Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Texas A&M president: We'll play Texas 'anytime, anywhere'

bbdude

• Administrators

This site is affiliated with Fox Sports and Fox has given us the blessing to reproduce any articles for the purpose of our users, so here you go.......

LOUIS OJEDA JR. |

Published: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 10:57am

spacer.gif

812263.png

Thanksgiving is around the corner, but there will be no Texas vs. Texas A&M game for the second year in a row.

The century-old rivalry ended in 2011 when the Aggies decided to move from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference.

Texas hasn't shown any interest in resuming the series in the near future, but Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin has said publicly several times the past few years that the Aggies want to continue the rivalry.

"I said it two years ago and I meant it then," he told the San Antonio Express this week. "There's no reason why we shouldn't play each other, if we want to. I think they (Texas) will at some point in time feel like it’s the right thing to do, as well, and we'll get there."

Loftin says although other Texas A&M administrators are not pushing to play the Longhorns anymore, he is still passionate about it.

"I've always said 'anytime, anywhere,'" he said.

Texas A&M has had more success on the football field since joining the SEC, but Texas owns the bragging rights with a 27-25 upset in College Station on a last-second field goal in the final meeting.

The only opportunity right now for the Aggies to get revenge is if the two teams meet in a bowl game.

"We hope to play them again in a BCS or playoff game at some point," Texas A&M senior associate athletic director Jason Cook told the San Antonio Express.

But with a new athletic director taking over for Texas, the Longhorns could change their minds about playing the Aggies.

Since the end of the series, Texas has been rotating between TCU and Texas Tech as its annual Thanksgiving Day game.

Last year, before the bowl games on Gameday I posted a thread on hornfans within minutes of a conversation on air. I posted that the talking heads and I can't remember who it was, said that A&M "and the SEC" would decline an offer in the Cotton Bowl to play Texas.

Look, I know that sounds ridiculous in light of the way the teams were going at the time but it happened. Even the A&M resident posters on hornfans at the time were sorta confused by the comment. I did not misunderstand or mishear the conversation and I will go see if I can find that thread on hornfans but it definitely happened.

• Administrators
Last year, before the bowl games on Gameday I posted a thread on hornfans within minutes of a conversation on air. I posted that the talking heads and I can't remember who it was, said that A&M "and the SEC" would decline an offer in the Cotton Bowl to play Texas.

Look, I know that sounds ridiculous in light of the way the teams were going at the time but it happened. Even the A&M resident posters on hornfans at the time were sorta confused by the comment. I did not misunderstand or mishear the conversation and I will go see if I can find that thread on hornfans but it definitely happened.

See if you can locate it bro.

And join us in the chat up top. Hit your refresh button.

The original thread which was followed by debate including aggy's who were a bit miffed at the comment as well:

Trusted Insider

(500+ posts)

12/01/12 02:40 PM

"The SEC and Texas A&M have made it very clear...

Edit post Reply to this post

that they don't want any part of Texas in the Cotton Bowl".

Quote by one of the commentators prior to Alabama - Georgia kickoff. Hmm. Sorta funny. I don't doubt it's true and why would they make it up? They even got a bit specific about how the SEC would switch things up to ensure this doesn't happen. You gotta love how "the SEC" is already running their show for them. So pathetic.

"I agree that you think that" - Aaron P. Simpson

I wrote a piece for the site last week partially on this subject. Have You Heard the Latest Aggy Joke? - Horn Sports - Texas Longhorns football, basketball and baseball - Horn Sports – Texas Longhorns football, basketball and baseball

Aggy is running a business with over $100 million revenues in support of which they are making an almost half a billion dollar capital expenditure for a new stadium. Big numbers. Managed by amateurs.

Texas names a new Athletic Director and before Steve Patterson even has contract in place, aggy is already buzzing with excitement about possibly getting to schedule UT again. Their head of marketing, Jason Cook, says no. The university president says yet. Tony Buzbee, their hotshot regent is on record saying no. Who is speaking for their university? Who is deciding whether scheduling UT is or isn't in the best interests of the university and either making sure it does or doesn't happen? How more aggy can these morons get? You are running a $100,000,000+ business and you have fifteen spokespeople, every one of them with a different position on a seemingly important marketing decision.

If aggy wants to act like a grown up program, they need to decide how they want to position their product in their main marketplace, the state of Texas. First of all, they need to get the "branch of UT/little brother"thing behind them and establish a truly independent brand. They need to have ONE person be responsible for positioning the school's athletic product in the Texas marketplace. Their AD should set the schedules. Their marketing person should offer input why scheduling certain teams would be good or bad. The president of the university should worry about academics and hold the AD accountable. The regents should shut the fu@k up and stay out of scheduling matters.

Those idiots over in farmville don't have a clue whether playing UT would be good or bad. Figure your sh!t out, you stupid snotpickers. Once you have done that, give us a call and we will talk.

Edited by Randolph Duke

"The SEC and Texas A&M have made it very clear that they don't want any part of Texas in the Cotton Bowl"

That was a direct quote. And they did go on to say that things would be shuffled. I'm glad I found it and referenced before the Alabama - Georgia game because someone with more know how can probably find it.

Now later on the aggy's came back with how they destroyed OU to and we got smoked to which I replied that Ole Miss was our easiest game of the year and they had to claw one out at the last second to come away with a W.

This site is affiliated with Fox Sports and Fox has given us the blessing to reproduce any articles for the purpose of our users, so here you go.......

LOUIS OJEDA JR. |

Published: Thursday, November 21, 2013, 10:57am

spacer.gif

812263.png

Thanksgiving is around the corner, but there will be no Texas vs. Texas A&M game for the second year in a row.

The century-old rivalry ended in 2011 when the Aggies decided to move from the Big 12 to the Southeastern Conference.

Texas hasn't shown any interest in resuming the series in the near future, but Texas A&M president R. Bowen Loftin has said publicly several times the past few years that the Aggies want to continue the rivalry.

"I said it two years ago and I meant it then," he told the San Antonio Express this week. "There's no reason why we shouldn't play each other, if we want to. I think they (Texas) will at some point in time feel like it’s the right thing to do, as well, and we'll get there."

Loftin says although other Texas A&M administrators are not pushing to play the Longhorns anymore, he is still passionate about it.

"I've always said 'anytime, anywhere,'" he said.

Texas A&M has had more success on the football field since joining the SEC, but Texas owns the bragging rights with a 27-25 upset in College Station on a last-second field goal in the final meeting.

The only opportunity right now for the Aggies to get revenge is if the two teams meet in a bowl game.

"We hope to play them again in a BCS or playoff game at some point," Texas A&M senior associate athletic director Jason Cook told the San Antonio Express.

But with a new athletic director taking over for Texas, the Longhorns could change their minds about playing the Aggies.

Since the end of the series, Texas has been rotating between TCU and Texas Tech as its annual Thanksgiving Day game.

What a bunch of ass wipes excuse me for saying that. That kind of talk shows the difference between a quality university and a bo dunk college like a&m Those folks need to understand they are not our big game. It OU and has been for a long time. We don't see the aggies in the same light that they see Texas. Even though Perry tried to bring Texas down The University Of Texas is the state Flagship College get over it. They still run around with the cut off horns on there cars.

I thought the reason for the move to the SEC was to get away from big brother well the aggies need to move on Texas sure as hell has. My friends y'all have a great weekend.

Another stark difference. Our president is not more concerned with football than he is academics. They're turning into a perfect SEC school. They've always been a glorified highschool with all of their "spirit" and "traditions" but they're taking it to a whole new level.

I think our brass should reply, "okay, every Thanksgiving in Austin" and see how "any place, any time" holds up then.

Ag's can keep wanting, No thanks, We're fine.

Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They need a counterbalance in order to have any identity at all. It used to be the world's largest and most documented case of penis envy and now it's sucking off Alabana and the SEC. If you talk to an aggy today, they speak firstly about their conference and then about themselves. Their collective need to associate themselves with others is mind boggling. You can't even talk about our teams individually because they dive head first into their favorite go-to, "SEC...".

So run along little aggy, just like Sir Robin, you bravely ran away.

When they left the Big 12, their BCS accomplishments trailed behind those of Kansas. Since going to the SEC, they are 1-4 against top ranked conference foes. This year, they are 1-2 in teams ranked in the top 30. They are playing what Jeff Sagarin ranks the weakest schedule of any of the 14 SEC teams and are fighting today for 4th in their division. Let that sink in.

One of the biggest signs of rot inside Bellmont is that against the reality of what little aggy has accomplished, the perception is allowed to exist that aggy is an impressive program. It would be an incredible loss for the program if we bring in someone like Saban and all we have to manage the image of the program is Nick Voinis.

The subject of renewing the aggy series should have been put to rest long ago and on our terms, yet we still have articles like this latest one.

Edited by Randolph Duke

The subject of renewing the aggy series should have been put to rest long ago and on our terms, yet we still have articles like this latest one.

Yup, it was 2 years ago, 27-25. As if overwhelming series scoreboard isn't enough, eternal scoreboard from that win should have quieted them. It didn't. More evidence of their insanity.

Aggy evidently is going to forge a new tradition by playing LSU on Thanksgiving. While we look forward to the LSU fans starting a new tradition of driving 7 hours, fighting for a hotel room in College Station and Michelin 3-star restaurants in farmville that anyone would choose over traditional Louisiana holiday meals, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't let the aggys know about the existing traditions of the Bayou State over Thanksgiving weekend.

In trying to force a traditional game on Thanksgiving Day with LSU, a team they haven't defeated since before Johnny Manziel was even born, the ags who want to stay in New Orleans for the weekend have no clue that is the same weekend as the annual Bayou Classic between Grambling and Southern (a far more important tradition in that part of the world than any game between LSU and aggy).

Picture the spectacle of that aggys on Bourbon St when the assembled fan bases of Grambling and Southern bring their party to town. Maybe the aggy band can even perform along with the bands from the other two schools at half time. What a wonderful new tradition for the aggys. Its so good to know they have all this figured out.