Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nick Saban's Insane Good Luck in MNCs

TexasFirst1

Nick Saban has enjoyed extraordinary luck in all of his MNC games:

2003 - His LSU team plays an OU team in the MNC game that lost the Big 12 championship game to KSU 35-7.

2009 - Alabama plays a UT team that needed a final play miracle to win the Big 12 over a bad Nebraska team. Colt McCoy goes down in the first series of the MNC game.

2011 - Alabama loses to LSU but OSU improbably lose to Iowa State to allow Alabama a rematch with LSU over several one loss conference champions.

2012 - Alabama loses to aggy but Oregon improbably loses to Stanford and KSU improbably loses big to Baylor so Alabama makes the MNC game.

2013 - Will anyone be surprised if tOSU loses to MSU and Auburn loses to Missouri close and Alabama plays FSU without Jameis Winston who is suspended?

Mack has similar luck doing just enough to escape the noose. Will anyone be surprised if UT somehow beats Baylor and OU beats OSU in extreme cold on Saturday? Does anyone seriously believe that Mack will resign or the dementia brothers will force him to resign if he wins the Big 12?

There is a very good reason why Saban is recruiting like crazy for Alabama this week.

2003 - His LSU team plays an OU team in the MNC game that lost the Big 12 championship game to KSU 35-7.

2009 - Alabama plays a UT team that needed a final play miracle to win the Big 12 over a bad Nebraska team. Colt McCoy goes down in the first series of the MNC game.

2011 - Alabama loses to LSU but OSU improbably lose to Iowa State to allow Alabama a rematch with LSU over several one loss conference champions.

2012 - Alabama loses to aggy but Oregon improbably loses to Stanford and KSU improbably loses big to Baylor so Alabama makes the MNC game.

2013 - Will anyone be surprised if tOSU loses to MSU and Auburn loses to Missouri close and Alabama plays FSU without Jameis Winston who is suspended?

Mack has similar luck doing just enough to escape the noose. Will anyone be surprised if UT somehow beats Baylor and OU beats OSU in extreme cold on Saturday? Does anyone seriously believe that Mack will resign or the dementia brothers will force him to resign if he wins the Big 12?

There is a very good reason why Saban is recruiting like crazy for Alabama this week.

It is insane how much has happened to get him those championships. Thanks for sharing this, I'll pass it along to my bammer friends.

Does anyone seriously believe that Mack will resign or the dementia brothers will force him to resign if he wins the Big 12?

I think the decision on Mack has already been made. You dont push for Saban if Mack coming back is still really on the table. I think he knows his fate. What is said publicly or crafted as the message this is all his decision is PR talk IMO

Not a chance fsu loses. There is a chance tOSU loses. FSU v Auburn or Missouri.

FSU losing to Duke becomes a much bigger possibility if Jameis is charged this week and the third string QB for FSU has to play. I do not see poll voters picking Missouri over Alabama but that is just my opinion.

Why single out Saban? Since 2001, there have been 6 undefeated national champions. You've singled out Saban's 4 titles. Let's look at the others:

2006 - Florida, Urban Meyer -- Needed a huge upset of 2nd ranked USC by UCLA on the final week of the season and allowed the Gators to move past Michigan in the BCS standings for the right to play Ohio State, who had just narrowly defeated Michigan. Lucky break for Florida and Meyer.

2007 - LSU, Les Miles -- Freaking 2 loss LSU needed OU beating top ranked Missouri and West Virginia losing to Pitt on the last week of the season to sneak in and eventually beat OSU for the title.

2008 - Florida, Urban Meyer -- Got to play OU in the title game instead of Texas, who beat OU by 10 in the RRR. Jumped Texas in the final BCS standings to prevent a UT-OU rematch. Another lucky break for Florida and Meyer both in the fact that they got to play OU and that they were able to jump Texas to begin with.

Saban isn't the only coach who has benefitted from things breaking his way. It happens each year where there aren't multiple undefeated teams at the end of the year.

Why single out Saban? Since 2001, there have been 6 undefeated national champions. You've singled out Saban's 4 titles. Let's look at the others:

2006 - Florida, Urban Meyer -- Needed a huge upset of 2nd ranked USC by UCLA on the final week of the season and allowed the Gators to move past Michigan in the BCS standings for the right to play Ohio State, who had just narrowly defeated Michigan. Lucky break for Florida and Meyer.

2007 - LSU, Les Miles -- Freaking 2 loss LSU needed OU beating top ranked Missouri and West Virginia losing to Pitt on the last week of the season to sneak in and eventually beat OSU for the title.

2008 - Florida, Urban Meyer -- Got to play OU in the title game instead of Texas, who beat OU by 10 in the RRR. Jumped Texas in the final BCS standings to prevent a UT-OU rematch. Another lucky break for Florida and Meyer both in the fact that they got to play OU and that they were able to jump Texas to begin with.

Saban isn't the only coach who has benefitted from things breaking his way. It happens each year where there aren't multiple undefeated teams at the end of the year.

Yes, but he is the only one with a run of 4 such great luck MNC scenarios and a fifth pending. The point is not intended as criticism of Saban. He is just one lucky SOB on MNC scenarios.

He is. He's only won a single title with an undefeated record and that was a game that saw his opponent's QB go down in the first 5 minutes of the game and they were still only up 3 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

But as a legendary UT coach once said "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."

Suh was out of control that night. Probably the most disruptive and effective games I've ever seen from a DL. One man wrecking crew. Yes we narrowly escaped but good/great teams get tested all the time.

I don't think Saban lucked out by drawing Texas. He lucked out by playing them without their undisputed, winningest of all time, 4 year starting team leader who happened to complete in the neighborhood of 75% of his passes only to be replaced by a guy who had never played, was a true freshman, committed 5 turnovers and basically didn't even run an offense that any of our players were familiar with but for 1/4 of the game.

The best luck Alabama has had on this run is not having to play some of the dynamic offenses. Oregon, Stanford, Okie State, us with Colt, etc. All of those teams I think would have won or at least given them a run for the money. As it is, Saban beat whoever was in front of him so it doesn't really matter.

FSU losing to Duke becomes a much bigger possibility if Jameis is charged this week and the third string QB for FSU has to play. I do not see poll voters picking Missouri over Alabama but that is just my opinion.

FSU beats Duke regardless. And expect Winston to be cleared tomorrow.

I'm taking tOSU to beat MSU very close and Auburn over Mizzou by a TD.

Close vote but Auburn sneaks ahead of the Buckeyes with a large national media push.

Just heard that the Jameis Winston announcement from the prosecutor will come tomorrow afternoon.

Well do not take we wrong,but I hope everything works out for Winston......so he can play this weekend for Florida State can win against Duke and hope that Ohio State wins against MSU...so Alabama can not back in to the MNC

That way Saban can get here ASAP:)