Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If Mack Brown is head coach on August 30, 2014

Lord Vader

I would pretty much tune out for the season, and that's coming from someone who's had his heart soar and be broken for over 40 years with UT football. In other words, my passion runs deep. But Mack returning would maximize apathy beyond anything I could hope for.

I'd recognize that he only wanted back so he could beat DKR's win record, which I think would be wholly unjust in light of the overall significantly underachieving tenure Mack's had.

I have not been to a home game in years since I've lived in West Monroe. I was able to make it to the game at Ole Miss last year and my wife has been nearly begging me to get to a game in Austin. This season's schedule wasn't very conducive to travelling for us so we were going to plan on next season being the year we go. If Mack Brown is still our coach next season I will not attend any games. Just will not happen. I know my one game, two ticket experience will not affect anything monetarily, but that's me taking a stand.

The program needs a change. No question about it. Personally I see at least two more losses this season. But if Mack pulls a rabbit out of his hat, runs the table and goes to a BCS bowl, this team will look very strong going into next season. The fans will drink the kool aid and be optimistic about 2014 and will fill the stands until another disaster prevails. I used to think Mack would still agree to ride off into the sunset but now I doubt it. Guess we will see how it plays out.

i've missed about a half-dozen home games in 30 years. so yeah, Lord willing, i'll be there.

I believe that's partly why Mack Brown managed to stay on for so long - fans who have failed to actively demand change despite Mack Brown's gross incompetence, which many fans probably don't even recognize after so many years.

The answer is NO!!!!

Changes are already going down!

If the big donors decide they are going to run the program, they will pick the head coach and then we end up with the second, third, fourth or fifth choice as head coach and things don't work out, the program is going tobe in an enormous mess.

If the AD has no accountability for how well the HC is doing, what happens? The the big donors hire the coach, they have to fire him if it doesn't work out. I would much rather see Mack stay for another year and let Patterson run the program then see 8 big donors fight each other and the AD regarding who should be hired or fired.

If Powers and Patterson don't want to hire personnel on the UT Austin athletics payroll, we need to get rid of them and find leadership that does. If the AD isn't capable of hiring the head football coach, why are we even hiring him?

The program needs a change. No question about it. But, I'm a University of Texas fan. I will tailgate all day long before the game, go to the game and cheer for the team and The University. I've missed 3 home games since my 1st home game (Boston College 1977) my freshman year.

I believe that's partly why Mack Brown managed to stay on for so long - fans who have failed to actively demand change despite Mack Brown's gross incompetence, which many fans probably don't even recognize after so many years.
ahhh, the 'actively demand change' post. what would you propose i should have done?

i like going to the games. liked it thru akers, david mc, j/mac and mack brown. some good times, some great times and some shitty times. part of the deal, but i'm not dumping the tix i've had for years to make some futile protest only to scramble back in when things turn around.

different strokes, i suppose.

Edited by streettopeschel

Mack or no Mack, I'll be a die-hard Longhorn and will go to whatever games I'm able to make and will watch every game. That said, if Mack is still here I'll start the season believing that we have the talent to win another MNC. After the first loss I'll remember that we don't have the coaching to win the MNC and will set my sights on the Big XII Championship and a BCS bowl. After the second loss and the firing of a coordinator I'll still believe that the Big XII championship and a BCS bowl are possible. After Big Game bob gets a little revenge for this year's upset I'll start looking for the Saban to Texas smoke.

"Gross incompetence" is an absurd accusation to make against Mack. In the BCS era, no other coach has matched his 9 straight 10 win seasons, he made it to two MNC games and barely missed out on a third, 14 of 15 winning seasons, a bowl game every year but one. He has had some glaring failures, but not even close to gross incompetence.

I think he needs to go because the game has passed him by. His inability to objectively evaluate Greg Davis or Manny Diaz make me question his judgment. He needs to go, but the worst mistake we could make is to hire a buddy of the big donors who can simply tell Patterson (his boss) to fu@k off whenever he feels like it because he doesn't answer to the AD, he answers to the big money donors.

The AD runs the athletic department and every employee has to answer to him. If the big donors think they are entitled to create a structure where the head football coach, a UT employee, isn't going to be accountable to UT officials, they are nuts.

I want Mack gone, but if he needs to stay to prevent total anarchy and lack of direct accountability in the football program, Mack absolutely needs to stay until Patterson replaces him.

Based on McPhaul's cryptic comments today, I'd like to think that maybe the Patterson hire is the one with the hatchet, since rumors are that Luck didn't want to have to be the hatchet man.

Here's hoping that Patterson comes in to his press conference, lays down the law and pulls Mack aside afterwards and says "Thanks for playing, coach. We have a nice desk gig at LHN if you want it. I've got some other guys on speed dial that I'm calling when we walk out of this room."

No , what Mack has been is occasionally great, usually good, often underachieving with the talent level and the Texas resources. At times clearly failing. Grossly incompetent would not be correct, not living up to our standard of excellence would be correct.

Edited by DocHorn