Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SG's observations of the KU game and other things..

Santa Gertrudis

Y'all

After 42 days since our last home game, what a BEAUTIFUL, sun-splashed day in Austin it was for football yesterday! Compare that to the games being played in East Lansing or State College- NO THANKS! On the flip-side, if I am Terry Saban and house-hunting in Austin during this time of the year, I am convinced Austin Texas is the place where my husband will be coaching football next season. These Chamber of Commerce Days for Austin sure isn't hurting our cause to get the Saban's to re-locate to Austin. I've been telling people for years, "God is a Longhorn Fan." Well, even the Good Lord is trying to help us make our case to the Sabans with the great weather we've had while Miss Terry has been (allegedly) house hunting.

I don't want to come off as "angry old man" but that team that we beat-up on yesterday was not a very good team. There's a reason they are 0-5 in Conference play and are 2-6 overall. If I am a Texas fan, I'm not really beating my chest and shouting, "We're back, so all of you folks that wanted Mack fired SUCK IT!" We were 5-2 and unranked yesterday prior to our game with KU. If getting blown out by 2 middle of the road teams and being unranked is your idea of success then perhaps you should aim higher? The road is about to get more difficult in the final weeks nevertheless, with our defense (and think about that statement for a minute!) we have a chance in every game. Ah, what might have been.. Oh well, on to observations:

1. If Jeff Madden is going to lead the team onto the field, he either needs to lose about 200 lbs so that the other guys don't have to slow down and run around his fat arse, or he needs to get the Hell outta the way and jog out with Mack Brown. Honest to God, I was watching that guy yesterday coming out of the tunnel and watching the traffic he was backing up in the tunnel for players having to slow up to run around him and it is ridiculous. Furthermore, and I've posted this more than a time or 2 already, but why that guy gets to lead the team on to the field when it is Bennie Wylie that the guys are sharing blood, sweat, & tears with is just hypocritical. Matter of fact, after having Madden help run this thing off into the ditch with his supervision of the S & C Program at Texas, it PERFECTLY symbolizes everything that this program is today.

2. I know it is very "en vogue" to trash the announcers but I personally like Ray Bentley as a color guy. Of course, after watching Dave Lapham for years and years my expectations for color analysts isn't very high.

3. Before the game, Mack was asked about what the difference is in this team since the beginning of the year. Mack's response was "we have a better identity than we had at the beginning of the year." Excuse me while I vent. Isn't the job of the Head Coach and Coaching Staff to GIVE the team its identity? Do you think for a minute that Nick Saban doesn't know what the identity of his team is prior to the season starting? How about Urban Meyer? Les Miles? Bob Stoops? See a trend here?

4. I liked seeing Kendall Sanders and Daje both back to receive the kick-offs. I also enjoy seeing Daje return punts. Damn, Homey can flat-out fly!

5. Speaking of Daje, as much as painful as it was to watch Case McCoy at QB yesterday, INT #1 was on Daje. Nevertheless, Daje gives us that burst on "any given play" to take it to the house that we have not had in recent seasons. Credit Major with getting the ball into the guy's hands as much as he has.

6. Ray Bentley said during KU's initial drive, "Texas is on its heals". How many times have we heard that over the past 4 seasons? And against lesser talented teams non-the-less. I can assure you, I've heard that cliche more than I EVER care to hear again.

7. Cedric Reed has turned into an ABSOLUTE BEAST at DE since Robinson has taken over as DC. Going into this season, we kept hearing about Jeffcoat but Reed is the guy that is taking it to a different level right now.

8. Our QB production is a good deal of the reason for our slow offensive start. How the University of Texas Football Program has fallen off so far and mismanaged the QB position to where Case McCoy is your starting QB is simply inexcusable. I know it's obvious but a QB should not have a delivery that looks like Dan Quiesenberry's or Dennis Eckersley's.

9. For those of you that can't understand why would would pay Nick Saban a ton of cash to come coach at Texas, perhaps you don't realize how important $ is to the LHN and is sustenance. The LHN needs viewers and advertisers for the LHN to continue to make sense for ESPN. An investment in Nicky would pay-off DRAMATICALLY for the LHN, ESPN, & of course the University of Texas. There is a reason Alabama's Chancellor came out and spoke about what a great financial investment Nick Saban is to the University of Alabama. It's because it's the truth! For those keeping track yesterday during the game, the LHN comprises about 85% of all of the commercials on the Network. Other sponsors were as follows:

Texas Stadium

Nissan

Winstar World Resorts (2 spots)

The Big 12

Cavenders/Wrangler (2 spots)

University Federal Credit Union (2 spots)

Matt's El Rancho

Title Max

Bud Light

The Lone Star Volleyball Tournament

Scholotzky's

Chevrolet (2 spots)

I am not a Network guy and don't claim to be one BUT I do understand business. And you can't run a business when all of your commercial air time is being spent on you promoting your own network. Hell, instead of promoting the LHN ON the LHN, how about promoting it on DIFFERENT Networks and Stations as well? Just a thought..

10. Our Defensive Line is really beginning to control the LOS in EVERY game we have played in recent weeks. See what happens when you quit out-smarting yourself and just let talent and technique win-out over scheme?

11. In contrast our DB's that are not named Diggs have an uncanny knack of getting beat and grabbing the receivers to prevent completions. I understand this concept but it is as if we are relying on that primarily as a way to defend the pass. I believe Duke Thomas got beat before half-time that turned into 3 points before the half. Had there been more time it could have been 7 points. And it wasn't just Thomas but Byndom and others as well. I will say this much, Mykelle Thompson doesn't like to hit but I'll give him credit, he tackles about 1000 times better than he did last season.

12. It sure is nice to see the defensive coaches (Robinson & Akina) talking in a professional, calm manner as opposed to the Chinese Fire Drill we used to see between Manny & Duane. Night and day difference. 2 grown, professional men that are good at their craft actually speaking in a calm, collected, controlled manner. That is what we should expect from the University of Texas.

13. Kennedy Estelle had some challenges at times however our offensive line is really beginning to gel. The 3rd and goal TD by Brown from the 3 yard line was impressive. Can you even remotely imagine that happening (even against KU) 2 seasons ago? Me neither.

14. Malcolm Brown may lack that next gear but damn, that guy has got great balance and vision. I actually think that he is playing better at this point in the season than Gray is. He just seems to want it more. 119 yards that were EARNED. As a matter of fact, I have been thinking about who Brown reminds me of and it came to me yesterday: Lorenzo White.

15. For the record, Gray had a nice day as well contributing 68 yards on the ground himself. Good problem to have at the Running Back Position.

16. What was Charlie Weis thinking when he inserted a True Freshman in at QB on a passing down to start the 4th quarter down 28-6 only to later come back to Heaps later in the game? That guy is not as smart as he thinks he is.

17. What is the deal with KU and fat Football Coaches?

18. Dalton Santos is turning into a "hitting machine." Homey brings it every play and wants to "lay the wood!"

19. Immediately after the game ended, Mack was interviewed on the field and he was asked about the performance of his team to which he replied, "we had just come off of 2 emotional games in a row." REALLY? This guy just has a spin for everything. This was a weak team that had Baylor or Aggy had played them, they would have been up 56-0 by halftime.

20. PREDICTION: Brady Hoke will be looking for a new gig after next season.

21. PREDICTION: Will Muschamp better come correct next season or he will be looking for a new gig as well. Going 0-3 to the Dawgs aint doesn't help job security. Getting drummed by FSU at the end of the season doesn't help either when you've already lost to Miami earlier in the season.

22. Buddy of mine of mine that is connected to the program made a comment, "I just don't know that Major Applewhite is a natural play caller." I know that it is year 1 but I am starting to agree HOWEVER in his defense I don't know WHO could do much better with Case McCoy as their starting QB.

23. After burning Tyrone Swoopes shirt last week, going up 28-6 I just KNEW we would bring in Swoopes for some game experience. Silly me! Hell, we could have let him simply run the zone read and let our running game run out the clock and that would have helped give the young man experience. Nope. If the decision to burn Swoopes' red shirt was truly Major's then Mack should have known that Major is coaching for a job somewhere next season. If this happened, Major's decision making is focused primarily on himself and not on the long range good of Tyrone Swoopes nor the University of Texas Football Program.

24. I hope Mack's replacement hires a full time Special Teams coach. Also, I am fine if we pull all of the crap off of the helmet promoting every cause facing society today and get back with the Longhorns are on the side of the helmet and the numbers are on the back of the helmet. If you want to put the State of Texas sticker on it then I am fine with that as well. Otherwise get all of the ribbons, all of the flags, all of the other crap off of the helmet and get on with Texas Football.

25. Regarding coaches, Urban Meyer's Ohio State squad put away a hapless Purdue squad the way a team like Ohio State should put away any hapless program. I hope to see our program return to those types of dominating performances with the next staff.

That's all I have for now. Have a great week and beat the hell out West Virginia! Wow, that just rings "regional rivalry game" doesn't it? Don't get me started- we'll talk about Conference Alignment another time..

SG

How confident are you that we are getting a new staff and HC?

Apparently Mack is the ONLY one that doesn't know that he's NOT coming back. Major understands this and is coaching for his future. He fully expects to be coaching somewhere else next season and his family wants him to stay in Texas (or as close to Texas) as possible. Every coach on this staff realizes they probably won't be back next season but are coaching for their coaching futures as well.

SG

Well, I nodded in agreement from 1 - 25.

Maybe LHN should take a hint from C & W radio stations and have fans call in during commercial breaks w/ a chance to win a BMW or something...;)

Time for a change is upon us and I don't mean the clocks...

Apparently Mack is the ONLY one that doesn't know that he's NOT coming back. Major understands this and is coaching for his future. He fully expects to be coaching somewhere else next season and his family wants him to stay in Texas (or as close to Texas) as possible. Every coach on this staff realizes they probably won't be back next season but are coaching for their coaching futures as well.

SG

Thanks for the reply.

Good post, as usual SG.

I was telling my dad we were due for a let down game and it showed. Team didn't really care one way or another. A little birdie told me last night we didn't really focus on KU. Instead, we were gameplanning for the back half of our season.

Anyway, would love to hear more about conference expansion!

Great writeup, SG. Thanks for the many points to reflect on.

#1 alone says plenty and does indeed summarize a whole lot of what's wrong with a Mack-led program. He'll always put loyalty to an individual way ahead of that for the program/team, which always makes him a cut below what Texas should have (sans the years where he has a Vince or Colt, of course).

#3 speaks to that same problem with Mack--a continued failure to possess an identity. Rather, for him the ID seems to almost come mystically, with very little or no determination as to how or when. Time and again, we read or hear him say "we're still trying to find our identity," as the season reaches the midway (or beyond, sometimes) point.

Coming off two emotional games??? You've got to be kidding me Mac...You had a buy after each one. That should be more than enough time to put the games behind you and get the team ready to play a terrable team. If this team was a true top 25 team they would have hung 50 on Kansas. I guess that's the reason they aren't in the top 25. By the way, great post SG.

I heard Mack's interview before the game and his comments regarding identity. Funny he didn't say one thing about the effect of firing Diaz (or the effect of keeping him past last season) has had since Robinson took over.

You know what? That is a GREAT point. Had the decision to unload Manny in the off-season been then this team would have had an identity from the 1st time they stepped onto the practice fields in August. At the end of the day MACK is the one responsible for lack of identity for the program.

Nevertheless, you have to give him some credit for making the changes necessary to salvage the season. Reluctantly or not, he still pulled the trigger on Diaz and righted the ship. Unfortunately for Mack and a bunch of players it was too late.

You know what? That is a GREAT point. Had the decision to unload Manny in the off-season been then this team would have had an identity from the 1st time they stepped onto the practice fields in August. At the end of the day MACK is the one responsible for lack of identity for the program.

Nevertheless, you have to give him some credit for making the changes necessary to salvage the season. Reluctantly or not, he still pulled the trigger on Diaz and righted the ship. Unfortunately for Mack and a bunch of players it was too late.

I am not going to give him a lot of credit for firing Diaz, no offense intended toward you. It's my understanding that he did it out of sheer necessity for his own sake, whether told in no uncertain terms to do so after the BYU debacle or as a realization (however late) that whatever level of job security he had was blown away with that game, and he had no choice but to make a move.

I am not going to give him a lot of credit for firing Diaz, no offense intended toward you. It's my understanding that he did it out of sheer necessity for his own sake, whether told in no uncertain terms to do so after the BYU debacle or as a realization (however late) that whatever level of job security he had was blown away with that game, and he had no choice but to make a move.

Your understanding is ABSOLUTELY correct that is why I said "reluctantly." Mack did NOT want to make this decision and thought that Diaz could right the ship- that shows you how out of touch the guy really is when it comes to X's & O's.

At the end of the day these are/were Mack's decisions and despite all of the concerns and warnings from allies he ignored them altogether. Whether out of ignorance or arrogance or both, his bad decisions have cost this program dearly. If you can't coach X's & O's then the Executive CEO stuff you BETTER have down to an art form.

Mack does NOT have it down to an art form.

Edited by Santa Gertrudis

Santa, how mad is Mack going to be if we hire Saban? Didn't he have a lot of negative things to say about Saban because he doesn't want someone to come in and turn things around immediately?

I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday since I live in Louisiana, but I'm glad I didn't. I did tell my betting friends to take the points because I didn't expect the Horns to cover and I'm glad I was right about that.

It sure looks like Oklahoma State is getting things figured out. I think we beat Tech, but we could get boat raced against OSU and Baylor. Any chances that Mack has will come down to the final 3 games and I don't see any way possible that we win out unless Robinson's defense does some magical things.

Santa, how mad is Mack going to be if we hire Saban? Didn't he have a lot of negative things to say about Saban because he doesn't want someone to come in and turn things around immediately?

I wasn't able to watch the game yesterday since I live in Louisiana, but I'm glad I didn't. I did tell my betting friends to take the points because I didn't expect the Horns to cover and I'm glad I was right about that.

It sure looks like Oklahoma State is getting things figured out. I think we beat Tech, but we could get boat raced against OSU and Baylor. Any chances that Mack has will come down to the final 3 games and I don't see any way possible that we win out unless Robinson's defense does some magical things.

He's going to be L-I-V-I-D!!! However this aint about Mack or how mad he is going to get if we hire. And yes Mack did NOT want Saban coming in and winning with his talent. Keep in mind the phrase "his talent". The statement says a lot about how Mack thinks. This is HIS program-not the University of Texas'. If Mack had his way instead of talking about Nick Saban we're talking about Larry Fedora, Troy Calhoun, David Bailiff, or Major Applewhite as his replacement. Mack and Sally are about perpetuating Mack and Sally.

On the next part of your post I am confused on what you are asking me. Are you asking me if there is a chance Mack comes back next season? If so, NO!!

If you're asking me if we can win the final 4 games, I just don't think so. Our secondary is suspect at times and Tech, Okie State , & Baylor can all sling the ball around the field. If we fall behind with Case McCoy at the helm we are screwed. A slow start like yesterday and we can be get flat-out embarrassed- and these guys would LOVE to embarrass us to establish themselves Nationally and in Texas for recruiting purposes.

Edited by Santa Gertrudis

• Administrators

Ditto the Robinson comments from above. With all due respect to Manny as a person, his defense was horrific. Was listening to a CFB program on Sirius this morning and the guys on the show were mentioning how they thought Greg Robinson has to be in consideration for the Frank Broyles award this year (going to the Asst. Coach of the Year). Not sure if Robinson is worthy of that honor but he has definitely done amazing work with this defense.

To Greg Robinson:

cheers1.jpg

Your understanding is ABSOLUTELY correct that is why I said "reluctantly." Mack did NOT want to make this decision and thought that Diaz could right the ship- that shows you how out of touch the guy really is when it comes to X's & O's.

At the end of the day these are/were Mack's decisions and despite all of the concerns and warnings from allies he ignored them altogether. Whether out of ignorance or arrogance or both, his bad decisions have cost this program dearly. If you can't coach X's & O's then the Executive CEO stuff you BETTER have down to an art form.

Mack does NOT have it down to an art form.

Nah, he sure doesn't. Yeah, we're in agreement. I was just making the point that Mack really doesn't even deserve credit for making the move to GR in light of the whole process that led to it.

He's going to be L-I-V-I-D!!! However this aint about Mack or how mad he is going to get if we hire. And yes Mack did NOT want Saban coming in and winning with his talent. Keep in mind the phrase "his talent". The statement says a lot about how Mack thinks. This is HIS program-not the University of Texas'. If Mack had his way instead of talking about Nick Saban we're talking about Larry Fedora, Troy Calhoun, David Bailiff, or Major Applewhite as his replacement. Mack and Sally are about perpetuating Mack and Sally.

On the next part of your post I am confused on what you are asking me. Are you asking me if there is a chance Mack comes back next season? If so, NO!!

If you're asking me if we can win the final 4 games, I just don't think so. Our secondary is suspect at times and Tech, Okie State , & Baylor can all sling the ball around the field. If we fall behind with Case McCoy at the helm we are screwed. A slow start like yesterday and we can be get flat-out embarrassed- and these guys would LOVE to embarrass us to establish themselves Nationally and in Texas for recruiting purposes.

Perhaps it's just my oft-spoken concern about Mack winning out and creating enough leverage to return, but I think all games are winnable to some degree. We seem to have the talent on both sides of the ball for that possibility. Having said that, Case will have to perform like he did vs OU in order to handle OkSt and Baylor. Both of those teams are really tough and will require our best game.

Personally, I would rather fall to at least one (or both) if it helps ensure a regime change. After all, if Saban falls thru and Mack continues winning, seems like his big gun former allies could be persuaded to take his side again. Hopefully, the process has moved too far for that to happen even if Saban opts to stay at 'Bama.