Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

$450 Million Aggy Stadium: Should Longhorn Nation Be Concerned?

monarch

...welcome to the new 450 million (lb) gorilla within the state of texas...

aggy, is now touting their newly proposed stadium as the "new premier stadium facility in the United States"... and with the price tag of ($450 million dollars) I strongly suggest that it clearly could be. We all aware, that aggy shall indeed use their new "crown jewel" of Texas as a direct recruiting source. And as "glamour happy" as today's recruits are, they just may become quite succesful... especially if they should land a new and capable coach (should Sumlin depart)..

Does anyone of our many "scholars" possess any insight as to how Texas may counter this significant threat? DKR, for all of it's magnificence, glory, along with it's storied past / traditions... is now beginning to look a bit "odd" in lieu of the SEZ. It just seems quite "incomplete" and haphazard.

Come on gents, we all know that "aggy" would bash us mercillesly should we allow for them to reign supreme stadium wise.... this could become our ultimate nightmare. Also, why on earth is this new stadium costing so much? I could see if they were beginning from scratch, but they are basically lowering the stadium bowl, and adding new essential structures around it... why so very expensive? For they could very well build a completely new stadium as per the aforementioned price tag. Baylor is...

I don't think we can easily ignore this. If it was just A&M making these improvements, I'd say "move along folks". But now it's both A&M and Baylor who are making some serious headway Stadium wise. Texas will always be a powerhouse but we don't want to be left behind in the Stadium race. I'm not saying we need a new Stadium but I think everyone knows deep inside that DKR is in need of some major renovation.

...welcome to the new 450 million (lb) gorilla within the state of texas...

aggy, is now touting their newly proposed stadium as the "new premier stadium facility in the United States"... and with the price tag of ($450 million dollars) I strongly suggest that it clearly could be. We all aware, that aggy shall indeed use their new "crown jewel" of Texas as a direct recruiting source. And as "glamour happy" as today's recruits are, they just may become quite succesful... especially if they should land a new and capable coach (should Sumlin depart)..

Does anyone of our many "scholars" possess any insight as to how Texas may counter this significant threat? DKR, for all of it's magnificence, glory, along with it's storied past / traditions... is now beginning to look a bit "odd" in lieu of the SEZ. It just seems quite "incomplete" and haphazard.

Come on gents, we all know that "aggy" would bash us mercillesly should we allow for them to reign supreme stadium wise.... this could become our ultimate nightmare. Also, why on earth is this new stadium costing so much? I could see if they were beginning from scratch, but they are basically lowering the stadium bowl, and adding new essential structures around it... why so very expensive? For they could very well build a completely new stadium as per the aforementioned price tag. Baylor is...

Well, we'll have to wait till it's up and running. For 450 million, they better hire a top-notch architect. IF A&M pulls it off, it can be a historical reversal of roles - the aggies will have a kick-ass stadium and a kick-ass football team while the horns are left with an ugly old stadium with nightmarish parking and a third-rate football team under a third-tier "head coach"

Edited by austinite

Why should we honestly care?seriously?

Kyle was built the same year as the Big House in Ann Arbor. The main difference between the Big House and Kyle is that aggy has been so strapped for cash in their athletic dept that they haven't been able to put any money into maintaining the stadium and it has become a fire hazard as well as woefully substandard in many aspects.

Michigan put $250mil in their stadium a few years ago to add 2,600 seats and lights for night games. We put $360 mil into DKR over the past 15 years (aggy has put $35 mil into Kyle in the past 15 years).

At the end of the day, stadiums like the Big House cost a lot but have history. Stadiums like DRK are every bit as nice as what aggy will build at $100 million less cost. What's the big deal with what aggy is building?

The problem aggy has created (other than paying for the stadium) is they are building the stadium and deferring decisions on parking. As of today, they have no plan in place to replace parking being removed and they have no plan to accomodate the extra 20,000 fans (not to mention increased demand for tailgaiting).

Aggy will aggy thie project up. Somehow, they will screw this up. Count on it. The construction cameras are already mockingly being called "first responder cams."

In short, no. We shouldn't be worried about their new stadium any more than we were worried about Kyle Field. Its still in a shithole town. Aggy is now riding a program record consecutive sellout streak of 23 games. They didn't fill their old stadium and they won't fill their new one. (Do the math, 82,000 with 30,000 students means 52,000 alumni and general sales that they have struggled with. When that number becomes 72,000 are they going to see a 40% increase in demand? Nope).

Ignore them. They are still aggys. The only thing we have to worry about is whether our tax dollars are going to be used to bail out the project once it gets all fu@ked up.

The truth is that aggy believes their own phony SEC hype. Kyle Field was 1/3 empty and the aggy athletic department was broke before the move to the SEC. They caught lightening in a bottle with Manziel for two years and did not win a championship or go to a BCS game yet they are ready to invest $450 million in a monument to their delusions of grandeur. Their "recruiting success" has not been proven on the field yet and will fade to the norm as soon as UT gets its act together and replaces Mack. Manziel and Sumlin will be gone after this season and aggy will be back to being 6-6 aggy in a conference that they insist is much tougher than the Big 12. Little aggys do not trek to College Station to watch aggys lose games and a shiny new stadium will not change that reality.

Only mindless aggy logic could believe that investing $450 million in bricks and mortar for a stadium that will be half empty when it is complete. There is no way that aggy can spend enough money on a stadium to overcome the flawed loser culture that is aggy.

Here is an article on the problem of declining attendance at SEC football games.

Schools' Greed Damaging The Future Of College Football « MrSEC MrSEC

Now, when you read this, remember that Bryan/College Station has a population of 200,000 (including students and faculty) and is projected to grow to 260,000 by 2030. Austin/ Round Rock, the largest city in the nation with out a pro sports franchise to compete for sports entertainment dollars, has a population of 1.75million and is projected to grow to 2.75 million by 2030. Which city do you think needs a stadium of 100,000 and which city doesn't? Remember, the stadium of 100,000 in farmville doesn't come with enough extra hotel rooms or restaurants to handle the additional 20,000 fans because the local economy isn't strong enough to support them during the year.

little brother will always be little brother.

I'm finishing up my article on the whole little brother angle for the site. It should be ready in a day or two. Long story short - in the state constitution the ag school (aggy) is constituted as a branch of the University of Texas. In 1915 and 1919, there were proposed amendments to the constitution that would have split the two. they were both voted down. The leg said "screw it" and in 1925, while acknowledging the ag school was a branch of the University, the leg simply stated the governance of the ag college would be handed by a Board of Directors. To this day, nothing has ever been done to separate the two schools. Legally, TAMU is still a branch of the University of Texas. I have a retired governmental atty from one of the big firms in Dallas helping me on this. We are going to try to push for a constitutional amendment to be on the ballot in 2015 to finally split the two schools.

Here is an article on the problem of declining attendance at SEC football games.

Schools' Greed Damaging The Future Of College Football « MrSEC MrSEC

Now, when you read this, remember that Bryan/College Station has a population of 200,000 (including students and faculty) and is projected to grow to 260,000 by 2030. Austin/ Round Rock, the largest city in the nation with out a pro sports franchise to compete for sports entertainment dollars, has a population of 1.75million and is projected to grow to 2.75 million by 2030. Which city do you think needs a stadium of 100,000 and which city doesn't? Remember, the stadium of 100,000 in farmville doesn't come with enough extra hotel rooms or restaurants to handle the additional 20,000 fans because the local economy isn't strong enough to support them during the year.

This, this, THIS!

Excellent post. They have been wanting to upgrade for a long time. Recent success (winning, SEC, heisman, etc.) has led the brass to ride this wave to stroke donors/boosters to write checks. It is what it is, you can't blame them, but this is nothing to worry about. Their decision is based on emotion. The reality is in the demographics and economics.

It'll always be College Station. They'll always be aggy.

I'm finishing up my article on the whole little brother angle for the site. It should be ready in a day or two. Long story short - in the state constitution the ag school (aggy) is constituted as a branch of the University of Texas. In 1915 and 1919, there were proposed amendments to the constitution that would have split the two. they were both voted down. The leg said "screw it" and in 1925, while acknowledging the ag school was a branch of the University, the leg simply stated the governance of the ag college would be handed by a Board of Directors. To this day, nothing has ever been done to separate the two schools. Legally, TAMU is still a branch of the University of Texas. I have a retired governmental atty from one of the big firms in Dallas helping me on this. We are going to try to push for a constitutional amendment to be on the ballot in 2015 to finally split the two schools.

...oh my, Randolph Duke, this political task, shall be quite the undertaking. Not to mention provocative / entertaining. carpe diem!

Damn you are obsessed with this topic!

Damn you are obsessed with this topic!

Looking back and either substantiating or debunking various aspects of our sports history is a lot of fun for me. It started as just wondering the actual details of a given story and then being curious when certain things just didn't add up. I don't know if you have read my debunking of the aggy 12th Man story or my story about Bevo. Randolph Duke, Author at Horn Sports - Texas Longhorns football, basketball and baseball - Horn Sports – Texas Longhorns football, basketball and baseball

Its not obsessed. More like interested in sports history and taking a detour to learn just how much of the aggy "traditions" are simply made up stories lacking a factual basis. A lot of it borders on outright dishonesty. I can't think of another institution of higher learning that has simply lied about so much of its past. Notre Dame is bad. Aggy is far worse.

To what end? What are you trying to accomplish? You could say the same about the Bible, Koran, constitution construction, monarchy. You are laughed off of shaggy for spewing this same stuff over there and I was hoping you would dial it back on this site. Why do we care about a former rival? If you want to do research do it on OU or Tech.

To what end? What are you trying to accomplish? You could say the same about the Bible, Koran, constitution construction, monarchy. You are laughed off of shaggy for spewing this same stuff over there and I was hoping you would dial it back on this site. Why do we care about a former rival? If you want to do research do it on OU or Tech.

LOL! I'm laughed off shaggy?!? You must be kidding me. Hardly. Shaggy doesn't do feature articles. Over here I can post articles and go into subjects in depth.

To what end? Because living in ignorance isn't for everyone. Take the 12th Man. It was a radio play developed in 1939 that is loosely based on the events of a football game in 1922. You morons claim to be an elite university yet almost every aggy swears the radio play version to be the gospel truth. You have a statue of the guy outside the stadium. Your school filed false statements under oath with the federal government to get a trademark and then have used the fraudulently derived trademark to demand payment from other businesses. How is that not amazing? Education is supposed to be about finding the truth. Constitutionally you are still a branch of the University of Texas and yet your school claims to be the oldest public university in Texas. You have barely been a university for 50 years. Where is the truth in that? Dishonesty is at the core of your university, your traditions and your administration. You have lied about your school's most sacred tradition. That doesn't bother you in the least?

Tech and OU don't lie about their traditions or about the history of their school. I have done plenty of research about OU. I just didn't get time to put my OU/UT game piece up before the game this year. I will put it up next year.

I guess its a badge of honor for us over here that we have now started to get aggy trolls coming over. Welcome. Now, run back over to texags and tell everyone I said mean things about your school. Hurry up. They are waiting.

Edited by Randolph Duke

Duke-

Do your thing man. Many on here appreciate good reads. And yes, aggy is very different than any other school, so yes, let's talk about them! It seems like there are some who are worried about the rising of aggy (I am) and it is nice to be reminded that the makeup/cover may look different, but deep down...it's aggy.

I appreciate your insight and change of pace. Keep it up and Hook 'em!

LOL! I'm laughed off shaggy?!? You must be kidding me. Hardly. Shaggy doesn't do feature articles. Over here I can post articles and go into subjects in depth.

To what end? Because living in ignorance isn't for everyone. Take the 12th Man. It was a radio play developed in 1939 that is loosely based on the events of a football game in 1922. You morons claim to be an elite university yet almost every aggy swears the radio play version to be the gospel truth. You have a statue of the guy outside the stadium. Your school filed false statements under oath with the federal government to get a trademark and then have used the fraudulently derived trademark to demand payment from other businesses. How is that not amazing? Education is supposed to be about finding the truth. Constitutionally you are still a branch of the University of Texas and yet your school claims to be the oldest public university in Texas. You have barely been a university for 50 years. Where is the truth in that? Dishonesty is at the core of your university, your traditions and your administration. You have lied about your school's most sacred tradition. That doesn't bother you in the least?

Tech and OU don't lie about their traditions or about the history of their school. I have done plenty of research about OU. I just didn't get time to put my OU/UT game piece up before the game this year. I will put it up next year.

I guess its a badge of honor for us over here that we have now started to get aggy trolls coming over. Welcome. Now, run back over to texags and tell everyone I said mean things about your school. Hurry up. They are waiting.

MY traditions, hardly. Again so what if this is true. You think a tool that gets laughed off of shaggy and is the butt of the internet is going to change anything? Why don't you research Blarney Stone at Tech? Or the spoon holder at OU? Oh and good try I have my executive MBA from UT.

MY traditions, hardly. Again so what if this is true. You think a tool that gets laughed off of shaggy and is the butt of the internet is going to change anything? Why don't you research Blarney Stone at Tech? Or the spoon holder at OU? Oh and good try I have my executive MBA from UT.

Dude, what's your problem? Troubles at home? Have a cold one and chill.

Duke, I appreciate your takes. Some of us are surrounded by aggy and their insane inanities. They're not going away any time soon.

Hook 'em.

Duke-

Do your thing man. Many on here appreciate good reads. And yes, aggy is very different than any other school, so yes, let's talk about them! It seems like there are some who are worried about the rising of aggy (I am) and it is nice to be reminded that the makeup/cover may look different, but deep down...it's aggy.

I appreciate your insight and change of pace. Keep it up and Hook 'em!

Thanks. I'm laughing at our new aggy troll. Its like finding an ant. He is now heading back to tell the other ants he has discovered another site where mean things are said about aggys and they have to come over here, shout and scream that they are great and silence the infidels.

I was talking with Jim Nicar who was historian for Texas Exes for over 20 years about what it was like when he first debunked the story of Bevo getting his name after the aggy branding raid. Even people inside the UT athletics program (one who I hope will soon be unemployed) didn't believe his research. People have an impression about aggy that is heavily influenced by aggy making sh!t up and then doing as the ags are doing just now - trying to get people to quit questioning whether they are telling the truth and personally attacking anyone who doesn't tell the aggy version of the story.

I'm not worried about aggy because I understand a bit more about aggy than other people do. Part of what I am doing with the research pieces is to explain to people that most of what aggy comes up with isn't true. I was stunned when I came up with what I did when I did the 12th Man piece. Eventually that research will get passed around more and more. Why is anyone concerned about a school that has lied for years about its most cherished tradition? Only about 40% of their corps of cadets are actual ROTC students. The rest are just playing dress-up. These are not aspects of a great institution.

In the not too distant future we will see the new Kyle Field about 1/3 empty for a game against some FCS program when aggy is having a 6-6 season and we will laugh at the thought that people actually believed the crap aggy was selling. The mighty aggy juggernaut steamrolling UT with facilities upgrades is as much a bunch of crap as is their fake story about the 12th Man.

Now, just wait until the ants show up. It should happen any day now.

The butt of the internet. 2.4 Billion users (World Internet Users Statistics Usage and World Population Stats) and I personally am the butt of the internet. Fascinating perspective you have, my little aggy friend.

What if it is true? Interesting question. Ever heard of the word "integrity?" As an institution of higher education, don't you think there is some obligation to seek the truth? The 12th Man story is a good fairy tale and you are entitled to it, but actually filing false statements under oath with the federal government and then using the trademark derived from that to shake down businesses for substantial sums of money is a serious accusation and yes, I am making it. Last I noticed Tech or OU haven't done anything quite as disturbing.

I'm glad you got your executive MBA from UT. I hope you enjoyed the experience.

And keep telling yourself I got laughed off Shaggy. I post over there whenever I feel like it. The only people who ever give me grief are aggy trolls. I just have more fun posting over here.