Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Observations from around the College Football World today..

Santa Gertrudis

I didn't have much going on today. Got the yard work done yesterday. Consequently, I planted my arse in front of the TV to watch College Football for the day. If you're like me, you enjoy the pageantry of College Football. You enjoy the fans. You enjoy the rivalries. You enjoy the bands. You enjoy the tailgating. And, you enjoy watching the guys on Game Day- UNLESS your team is already out of contention for the National Championship and is generally referred to as being "soft", "consistently underachieving", and a "punchline" for the rest of the Nation- I digress. Nevertheless, when the University of Texas is basically relegated to being a "footnote" on Game Day, and has been for several years now, you know you are WELL past the point of needing a coaching change at the top. And God willing, that is coming. I think deep down Mack knows it's over but the old bastard aint going without a fight. On to observations:

1. In watching OU, I am CONVINCED this is the WORST OU team that Bob Stoops has had since becoming Head Coach at OU. This team has 3-4 more losses in them. Their offense is anemic. Their defense is undisciplined and lacks playmakers. It seems like the UT players aren't the only players tuning out their Head Coach! Even with the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball, I don't know how Heupel survives.

2. Jimbo Fisher's name was being mentioned 3-4 months ago as a potential candidate to replace Mack. Since then, I have yet to hear his name come up at all. One has to wonder why a guy with a squad ranked #2 in the Nation and has his squad DOMINATING the opposition week-in, week-out, isn't even in the discussion of possible replacements.

3. Alabama reminds everyone why if you have a great defense, no matter what sport, you can play for a championship. I am still not sold on Saban having success coming to the Big 12 if he doesn't move to the spread BUT what the Hell do I know? He's won 3 National Championships and I am posting on the Internet about Football. I'll take my chances with Saban and be happy doing so!

4. Regarding Terry Saban coming to Austin to look at houses, any of you guys out there married? Any of you guys been married for a while? What happens when you tell your wife NOT to do something? That's right.. And BTW, if "mama aint happy, aint nobody happy!"

5. Hearing the same thing McPhaul and Jesus posted about the good guys opening up their pocket books not only for the Head Coach, but for Coordinators and Assistants as well. We won't buy players, but we'll buy the most talented Coaches in Football on ANY level today. The value prop will be to mom and dad, "do you want your son to get paid $75K today Or do you want your son to get paid $7.5M in the next 5 years?" You may have a guy like Muschamp get whacked and come to coach at UT under Saban and not have to take a pay-cut to do so. The mindset of this approach is that we want to make it expensive for Programs to lure our Coordinators away financially. We don't want to have to replace Coordinators year-in, year-out. If a Coordinator leaves for a program, that program is going to have to step-up and pay "big boy" $$ for the guy. Hell, what good is having a ton of $$ if you aren't going to spend it?

6. Tech's "Devil may care" approach offensively is just awesome. And if you're out-talented on both sides of the ball, why the Hell not? Those guys are well coached on both sides of the ball and I can assure you their payroll is a FRACTION of what our staff's is!

7. Okie State did to Iowa State what any decent team should have done to them whether the game is in Aimes, Stillwater, or the North Pole.

8. Aggy did the exact same thing to Vandy. Speaking of Vandy, I appreciate the job Franklin has done there but he is in no way ready to be a HC at a school like UT. Not yet.

9. Speaking of Aggy, even without Johnny Head Case I would GLADLY take Sumlin in a heart-beat! The guy can recruit like a mf'er. He's cocky. He's confident. And the kids can relate to the guy. Contrast that with the game show host we currently have at the helm of our program!

10. Just as McPhaul posted, don't automatically think if things go awry with Saban that we immediately go to a Muschamp or Briles. When coaches on both the NFL and Collegiate level see what we are going to implement as our "go to market strategy" you are going to see all sorts of coaches coming out of the woodwork for this job. Hell, it's like being the GM of a Collegiate Program with more money then damned near anyone in professional sports!

11. How anyone can say the University of Texas needs to be in a conference with K-State, West Virginia, KU, TCU, & Baylor is simply beyond me! There is NOTHING about playing any of those teams that remotely resembles "natural rivalry" like there would be if we were in a conference with other prestigious, proud programs like in the SEC. Who knows, with a guy like Luck or Patterson at the helm, maybe what was once considered faux-pas may be re-evaluated? If not, give me the ACC. With the addition of UT the ACC could be on-par with the SEC. Also, consider the great academic institutions affiliated with the ACC. Also, the last time I checked they play some pretty decent basketball and baseball over there if memory serves me correctly.

12. How can Texas Tech have walk-on Freshmen QB's under a new coaching staff, learning a new system, and come in and play like they have been in that system as a Red Shirt Junior. Meanwhile back at the 40 Acres we're.. Nevermind. Apparently there is something to that "Devil May Care" approach to football. Ask Jameis Winston if you don't believe me.

13. Mack still believes if he can win out that he will return. And you may begin hearing that this may be gaining traction with some out there they may begin to waver. The problem for those folks they may want to keep Mack around is that the University of Texas has already initiated that process of reaching out to replacements. And from what we're hearing, if what is being discussed as it pertains to Saban, imagine what would happen if we reneg at this juncture? Our brand would be severely damaged as it pertains to business. Again, we don't do clown shows here at the 40.

14. Speaking of Mack, how he could not see Manny needed to be replaced in the off-season was arrogant and ignorant on his part. In Manny's defense, typically a HC can offer some sort of advice or recommendations to help a situation during the course of a game. What happened to Manny and this team is directly attributed to Mack Brown's lack of X's & O's comprehension. Need further evidence of Mack's ineptness as a Head Coach look no further than 2 weeks ago when Mack told the coaching staff to "do whatever they needed to do to win the game." Well, Mack got the Hell out of the way and we put a beatdown on our rival that has embarrassed us the last couple of times out. Tell me, if the guy cannot even contribute to the Game Plan then what exactly are we paying this guy $5.45M+/yr for? Game Show Host duties on the LHN?

15. Glad to have Shaunsters and MR. COSELL on this site. I have always been a fan from afar and am looking forward to their contributions in the future.

16. Seeing Game Day at Eugene just aint right. Those damn hippies don't appreciate football enough out there to host Game Day. I kid, I kid! I understand that Autzen Stadium can be and intimidating, loud place to play football. How intimidating and loud 55K can be is beyond me but still.

17. I don't want Mack Brown ANYWHERE NEAR the decision making process of replacing him! Instead of hearing names like Saban, Meyer, Tomlin, Gruden you would hear names like Larry Fedora, Al Golden, and probably a guy like David Bailiff being named as candidates. I want no part of Mack Brown after this season.

18. The Fox Sports Guys are trying, but DAMN, there is NO chemistry with those guys on set.

19. College Football just isn't the same when schools like Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame, & Penn State are down. Call me a traditionalist but I know what I like.

20. Was glad to see Pelini go down at Minnesota. Hell, he might be a good candidate to be our DC next season? Set personal feelings aside. Thoughts?

That's all I got for now. We'll see how the day winds down.

BEAT THE HELL OUTTA THE FROGGIES!!

SG

Edited by Santa Gertrudis

Two thoughts:

(1) How Mack thinks he can return regardless of how this season plays out is beyond me. What arrogance.....glad to know the wheels are in motion

(2) If BMD's are willing to pay top coin for coordinators, then bring in Muschamp as DC. Want no part....repeat no part of Pelini's act. And there are better DC's out there.

Great stuff.....and yes, Gameday isn't the same in the cloudy, rainy NW.

• Administrators

This post is golden. Thank you for the time it took to write this masterpiece! We are fortunate to have you on the site SG.

On Pelini - good coach but damn it would be tough to see his smirky face on the sideline in any capacity. As Maverick told Goose "Nah, it's no good."

I would take Muschamp in a heartbeat again as DC and I agree about Franklin. Project type of coach at UT that wouldn't be a good fit right now for the program.

Two thoughts:

(1) How Mack thinks he can return regardless of how this season plays out is beyond me. What arrogance.....glad to know the wheels are in motion

(2) If BMD's are willing to pay top coin for coordinators, then bring in Muschamp as DC. Want no part....repeat no part of Pelini's act. And there are better DC's out there.

Great stuff.....and yes, Gameday isn't the same in the cloudy, rainy NW.

I REALLY think that Mack is in denial to a degree however if you closely listen to post game interviews he sounds like a man resolved to his fate. Nevertheless, I hear he is REALLY trying to solidify another year as HC. My question to the masses is if you know the guy is at the end of the road, why would you possibly give him another year just to take this thing further off into the ditch?

Great read! SG what are your thoughts do you think MB has anyone on his side at this point in the game to sway the decision makers to give him another year?

I really don't think so- if so, not with the ones that really matters. Jamail is done. Red is done. These guys want to play for another MNC before taking that long, dirt nap. Deloss retiring basically left him without anyone to make his case to keep him around! Powers is trying to keep his gig and he better come correct or he's out.

The one thing I feel badly about is that Powers is going to yet again have an uncomfortable conversation with Mack. Mack is putting his friends in uncomfortable situations of having to tell him time and time again that "it's over!" A friend shouldn't have to do that to another friend but after spending time in North Carolina and Virginia discussing Mack, I realize Mack and Sally are about Mack and Sally. Sorry to pull the wife into the conversation but one has to understand the role Sally plays in Mack's life which invevitabilly effects us as UT Fans.

Thanks SG! That was one of my concerns was that MB would want another year if they were to win out. It is good to know that there is no one of influence to help him push that agenda. I feel bad for Powers as well to be in the predicament he is in because of MB and Sallys own selfish needs.

Santa I appreciate your insight. The biggest thing that I took from it is that we are ready and willing to pay top dollar to assistants. That's going to be HUGE when it comes to hiring our next coach. If you're another coach and you're going to get paid BIG money and your assistants are going to get paid big money too how do you turn that down? It's like a dream come true.

Watching football today I think if we look to the college ranks and Saban isn't the guy Jimbo Fisher needs a call. We can double his salary without question. The biggest issue is that he has Winston back next year. How do you leave that guy when you know he has another year of eligibility?

Mack can keep thinking that he's going to win out, but that closing stretch is going to doom him in. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't think we can beat Ok State, Tech and Baylor in consecutive weeks.

If Mack doenst want to leave this job, do you think he will help make a good decision about who should have that job next?

Mack needs a clean departure from Texas right now, a huge celebration for all he has done and maybe a section with his name on it.

He has done GREAT things at Texas and now also bad things. His job at Texas earned him a paycheck, thats it.

He has also learned to suck up a lot of $ for being a below average coach the past 4 years.

I understand when you work with someone for so long they do become a friend, but Bill is Mack's boss, and its time to make the right decision for the university. Mack will not go quietly, especially if we end up around 9-3, there will be a real power struggle. Hopefully it doesnt become public.

I just don't see things getting ugly at all for some reason. I think Mack has seen the hand writing on the wall, not too mention heard it from a lot of his faithful BMD buddies. I really believe that he knows it's over and is playing his cards perfectly to protect the school and most importantly our recruiting class.

Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly enough but I think things will go a lot smoother than most are thinking they will.

I REALLY think that Mack is in denial to a degree however if you closely listen to post game interviews he sounds like a man resolved to his fate. Nevertheless, I hear he is REALLY trying to solidify another year as HC. My question to the masses is if you know the guy is at the end of the road, why would you possibly give him another year just to take this thing further off into the ditch?

Exactly....besides this year was his "another year". You can't play that game forever.

"How anyone can say the University of Texas needs to be in a conference with K-State, West Virginia, KU, TCU, & Baylor is simply beyond me! There is NOTHING about playing any of those teams that remotely resembles "natural rivalry" like there would be if we were in a conference with other prestigious, proud programs like in the SEC. Who knows, with a guy like Luck or Patterson at the helm, maybe what was once considered faux-pas may be re-evaluated? If not, give me the ACC. With the addition of UT the ACC could be on-par with the SEC. Also, consider the great academic institutions affiliated with the ACC. Also, the last time I checked they play some pretty decent basketball and baseball over there if memory serves me correctly."

I don't disagree with this assessment of our Big 12 conference affiliation. BUT what makes Aggy playing Arky, Miss State, Ole Miss and Auburn any sexier? The SEC/ESPN hype machine? We're in this conference because of our sweetheart LHN deal and we're the lead dogs. What's a "natural rivalry" anyway? Just give me competitive, exciting football games.

The ACC is a better league for UT IF we were to move from the perspective that the Central/Eastern time zones are better for TV than the Pac-12 and the Pacific. Yes, playing FSU, Miami, and Clemson is pretty cool. Wake Forest, Syracuse, BC, and Pitt? Not so much.

Hypothetically, let's say UT, OU, Tech and Okie State bailed to form the Pac-16. What's wrong with a Mountain/Central division that includes AZ, ASU, CO and Utah? We keep one in-state rivalry in this scenario. Maybe that's a better deal than the ACC?

Thanks again for your well-written and thought-provoking posts, SG :)

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

Going to the ACC can't hurt when it comes to recruiting basketball and baseball players either. We would have a new coach in both sports. Getting someone in that region that could replace Barnes and Garrido would help w/ the recruiting the whole East Coast.

A baseball conference w/ NC, Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, and UT would be pretty damn salty. No need to mention basketball w/ their well documented & rich history.