Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire with McPhaul - 12/4/2013

HornSports Staff

That was a must read for any Longhorn. Thanks. I think we should get back to playing the Aggies again too. College football is about rivalries. Games that stir up hate and emotion. We only have 1 rival left, OU. There are no games against other Big 12 teams that excite the country enough to turn on the tv and watch. Last weekend was sad for me. Looking up and seeing all those state or intersectional rivalries that have been around for so long. We need to play them again, and on Thanksgiving weekend.

Good read, thanks McPhaul. I would also like your thoughts on the timing of Mack's resignation. I didn't see that question asked.

Also, anyone know when the dead period starts and ends? Thanks

Leave him alone. I happen to know his source, and when you interview Foghorn Leghorn it just wouldn't be the same without a few "sons" and a few "I said I say there boy"s.

zzzizzzy- That is some funny $hit. "I say, I say Boy! Come here Boy!"

A couple of guys I have as customers told me a month before Deloss announced not only that DD would announce, but when he would announce. They also said expect a denial right before it happens. They called it perfectly, a month out. Their sources have been solid.

They told me right after the Terry Saban fiasco (coming to Austin, twice) that I would hear all kinds of names being thrown around - some of that to appease Mack's wounded ego and some of that just to muddy the water and take pressure off Saban. That has happened, on cue.

They recently shared with me what numbers are involved, outside the $8 mil contract offer. Put it this way - no coach in any sport at any level, anywhere, has ever earned this much dinero. It's up front and it's guaranteed. The contract itself is in the $8 mil neighborhood, but the additional stuff that more than doubles that number won't show up in the contract. So if Bama counters with a higher offer, and we counter to match, and Bama counters again but Saban still comes to Texas for what seems like less money - that's why.

They told me last week Saban's due in Austin this week. Gonna meet some folks that he needs to meet, discuss the details, set a course of direction/timing. They've not backed off that as of yesterday.

Guys, this shite didn't just get real. It's been real.

Hell, I thought it was fun.....Read like a good story, just like the old weekly Dan Cook articles (Dr. Benjamin Broadhind) he had in the SA Express many, many years ago....weekly riots.

Great weekly transfusion, Darrell......Keep it up

A Dan Cook reference. Nice. Very old school writer. He was always pretty nice to me in his columns in HS. Man enjoyed a cocktail or two.

My buddies and I ran into him in a bar one night near where we lived in SA that we could sneak in and play pool and drink beer (drinking age was 18 then and a far different time in our culture). A couple of us were all also ballboys for the Spurs (almost all of the ballboys who didn't have BSDs for dads were from my HS) and we started swapping stories and he loved that (the Spurs at the time were a very 'colorful' group and I mean that in a good way). It became a somewhat regular thing. He ended up nominating all of us that had a decent season for the All-City team. The nomination alone got you at least honorable mention, so we had that going for us. Which was nice when you were 16-17.

Good times. Good memories. Hadn't thought of those times in many many years.

A Dan Cook reference. Nice. Very old school writer. He was always pretty nice to me in his columns in HS. Man enjoyed a cocktail or two.

My buddies and I ran into him in a bar one night near where we lived in SA that we could sneak in and play pool and drink beer (drinking age was 18 then and a far different time in our culture). A couple of us were all also ballboys for the Spurs (almost all of the ballboys who didn't have BSDs for dads were from my HS) and we started swapping stories and he loved that (the Spurs at the time were a very 'colorful' group and I mean that in a good way). It became a somewhat regular thing. He ended up nominating all of us that had a decent season for the All-City team. The nomination alone got you at least honorable mention, so we had that going for us. Which was nice when you were 16-17.

Good times. Good memories. Hadn't thought of those times in many many years.

Cool story BS, thanks for sharing. even though I'm from Houston I remember him quite clearly as well....albeit minus the personal contact. Dan was a native Houstonian and part of that great generation of legendary Texas sportswriters that includes Dan, Mickey Herzkowitz, Blackie Sherrod, Dan Jenkins, etc. As you mentioned, it was a different time.

I agree that caliber of writer doesn't exist today. Most of us already know the facts and the data; I want a writer who's got some actual literary talent and might come up with a point of view that will make me think. There just doesn't seem to be many guys like that anymore. I liked Herskowitz a lot, but Sherrod and Jenkins are the stuff of legends. Dan makes that class due to longevity, but he didn't really have the writing chops of the others IMO.

A couple of guys I have as customers told me a month before Deloss announced not only that DD would announce, but when he would announce. They also said expect a denial right before it happens. They called it perfectly, a month out. Their sources have been solid.

They told me right after the Terry Saban fiasco (coming to Austin, twice) that I would hear all kinds of names being thrown around - some of that to appease Mack's wounded ego and some of that just to muddy the water and take pressure off Saban. That has happened, on cue.

They recently shared with me what numbers are involved, outside the $8 mil contract offer. Put it this way - no coach in any sport at any level, anywhere, has ever earned this much dinero. It's up front and it's guaranteed. The contract itself is in the $8 mil neighborhood, but the additional stuff that more than doubles that number won't show up in the contract. So if Bama counters with a higher offer, and we counter to match, and Bama counters again but Saban still comes to Texas for what seems like less money - that's why.

They told me last week Saban's due in Austin this week. Gonna meet some folks that he needs to meet, discuss the details, set a course of direction/timing. They've not backed off that as of yesterday.

Guys, this shite didn't just get real. It's been real.

now thats some nice info. Hope it happens. things are really heating up

I agree that caliber of writer doesn't exist today. Most of us already know the facts and the data; I want a writer who's got some actual literary talent and might come up with a point of view that will make me think. There just doesn't seem to be many guys like that anymore. I liked Herskowitz a lot, but Sherrod and Jenkins are the stuff of legends. Dan makes that class due to longevity, but he didn't really have the writing chops of the others IMO.

No doubt, Herskowitz, Sherrod, and Jenkins were great writers regardless of topic as their careers' bear out...Scipio would be the modern day blog equivalent. We were certainly fortunate to have such immense talent performing as our local sports beat writers back in the day.

To be honest, I enjoyed it and am with zizzy...I thought it gave the impression you were visiting with an older Texas multi-millionaire in his 70's who's known you since you were a kid...which I imagine is pretty close to the truth.

I'll add that it adds great context to the interview style as it reads like you transcribed it from a voice recorder.

Guys, this $#@!e didn't just get real. It's been real.

Good post! Network to get CNS on your client list...

Put me in the camp that says it's too early to put a&m back on the schedule. Down the road (several years from now) then maybe some consideration can be given to it....maybe.

And why do I have a Tommy Tuberville/Auburn scenario popping up in my head? Mack needs to announce his "resignation" as fast as possible after the Baylor game and Nick needs to be announced soon after. The heat is about to be turned up and the last thing we need is for Saban to start getting question after question about him leaving Bama.