Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would Aggie Veto a Texas to SEC realignment?

BevoBlake

This sentiment is exactly why the UT athletic program is in the dumpster.....ARROGANCE!

Lol.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when you have to claim fake championships from 100 years ago because you haven't won anything on the field.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when your fanbase goes ape-sh!t crazy because your school has finally won bowl games in back to back years for the first time in 75 years.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when you realize that at the greatest time in the history of your program your hated rival, if they win their game the day after tomorrow, will have the exact same record for the season as your team which is lead by the greatest player you have ever had.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when your hated rival is 2nd in college football in all-time wind and your team is celebrating 700 wins, a milestone your hated rival surpassed before some of your current players were even born.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when to whitewash the ineptitude of your program you try to whitewash your inability to win by making claims like that your school was a small school school with only half the enrollment of the schools you played against when everyone know your school was all male and the other schools were 50% female (it wasn't the women on the other teams that whipped your asses year in and year out).

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when you get whipped by your hated rival in every single sport you played them for over a century. And then go running away to another conference because you were sick and tired of getting your asses beaten.

(Should I go on? I can, if you want me to)

You aggy are amazing. Personal insults against people who explain the truth to you don't count for much. Call me anything you want. Its what little brothers do.

Edited by Randolph Duke

So, in the last 32 years (1980 to now), the SEC has won 12 NCs, with the last 7 in a row.

Everything is cyclical. They won't make it to an even 10. The traditionally strong powers will be back and some may already be back (FSU, Ohio State, etc).

Oregon and Stanford are knocking on ther door, Texas will win again with a new coach, Penn State will rebound some, Nebraska can compete again with anyone other than Pelini, Clemson and Oklahoma can be contenders, as possibly Miami if Golden sticks around.

The SEC is great right now. But they won't maintain this current dominance forever, probably even for the next 3 years. Too many good coaches out there right now, and not all in the SEC.

2012 Alabama BCS

2011 Alabama BCS

2010 Auburn BCS

2009 Alabama BCS

2008 Florida BCS

2007 Louisiana State BCS

2006 Florida BCS

2005 Texas BCS

2004 Southern California BCS

2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA

2002 Ohio State BCS

2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS

2000 Oklahoma BCS

1999 Florida State BCS

1998 Tennessee BCS

1997 Michigan, Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN

1996 Florida AP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN

1995 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1994 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1993 Florida St. AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1992 Alabama AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1991 Washington, Miami (Fla.) FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP

1990 Colorado, Georgia Tech FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI

1989 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1988 Notre Dame AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1987 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1986 Penn St. AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1985 Oklahoma AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1984 Brigham Young AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1983 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1982 Penn St. AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1981 Clemson AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

1980 Georgia

Aggy would do everything possible to be an obstacle to anything Texas chose to do simply because the entire mentality of those snotpicking morons is to bve anti-Texas to the point of purposely going against even the brilliant ideas that come out of the 40 acres. That mentality is exactly why in spite of having enormous resources they have been, and still are, a second tier program that gets kicked around on a regular basis. Their greatest season was a Cotton Bowl win and third in their division. They greatest player in the history of their program was a character risk who got stuck going there because he wasn't up to the strandard expected at Texas. Their greatest tradition (12th Man) is a fake story that is a real as Santa Claus. What makes you think they would do anything other than try to be an annoyance to their more attractive, more successful and wealthier big brother.

That being said, why in God's name would we want to associate ourselves with the wretched, poverty-addled mouthbreathers that comprise the SEC? Think forward. Think what the next change in college sports will be like. Position for that. We are Texas. We don't join other conferences. We create other conferences.

Ha, ha. I couldn't agree with you more.

I like your last sentence and it could come to fruition maybe more than you think. Super conferences have been bandied about quite a bit. The reasoning being:

1. It does away with the NCAA

2. It simply is Ka-ching, Ka-ching, Ka-ching!

3. It eliminates the weak "Sisters-of-the-poor", that are leeches in most of the existing conferences.

4. It adds supreme fan interest.

I can conceive of a super conference consisting of:

Texas

Alabama

FSU

LSU

OU

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida

Georgia

OSU

Michigan State

ETC.

As far as a SEC veto, who do you think Slive would prefer - UT or aggy?

If Texas even hinted at the fact that we were interested in the SEC, Slive would be on the phone with Patterson or whoever he needed to be on the phone with in minutes. Bringing Texas into the SEC would be like winning the lottery...twice.

Remember, the reason that the SEC went after and took Arkansas in was because Broyles made some backroom promises to the higher ups in the SEC that he could bring Texas along. They didn't want Arkansas. Texas was the big fish at that time too. Obviously we see how that worked.

And when realignment was happening a few years ago, the SEC again wanted Texas first and foremost, but Dodds and Texas again weren't interested. So the SEC took A&M in order to gain inroads into the state. Not exactly a terrible fallback option considering how things have turned out, but I guarantee you that if Texas wanted in, they probably wouldn't even need to hold a vote of any kind.

I work with a number of LSU donors and alumni and they all respect the hell out of Texas. And they all want Texas in the SEC. Most of them would kindly kick A&M out in order to bring Texas in. They don't like A&M.

The biggest issue would be the Longhorn Network, but being that it's done by ESPN and the SEC Network is going to be an ESPN channel I have a feeling that all the parties could get together on it and work something out. It wouldn't be too difficult to cut back Texas' money from the conference network to make up for the LHN to make things equal between all parties. That's what ESPN and IMG get paid the big money to deal with.

The definition of "in the dumpster" is when to whitewash the ineptitude of your program you try to whitewash your inability to win by making claims like that your school was a small school school with only half the enrollment of the schools you played against when everyone know your school was all male and the other schools were 50% female (it wasn't the women on the other teams that whipped your asses year in and year out).

Funny how a small, all-male school on the Hudson (THE United States Military Academy) didn't have a problem winning back in the 40's. Three consecutive National Championships (1944, 1945, and 1946) since the aggies won their one and only in 1939. Oh, that's right, aggie claimed the 1927 & 1919 titles last year.

Whoop!

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

Ha, ha. I couldn't agree with you more.

I like your last sentence and it could come to fruition maybe more than you think. Super conferences have been bandied about quite a bit.

As far as a SEC veto, who do you think Slive would prefer - UT or aggy?

Lol. Yea. I thought that last sentence was kind of funny. I like to put stuff like that in a few of my posts just for effect. Most of the faithful already know my style and why I include those little zingers. It's usually the lurkers (especially the ones from farmville) who take the bait and go off on them (evidenced by the tshirtfan and his plaintive wailing of "ARROGANCE!")

As for the SEC, no one wants to be in a conference with aggy. Hell, Slive didn't want aggy and more than we did. He wanted into the Texas market. Aggy was a big program that wouldn't upset the conference's power structure by winning a lot, so they took them.

I seriously thing un-bundling of cable programming is what sets off major realignment. When that comes, SECN can't make subscribers pay if they don't want the channel and the way you upgrade the quality of the channel is to dump crappy content (and crappy teams) .

I wouldn't be shocked if in our lifetimes we saw a major division of 64 teams with a true playoff and relegation to dump underperformers and allowed upstarts a way to be part of the championship equation if they perform over time. That concentrates the big money with the valuable schools and allows everyone a path to the bigtime.

I wouldn't be shocked if in our lifetimes we saw a major division of 64 teams with a true playoff and relegation to dump underperformers and allowed upstarts a way to be part of the championship equation if they perform over time. That concentrates the big money with the valuable schools and allows everyone a path to the bigtime.

An arrangement similar to English Premier League futbol? Underperforming/drawing teams are relegated outside the privileged 64?

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

An arrangement similar to English Premier League futbol? Underperforming/drawing teams are relegated outside the privileged 64?

Yep. Remember, the unequal revenue split in the Big 12 was that everyone got a chunk but the schools who generated the most revenue by being on tv the most got more money. It was an arrangement that rewarded schools the invested in facilitles, got the best recruits and fielded the better teams (this was all fine with aggy until they quite investing in the facilities, hired coaches on the cheap and couldn't keep up with UT and OU. When that happened, they realized they weren't going to be receiving an oversized, unequal share and then they demanded the only fair method was equal revenue sharing).

If conference networks are paid on a demand basis and not on a per cable system subscriber basis, conference networks are not going to make money. To generate revenues, restructuring will have to happen. I can see a premier division with its own tv package showing 6 division games and the schools marketing the 6 non-division games individually or in groups and t premier division playoff. In this system, traditional rivalries can be maintained and and anti-trust problems are avoided because in theory every team has a shot to get moved up and to compete for the championship. Bigger schools better monetize the value of their rights and smaller schools more often play similar schools so the games are more competitive and will gain more attention (and revenue). We also get away from the 80-3 scores of crap games where the lack of a playoff encourages teams to avoid scheduling quality opponents OOC.

Edited by Randolph Duke

Good God Randolph Duke put away the crack pipe for a little bit. Have you been pleased with 1 top ten Directors cup finish in the last 4 years by UT athletics? I know no alumni that is pleased with this.

What the fu@k is a Director's Cup? I have never heard of a recruit wanting to play for a given school because it game him a better shot of winning a Director's Cup. Is the Director's Cup some award the aggys made up so they could award themselves something to fill their empty trophy cases?

Edited by Randolph Duke

What the fu@k is a Director's Cup? I have never heard of a recruit wanting to play for a given school because it game him a better shot of winning a Director's Cup. Is the Director's Cup some award the aggys made up so they could award themselves something to fill their empty trophy cases?

That just shows your ignorance on two fronts. Directors Cup ranks all NCAA school's athletic programs both men and women. Stanford has won 19 straight.

That just shows your ignorance on two fronts. Directors Cup ranks all NCAA school's athletic programs both men and women. Stanford has won 19 straight.

And the fact you had no clue I was jacking you around shows your ignorance.

The Director's Cup awards a school points for a national championship regardless of the sport. Last year, North Dakota State got the same points for winning hockey as Alabama did for winning football. That alone indicates its stupidity.

The model Deloss brought to UT was that we don't compete in sports we can win championships in. We play 7 men's and 10 women's sports. Stanford competes in probably twice that many sports. They want every student to be a student athlete, as do real military academies, ND and a few other.

At Texas we don't give a crap about sports like meat judging. Thatis for schools who compete against North Dakota State. No UT alum has evber complained about our showing in the Director's Cup. We care about championships. REAL championships, not fake ones we claim from when the Wright brothers were still building planes.

UT was top 10 from '01-'08 in the directors cup and it was broadcast on every UT internet site including the Daily Texan and the SID. Meat judging does not equal basketball, track and field, baseball. Someone would have to be delusional to think otherwise and at a minimal never played competitive athletics.

UT was top 10 from '01-'08 in the directors cup and it was broadcast on every UT internet site including the Daily Texan and the SID. Meat judging does not equal basketball, track and field, baseball. Someone would have to be delusional to think otherwise and at a minimal never played competitive athletics.

I have never heard of an athlete who signed with a school because they wanted to compete for a Director's Cup. I have never known any athletes from competing schools who years later talked about where their schools finished in the Director's Cup. I have never seen a coach's contract that offered an incentive bonus for Director's Cup points. I have never seen ESPN mention a word about Director's Cup standings. I have never seen a SI cover on the Direcor's Cup winner. I have never met a fan who gave a crap about where their school was during the year in the Director's Cup standings. No one cares about the Director's Cup. We care about national championships. End of story.

Edited by Randolph Duke

There is a big difference with those other schools and it is more than because this is Texas.

But ultimately, The SEC would not veto Texas because they are the flagship university of the state and that brings the most power, clout and resources from the state house. Texas brings things to the table that A&M cant because of its position as the Flagship university of Texas. The other schools (Clemson, FSU, Ga Tech) are not flagships and play second fiddle to the flagship in the state. While Ga-Tech may be a great academic school, they are a different animal than UGA and therefore, are not treated the same.

• 1 month later...

Didnt want to start a new thread for this

Athlon 2014 picks aggie 5th in the SEC West

Just ahead of Miss St.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-sec-football-predictions-2014

5. Texas A&M

With the Aggies recruiting at a high level, Kevin Sumlin’s team will be back in the mix for a SEC title in the next few years. But with Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans declaring for the NFL Draft, Texas A&M is due to take a step back in the win column in 2014. Who replaces Manziel is a huge question mark, but again, there’s talent in place. Kyle Allen and Kenny Hill will push senior Matt Joeckel for the starting spot. Allen is regarded as one of the top prospects in the 2014 signing class. Even with Evans leaving and tackle Jake Matthews expiring his eligibility, the winner of the quarterback battle will have a strong supporting cast. Regardless of how well the offense performs, Texas A&M has to find answers on defense. The Aggies allowed 499.1 yards and 36.5 points per game in eight SEC contests. Youth and inexperience factored prominently into the struggles, so another offseason under coordinator Mark Snyder should help this unit eliminate some of the mistakes. And there’s plenty of help on the way from one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

Aggy wouldn't want Texas in, and other schools that have stated to do better in terms of recruiting in Texas would not want The University of Texas in the conference. You guys say what going to the SEC did for Aggy's recruiting....imagine what it would do for Texas. That and the money issue. Texas isn't sharing LHN w anyone other than it's owner ESPN. The SEC now has it's own network. Culturally Texas does not belong in the SEC, I am not too sure that Aggy belongs there either. AM, as much as we get after them, is a pretty good school. The SEC is about making revenue from football...I don't like some of their practices, most notably the practice of over signing. It happens everywhere, but nowhere near as much as it does in the SEC. That conf is shady business and I for one would rather stay away from it. Joining the SEC just to piss of Aggy isn't enough of a reason to me. The PAC 12 is the best fit for all sports at UT, but the time difference would be horrid. I think that joining the ACC may be an interesting fit. With teams like FSU, Clemson, and a down Miami team, Texas would have enough competition in all sports. I also wouldn't mind giving the Big 12 a face lift by adding FSU and Clemson, not likely esp after FSu has won a title.

So, in the last 32 years (1980 to now), the SEC has won 12 NCs, with the last 7 in a row.

Everything is cyclical. They won't make it to an even 10. The traditionally strong powers will be back and some may already be back (FSU, Ohio State, etc).

Oregon and Stanford are knocking on ther door, Texas will win again with a new coach, Penn State will rebound some, Nebraska can compete again with anyone other than Pelini, Clemson and Oklahoma can be contenders, as possibly Miami if Golden sticks around.

The SEC is great right now. But they won't maintain this current dominance forever, probably even for the next 3 years. Too many good coaches out there right now, and not all in the SEC.

2012 Alabama BCS

2011 Alabama BCS

2010 Auburn BCS

2009 Alabama BCS

2008 Florida BCS

2007 Louisiana State BCS

2006 Florida BCS

2005 Texas BCS

2004 Southern California BCS

2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA

2002 Ohio State BCS

2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS

2000 Oklahoma BCS

1999 Florida State BCS

1998 Tennessee BCS

1997 Michigan, Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN

1996 Florida AP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN

1995 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1994 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1993 Florida St. AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1992 Alabama AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1991 Washington, Miami (Fla.) FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP

1990 Colorado, Georgia Tech FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI

1989 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1988 Notre Dame AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1987 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1986 Penn St. AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1985 Oklahoma AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1984 Brigham Young AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1983 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1982 Penn St. AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

1981 Clemson AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

1980 Georgia

The SEC will not continue to dominate football national titles as it has this century, but the southeast and the 2 conferences associated with it may dominate the rest of the country. That is the football reason we Domers made the deal with the ACC. It makes ND an honorary southeastern school for football recruiting. That is the final piece of the puzzle for us to get back to winning national titles.

And the fact you had no clue I was jacking you around shows your ignorance.

The Director's Cup awards a school points for a national championship regardless of the sport. Last year, North Dakota State got the same points for winning hockey as Alabama did for winning football. That alone indicates its stupidity.

The model Deloss brought to UT was that we don't compete in sports we can win championships in. We play 7 men's and 10 women's sports. Stanford competes in probably twice that many sports. They want every student to be a student athlete, as do real military academies, ND and a few other.

At Texas we don't give a crap about sports like meat judging. Thatis for schools who compete against North Dakota State. No UT alum has evber complained about our showing in the Director's Cup. We care about championships. REAL championships, not fake ones we claim from when the Wright brothers were still building planes.

What I find funny about this post and your others along this line is that you sound exactly like a 'mouth breather' from the SEC who cares about, in order, football, spring football, football signing day, basketball, baseball, and nothing else. The average dolt from Mississippi State or LSU or Arkansas or Auburn says exactly the same.