only the players that have hit the radar. It's reasonable to assume there's plenty more than that. There's also been plenty of noise about cheating at LSU, his last place to win championships. Does everyone think Saban is going to have the same success at Texas without cheating? Or is everyone fine if Texas just starts cheating? Or, is Saban just going to collect $50mil over five years with no championships, plus a buy out, and ride into the sunset as the most recent fired coach from Texas?

No.no.no, you and I disage on this. If it were not for Powers job being threatghen, Mack would have and almost did stand strong

My question is this. To date there's been strong suggestions of about half a dozen players getting paid at Bama under Saban. That's only the players that have hit the radar. It's reasonable to assume there's plenty more than that. There's also been plenty of noise about cheating at LSU, his last place to win championships. Does everyone think Saban is going to have the same success at Texas without cheating? Or is everyone fine if Texas just starts cheating? Or, is Saban just going to collect $50mil over five years with no championships, plus a buy out, and ride into the sunset as the most recent fired coach from Texas?

There's a whole lot of assumptions in that statement. Did you ever think that maybe he's going to get Texas football back on top by maximizing its potential, win some championships along the way and retire in 5-7 years regarded as the GOAT?

No.no.no, you and I disage on this. If it were not for Powers job being threatghen, Mack would have and almost did stand strong

not disagreeing. But he's playing ball right now more than we realize and give him credit for. He could be using his many friends in the media to make this look really bad for Texas. I'm just saying he's not the egomaniac than many are trying to make him out to be. You think bo pelini would be going out like this? Or Steve Spurrier? Or Joe Pa for that matter. It would be a nightmare for Texas in the media. Everything considered, as far as public perception goes it's going very quietly from all three sides (Texas, Mack and Saban). Not one of those camps has had anything of substance to say on the issue to this point. Nothing. All of the noise is coming from other areas.

EM, wanted to say thanks for the great posts and for coming over to HornSports. You have different sources than some other insiders and it's great to hear the differing perspectives from various sources. One question. Is it possible that the Mack stuff is a ruse and he actually is in support of handing the reigns over to Saban? It benefits him in every way. If people knew he helped land Saban and planned that kind of transition he would be loved even more than DKR. Any success Saban immediately had, Mack's camp would point to as "where he left the program" and maybe what another year or two with Mack would have looked like. It would validate Mack as one of the Texas greats because only the "best" coach at Texas. I think a crappy follow on coach gets blamed entirely on Mack and diminishes his legend and undoes what he built up. If Mack is the PR savvy person we think he is, he is aware of all of this. He should be the biggest proponent of Saban ever because it benefits him in almost every way.

Edited by texasfright

not disagreeing. But he's playing ball right now more than we realize and give him credit for. He could be using his many friends in the media to make this look really bad for Texas. I'm just saying he's not the egomaniac than many are trying to make him out to be. You think bo pelini would be going out like this? Or Steve Spurrier? Or Joe Pa for that matter. It would be a nightmare for Texas in the media. Everything considered, as far as public perception goes it's going very quietly from all three sides (Texas, Mack and Saban). Not one of those camps has had anything of substance to say on the issue to this point. Nothing. All of the noise is coming from other areas.

I talked to the J camp, that is the camp that is sticking it to H. Mack is nothing but a afterthought.

I am a nobody here (hell, don't kid yourself, Jim. You are a nobody everywhere), but I disagree with the premise that MB is making is easy on UT. I understand not wanting to quit. That feeling is instilled in athletes and coaches, and not giving up is one of the many great lessons one learns from athletics. It is quite another thing, however, to refuse to accept the result when the game is over. This game has been over for MB for awhile now, but he has refused to accept it publicly, and thus far, he has refused to bow out gracefully. Maybe he will, but releasing JJ, his personal junkyard dog, to express his denial for him while he maintains his "it is all about the kids" MB image spin is not a good sign. I hope he does the right thing today.

It is all about MB for him. That has been true since day one. MBTF? Bullshit. It is Texas Football, and it will be here and strong long after this big ego moves on. I respect the accomplishments but not the man.

Edited by JimR

I am a nobody here (hell, don't kid yourself, Jim. You are a nobody everywhere), but I disagree with the premise that MB is making is easy on UT. I understand not wanting to quit. That feeling is instilled in athletes and coaches, and not giving up is one of the many great lessons one learns from athletics. It is quite another thing, however, to refuse to accept the result when the game is over. This game has been over for MB for awhile now, but he has refused to accept it publicly, and thus far, he has refused to bow out gracefully. Maybe he will, but releasing JJ, his personal junkyard dog, to express his denial for him while he maintains his "it is all about the kids" MB image spin is not a good sign. I hope he does the right thing today.

It is all about MB for him. That has been true since day one. MBTF? Bull$#@!. It is Texas Football, and it will be here and strong long after this big ego moves on. I respect the accomplishments but not the man.

This is how I see it too.

I've long been a supporter of Mack Brown and his contributions to the Texas football program. But he's put a slightly better than mediocre product on the fiel the past three seasons after a disasterous 2010 campaign. All the while he has taken home a cool 5M for his efforts annually. Now let's be honest, if any of us produced at slightly above the .500 mark (18-17) in Big 12 play over the timespan, we'd be shown the door and or bankrupt the business. He's missed on several blue chip QBs and opted to play a legacy recruit that would have trouble starting at the juco level. My point is Mack has had time. He chose to stay with a DC and essentially derailed the 2013 season from the get-go. It's time to accept your legacy and rest assured you will never be compared to DKR if you make a mess of the transition process. See Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. I only use the Paterno comparison as tied to stubbornness to step aside when asked. And can I close by saying 2 conference titles in 16 years is not our standard. The afore mentioned DKR had 11 conference crowns in 20 seasons on the 40. It's time, Mack. It's time. FWIW