Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Let's Have a Q & A!!

Darrell McPhaul

How likely is Briles to Aggy? I would think with all Briles has done for Baylor that the Baylor folks would try very hard to retain him. Also heard from an Aggy today that Briles has an out in his contract for Texas but no other places in Texas. Don't know if there is any truth in that.

An insider on another site said Briles met with aggy (not sure if it was school officials or donors) during the Kansas St week, so there's definitely something going on there

Here's what I've heard

1) Some people in CS aren't fans of an interracial relationship and let's just say the wrong person might have heard about it

2) LA > CS

3) Per someone close to the aggy situation, Sumlin is probably gone

4) A poster on another site said (I believe) his wife teaches one of Sumlin's daughters, and the daughter made a comment in class saying she would be living in LA next year (I can't remember which site this was posted on, could be IT)

Think how stupid that sounds! College Station, Texas doesn't like that Sumlin is married to a white women and they are influencing Texas A&M to fire him....is this shaggybevo? Seriously...shouldn't we be concentrating on Mack's replacement?

Think how stupid that sounds! College Station, Texas doesn't like that Sumlin is married to a white women and they are influencing Texas A&M to fire him....is this shaggybevo? Seriously...shouldn't we be concentrating on Mack's replacement?

Charlie Strong has apparently dealt with the same thing before, it's sad

There are at least 20 topics on this messageboard discussing Mack's replacement just from the last week alone, I don't see any problem discussing our inbred neighbor's coaching situation on this thread

i don't think fuddy said a&m was going to fire him.

How likely is Briles to Aggy? I would think with all Briles has done for Baylor that the Baylor folks would try very hard to retain him. Also heard from an Aggy today that Briles has an out in his contract for Texas but no other places in Texas. Don't know if there is any truth in that.

Don't know but, they are interested.

Charlie Strong has apparently dealt with the same thing before, it's sad

There are at least 20 topics on this messageboard discussing Mack's replacement just from the last week alone, I don't see any problem discussing our inbred neighbor's coaching situation on this thread

Agreed, i have heard a few times he was not considered for HC at a couple of Sec schools bc of interracial marriage.

Mack can think everything is going well right now, but that stretch of Okie State, Tech and Baylor will end those thoughts. I don't see any way possible that we win all three of those.

my % on finishing out 5-0 in the last 5 games is 0%. I think Bu could embarrass us in the last game in that stadium with Briles knowing he is going to Aggie.

Edited by TheContractor

I'm all for not slobbering over Johnny Manziel or anything SEC but it's important to discuss aggy's coaching situation because it has a huge - HUGE - impact on how things shake out for recruits/programs.

I hear Sumlin is not an NFL candidate yet. Recently the minority advisory people in the NFL came up with a few names for NFL teams to target and Sumlin wasn't one of them. I think he'd easily take the USC job but I wouldn't be surprised to see USC offer someone with stronger Pac ties.

Briles to aggy would be a disaster for us, imo. He'd lock down just as many top flight recruits but is a better all around coach than Sumlin. Shoot, I think he's better than Saban. The trend is rapidly moving away from SEC football and toward Big 12/Briles type ball. We want to exercise some foresight here.

I'm all for not slobbering over Johnny Manziel or anything SEC but it's important to discuss aggy's coaching situation because it has a huge - HUGE - impact on how things shake out for recruits/programs.

I hear Sumlin is not an NFL candidate yet. Recently the minority advisory people in the NFL came up with a few names for NFL teams to target and Sumlin wasn't one of them. I think he'd easily take the USC job but I wouldn't be surprised to see USC offer someone with stronger Pac ties.

Briles to aggy would be a disaster for us, imo. He'd lock down just as many top flight recruits but is a better all around coach than Sumlin. Shoot, I think he's better than Saban. The trend is rapidly moving away from SEC football and toward Big 12/Briles type ball. We want to exercise some foresight here.

Come on man

Come on man

At this point in time I think it's true. I sorta think with the way things are trending that Saban is in the twilight of his career. Big 12 reject aggy goes in and beats him with not a single SEC recruit on his roster. A year later with one of the worst defenses in college football (and considering their schedule you could argue THE worst defense in college football) Saban wins a shootout. What would happen if Saban squared off against a spread offense that had a few years of loaded recruiting classes?

I would be happy as hell to get him, no doubt about it, but because of the way things are trending and because of his ties to Texas HS football I'd prefer Briles at this point in their careers.

At this point in time I think it's true. I sorta think with the way things are trending that Saban is in the twilight of his career. Big 12 reject aggy goes in and beats him with not a single SEC recruit on his roster. A year later with one of the worst defenses in college football (and considering their schedule you could argue THE worst defense in college football) Saban wins a shootout. What would happen if Saban squared off against a spread offense that had a few years of loaded recruiting classes?

I would be happy as hell to get him, no doubt about it, but because of the way things are trending and because of his ties to Texas HS football I'd prefer Briles at this point in their careers.

1) Do championships no longer matter?

2) Over the last several seasons, Saban's wins and loses are much more impressive than Briles.

3) Alabama wasn't exactly winning championships before Saban got there. To chalk his championships up to just having better players is fallacy in my opinion because he brought those players in.

1) Do championships no longer matter?

2) Over the last several seasons, Saban's wins and loses are much more impressive than Briles.

3) Alabama wasn't exactly winning championships before Saban got there. To chalk his championships up to just having better players is fallacy in my opinion because he brought those players in.

1) Absolutely, but I wouldn't hire Barry Switzer even if I was at OU to compete in 2014. Saban is probably the best college coach ever but it's possible the game is evolving in a way that doesn't suit him.

2) Their resumes are apples to oranges at this point. Briles hasn't coached at a place with the sort of resources and prestige that Alabama or even LSU has.

3) Saban has been incredible. Would we even allow him to oversign the way he does at bama which has been a pretty big advantage? Are the fast paced offenses that he is lobbying the NCAA to restrain (why is that?) a bit more than he can handle? I honestly don't know for sure, just tinkering with these ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Saban it's just that if we could have anyone at this point I think I'd prefer Briles.

1) Absolutely, but I wouldn't hire Barry Switzer even if I was at OU to compete in 2014. Saban is probably the best college coach ever but it's possible the game is evolving in a way that doesn't suit him.

2) Their resumes are apples to oranges at this point. Briles hasn't coached at a place with the sort of resources and prestige that Alabama or even LSU has.

3) Saban has been incredible. Would we even allow him to oversign the way he does at bama which has been a pretty big advantage? Are the fast paced offenses that he is lobbying the NCAA to restrain (why is that?) a bit more than he can handle? I honestly don't know for sure, just tinkering with these ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Saban it's just that if we could have anyone at this point I think I'd prefer Briles.

He recruits his defensive players to go against the LSUs, UGAs, USCjrs, Floridas, etc. I think if he came to Texas he'd recruit defensive players that are more geared to defend the spread. Just guessing though.

I agree that Saban needs a DC with some experience defending the Spread. Also, what if Saban brought in a new age OC, someone like Chad Morris or Scott Frost? That is the best of both worlds, be able to defend multiple types of O and be able to put up a good number of points on O.

I agree that Saban needs a DC with some experience defending the Spread. Also, what if Saban brought in a new age OC, someone like Chad Morris or Scott Frost? That is the best of both worlds, be able to defend multiple types of O and be able to put up a good number of points on O.

Yeah that would be probably ideal because clearly Saban creates a winning and intense culture.

I'm not really up to speed on this so maybe it's no longer happening or doesn't happen to the degree that I've heard but.... What about the oversigning? Would he be allowed to even pull that here? I mean, it seems like he gets 2 recruiting classes to everyone else's one. He grayshirts, redshirts, whatevershirts people and has a year to evaluate them and then can make room if he doesn't have it by running off an upperclassmen or pull the scholly from the grayshirt. What a huge advantage if I'm understanding that process properly and one that I'm not sure would fly at Texas or anywhere in the Big 12. I think Auburn and LSU do this as well.

I admit I could be way off base here but this has been my understanding.

I think a lot of people are missing some moving parts when talking about any "done deal" coaching change at Texas.

Who are the people making the decision? Powers? Jamail? Deloss? All three? Some other big money types? Think about it. Any assumption that a new head coach search is well under way assumes wither a new AD has been chosen and is building his new staff aor that whoever comes in as the new AD will be presented with his new head coach and will fall in line with the decision? Which is it? I think whoever says with any certainty they know who the next head coach will be is full of sh!t. If they were aware of the decisions going on with the HC search, they would know who is making the decision and no one is claiming to know that. How can someone be such an insider they know the decision that has been made but has no clue who made it?

I am more interested in just how deep the house cleaning will be inside Bellmont. If there are 100 new faces, there is no way the new AD is going to pick any coach who isn't currently a high level college HC. With all the staff turmoil that is going to go on with any level of house cleaning over 25 when h new AD takes over, we would be FAR better off keeping Mack than bringing in coach who, while talented, may not know all the little details necessary to keep a program like ours moving forward. The last thing we want is an amateur administrator in place as HC when the AD is distracted with a thousand details and is both trying to build a new admin staff and mold them into a cohesive unit. Gruden, Tomlin, etc are not adept at running college programs. Nor do they have deep connections with texas high school coaches for recruiting.

Before I believe someone has inside info on the next coach, I want to know from this someone who is making the decision and how deep the housecleaning will be at Bellmont. Those are two fundamental questions that haven't been discussed much, if at all.

Anyone have any input on the answers? Also, if anyone has any info on those questions, who has decided on what Mack's role within the program will be moving forward and who decided on that? Does anyone really think a new AD is going to come in and accept a HC picked by big donors and that coach will have Mach looking over his shoulder every minute while Bellmont is in chaos and the new AD is still trying to figure out the names of the donors around the state and where the men's room is?

Chad Morris won't happen, he has a huge buyout for a lateral (in regards to job title) move. What if Dana Holgy gets fired? He could be an interesting OC candidate.