Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would Aggie Veto a Texas to SEC realignment?

BevoBlake

Two points:

1. UT would've been chosen by the SEC over Mizzery OR A&M if we were interested in being there. Moot point. It's possible that Mike Slive is retarded, but I doubt it.

2. IMHO, our next move will be an arrangement similar to what Notre Dame or BYU has. Football independence with conference affiliation for every other sport.

1. True

2. All but a given - If Texas makes a move, it will be to join ND

there are no conferences that would reject Texas (by itself) joining it. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

There is the null set of conferences that would reject Texas. Period.

True. Aggy would b!tch and moan about it, but the grown-ups in Birmingham would shut them up. Texas brings too much with it to pass up. The question remains why Texas would want to ever join the SEC, but if we wanted in, we would get in. I still think the only reason Texas would even consider such a move would be because some major shirt happened in the economics of college football that set off a major wave of restructuring. My bet is that if it happens, it will be because cable bundling was prohibited by Congress and the various sports channels became a-la-carte subscriptions. Canada is trying to make that happen and if it happens up there, there is a good chance it happens down here.

No thanks to the SEC.

This stuff is all cyclical. Not very long ago LSU and Alabama sucked. How appealing is that conference if they're not dominating? Not very. You can't make a move based on what is happening today or even 7 or 8 years from now. If the SEC is not thoroughly dominating I say they have almost the least appeal of the viable options. Even with their (overstated) dominance of today I would still prefer a few alternatives.

Edited by Brasky

If forced to spend weekends in the fall driving endlessly through Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee I will give up college football.

If you have such an affinity for those of the blue collar rural south, you must have loathed your time in Austin. For me, I much prefer games in Dallas, visiting friends in West Texas and an occasional trip to Stillwater (to remind me how lucky I am to be a Texan). Towns like Starkville, Auburn and even College Station, where a decent meal consists of grease laden crap from Applebees cooked by someone who is his own cousin do nothing for me.

West Virginia isn't great but its not a bad drive from D.C. and those people are a welcome upgrade in both culture and sophistication over the aggys.

I, for one, have no interest in spending weekends in rural backwaters of the old south. No thanks.

Easy now there Yankee boy... us country boys don't think to kindly to talk like this

• 7 years later...
On 11/26/2013 at 10:10 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

Two points:

1. UT would've been chosen by the SEC over Mizzery OR A&M if we were interested in being there. Moot point. It's possible that Mike Slive is retarded, but I doubt it.

2. IMHO, our next move will be an arrangement similar to what Notre Dame or BYU has. Football independence with conference affiliation for every other sport.

Welp, I was wrong.

I hope we can expect another "Welcome to the SEC" video from the aggies. Our parody of that embarrassing video was funnier.

6 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Welp, I was wrong.

I hope we can expect another "Welcome to the SEC" video from the aggies. Our parody of that embarrassing video was funnier.

I couldn’t watch the whole thing. It was just way too….     aggie.