Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack on Tim Brando Show this AM

Santa Gertrudis

I was listening to Sirius XM College Sports this morning (like I do every morning) and low and behold, guess who happened to be on my radio? That's right folks, Media Blitzkrieg Part Deux with Mack Brown. During this interview, I was expecting Brando to throw out some thought-provoking questions in which I wanted to see how Mack responded. Well, after hearing these guys go on with each other about playing trombone in the band and having known each other for over 30 years, I quickly discovered this was going to be a love-fest of the mutual admiration society. Consequently, Mack came across as the "elder statesman" of College Football which I would have expected. He was comfortable with how the interview went especially knowing up-front that NO questions would be asked about his future at UT.

On to topics discussed:

1. Said that the OU game was the first game UT had 2 100 yard rushers in the same game with Brown & Gray.

2. Said the open week did them a lot of good in getting folks healthy and also gave Robinson more time to evaluate talent, scheme and determine how best to move forward for the last 6 games defensively.

3. Said they had to "buckle-up" and keep running the ball against a TCU squad that was strong against the run.

4. Said what a good defensive coach Patterson was and how his teams always play hard and are prepared.

5. Talked about the new Amon Carter being sold out (even standing room only seats).

6. Said that we needed to maintain the run because Case was not a running QB like David. Said that Case has an accurate arm (I don't know what Case he is referring to at this point but I assume it is McCoy!). Consequently, we were going to have to run the ball like we did against OU & K-State.

7. Said that they hoped to have Ash back by some time this season however the coaches cannot even ask about David's health or it's perceived as pressuring him to play prematurely. I can tell you that I know for a fact that Ash was being rushed back but we'll have that discussion on another day. Anyway, Mack talked about back in his day they would hold up 5 fingers and ask you how many fingers they were holding up. If you answered "2" they put you back into the game!

8. One thing that I COMPLETELY agreed with is that he said that something needed to be done about the targeting rule. If there is a penalty for targeting and it goes up to the booth for review and determined that there wasn't a targeting penalty then why is the team still penalized the 15 yards? GREAT POINT. He went on to say that if that rule is not properly addressed then it could undermine the credibility of the game. I AGREE!

9. Mack talked about how the teaching of tackling a different schools across the country is becoming more and more difficult to avoid rules violations. Consequently, tackling is getting more difficult. That and having Manny Diaz coach your defense I might add.

10. Not 1 question about coaching rumors. NOT A SINGLE QUESTION!

That's all I got for now. Thought I would pass it along. Things very battened-down at this point. Information coming out has been slowed significantly. Will keep you posted when I hear something.

SG

Brando hates Texas. I bet he had Mack on in order to try and keep him on as coach so that he can keep beating us down. I used to have to listen to his crap show here in West Monroe when I first moved here, but it was nothing but a SEC lovefest. I still remember back in 2009 he picked against us in every toss up game that we played that year. It was nauseating.

• Administrators

Case has an accurate arm? WTH?

Brando always talks about Mack being on the hot seat every time he has a national guest on the show. Guess he was a little intimidated.....

And Brando's SEC love-fest is definitely apparent in all of it - as LongviewLobo mentioned. He would probably cry for days if Saban left SEC for the Big 12.

Exorcist.jpg

Santa, you sound bitter... :cool:

You know as well as I do that Mack is gone at the end of the season. This media tour could be an act of self-preservation. Just like a Congressman at the end of his term setting himself up for a job as a lobbyist, Mack could very well be setting himself up for his next role. I'm not sure why you would expect him to discuss anything regarding his future with Brando when ESPN/LHN should have the inside track on breaking that story. But thanks for sharing, I always enjoy talking shop with you.

Brando is one of the most bias radio/tv hosts ever. stopped listening to him years ago. if u arnt SEC you arnt good, not even NFL. Brando sucks

He was raised in Shreveport, La and graduated from the bastion of academic excellence known as the University of Louisiana at Monroe. His daughters went to LSU and Ole Miss. Long time SEC broadcaster on CBS. Sports are getting as bad as the national network news in trying to find an objective opinion and Brando is a classic example of that.

I heard it too and it was pretty much a slobberfest.

Man, your post on OB sure started some conversation as it pertains to this site. You can either serve your customers or your sources. I realize it is a tight-rope but these pay sites may want to re-evaluate that relationship or they will continue to lose members

Man, your post on OB sure started some conversation as it pertains to this site. You can either serve your customers or your sources. I realize it is a tight-rope but these pay sites may want to re-evaluate that relationship or they will continue to lose members

I'm not going to stop subscribing to OB, but I will stick around for the content. I rarely post there any more and have probably posted more here in the past week than I have there in probably the past 6 months.

I'm not going to stop subscribing to OB, but I will stick around for the content. I rarely post there any more and have probably posted more here in the past week than I have there in probably the past 6 months.

I'll tell ya what, if they don't "reel in" some of the personal attacks that take place on that site then they won't have ANY insiders left to post on that site. And quite honestly, as a paying member to OB for almost 10 years I am about ready to cancel my membership.

When you have grown men kind enough to share information that was provided to them and then get flamed by a bunch of idiots for lying or making $hit up, then you better step-in and police the site to a degree before those key contributors leave.

I for 1 will NOT be posting anything as it pertains to shared information on OB EVER AGAIN.

Edited by Santa Gertrudis

Brando does suck. He gets so bent out of shape when he gets called an sec homer too, but the only person worse than him is finebaum. Not long ago he was talking about the a.d. replacement and and he mentioned repeatedly how much he hates dodds and his arrogance that "drove a&m to the sec". Then he went on to suggest that texas fans were stupid b/c they dont want briles. He then said the reason we dont want briles is that texas thinks they are too good to pull a coach from baylor.