Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire 2

Darrell McPhaul

Bowlsby is still the AD Texas prefers. The road block is his contract. I heard that we are looking into every loophole. The other issue that is bothersome is the political fallout. The other B12 Presidents are against this move.

Luck is the No.2 and if we cannot work a deal with Bowlsby, he should get the offer. My favorite candidate was Del Conte for personal reasons. He was one of the first to interview. We told him thanks but, no thanks. If it falls through with Luck, look for us to go back to Del Conte.

On to the coaching search.

Sabans if he wants and I think he does.

2nd Tier - Gruden, Carroll & Tomlin

3rd Tier - Muschamp, Fitzgerald & Briles

• Administrators
Bowlsby is still the AD Texas prefers. The road block is his contract. I heard that we are looking into every loophole. The other issue that is bothersome is the political fallout. The other B12 Presidents are against this move.

Luck is the No.2 and if we cannot work a deal with Bowlsby, he should get the offer. My favorite candidate was Del Conte for personal reasons. He was one of the first to interview. We told him thanks but, no thanks. If it falls through with Luck, look for us to go back to Del Conte.

Wow, outside of Saban we are looking toward the NFL next? Another question - would a Del Conte hire make us look a little more closely at Patterson?

Saban is interested? Damn, no double damn. I guess $10 million is hard to ignore?

Gruden? I think you missed the boat here? Surely he would rather coach in the NFL, but then again Texas can offer more money.

Carroll? As in Peter Carroll? No way..

Tomlin. I could see this happening.

Muschamp? I hope, from a personal standpoint, this never happens.

Fitzgerald? Again, I could see this happening

Briles? I would love the hire, but I don't think he leaves Baylor for any job? Then again, it is Texas

Dear God do not let it be Gruden. Not wild about Carroll either (he's dirty). After Saban, I'd prefer to skip tier 2 and go straight to 3.

Coaching... I dont see Carrol and dont want him for that matter. Fitzgerald, Strong are my top choices, but what do I know?

AD... I like Luck and think he brings a lot to the table

Luck is not a "sexy" pick by any means but is there any potential AD out there that is?

• Administrators
No on Patterson and from what I hear he was not too happy about not getting any play.

That is why Patterson made the comment two weeks ago that I'm a football coach, not a gold watch coach that attends the end of practice.

I actually kinda like Patterson. Total a-hole but good coach.

No on Patterson and from what I hear he was not too happy about not getting any play.

That is why Patterson made the comment two weeks ago that I'm a football coach, not a gold watch coach that attends the end of practice.

I kinda thought that is why he said that. Can I use that tonight on the Podcast?

If that's the coaching pool from which we have to choose, I'll take Tomlin. But if we're going to the NFL, let's grab Harbaugh. He's been my No. 1 choice all along.

Saban would be third (due to age) and Muschamp 4th.

Our next coach needs to be part Drill Sergeant, part Zig Ziglar and all discipline.

What do yall think of Bowlsby as our AD? other than he was at Stanford, i dont know much.

I hope we interview at least 3-4 guys, just so we dont rush into anything.

I really want to vomit at that coaching list.

Saban for 5-10 years, ill take it. IF he comes here and gets a title or 2, he has to go down in history as the greatest, winning at 3 schools and # of titles won.

Tier 2 absolutely sucks, WTF is the committee thinking? Gruden cant coach college. Not sure Tomlin is a college coach but at least he is disciplined. Carroll has a negative history in college but he can coach and recruit. Would he leave a top 4 NFL team? The committee should be fired based on Tier 2 alone.

Tier 3: I am not a Muschamp guy but we could do worse, see Tier 2. I dont know about Pat Fitz, just feel like he is a big 10 guy. can he keep up with Big 12 offenses?

I love me some Briles, can recruit in the state of Texas like few others bc of HS ties. Great Offense, would need to hire a top DC, which he can a Texas. Like giving a guy who has been driving a nice Camry the keys to a Ferrari and see how he does.

I am also a fan of Charlie Strong, would be a very good hire imo. No Texas ties but a damn good coach.

Joined a while ago but this is my first post. Ya'll are doing a great job on this board, I hope that it keeps growing.

I keep trying to wrap my head around the idea of Saban coming to Texas and can't do it for a couple of reasons:

1. He's won a MNC at LSU and in his 6 seasons at Bama he's won 3 crystal footballs and looks to have a shot at a 4th this season, his 5th overall. As much as I hate to say it, I don't see Bama dropping out of the MNC chase anytime in the near future which gives him the opportunity to eclipse the 6 championships won by Bear; so if he decides he's only going to coach for 5 more years why would he give up that opportunity? We should be on a level playing field with Bama when it comes to being an elite program but we're not there right now and, in all likelihood, it's going to take a couple of seasons to get us back there regardless of who's coaching.

2. $10M is a lot of money but, at this point in his career, is more money going to be the deciding factor in him making the change? What happens when/if Bama matches the $$? It'd be ignorance/arrogance to assume that they lack the ability to counter almost any offer that we make.

3. Saban's got more coaching years behind him than in front of him and he's built a program that, from the outside, seems to run like a well-oiled machine and a program that he runs without a great deal of "input" from boosters/bmds; will he be able to do the same here? Additionally, Nick's not the most media friendly coach out there, how's he going to handle the LHN? Will the UT culture change or will Nick? And would the additional distractions be a deterrent?

I think that Saban's the kind of coach that we need right now...someone who's going to come in and run his program, his way...and I hope that the rumor's true (I have a good friend who's a huge Bama fan...I'd have a field day giving him hell!!!).

Joined a while ago but this is my first post. Ya'll are doing a great job on this board, I hope that it keeps growing.

Appreciate that. We hope it keeps going as well.

I keep trying to wrap my head around the idea of Saban coming to Texas and can't do it for a couple of reasons:

1. He's won a MNC at LSU and in his 6 seasons at Bama he's won 3 crystal footballs and looks to have a shot at a 4th this season, his 5th overall. As much as I hate to say it, I don't see Bama dropping out of the MNC chase anytime in the near future which gives him the opportunity to eclipse the 6 championships won by Bear; so if he decides he's only going to coach for 5 more years why would he give up that opportunity? We should be on a level playing field with Bama when it comes to being an elite program but we're not there right now and, in all likelihood, it's going to take a couple of seasons to get us back there regardless of who's coaching.

Because no one has won national championships at three different schools, and if he rebuilt Alabama, Texas, and won one at LSU he would be the greatest coach in college football history. He also can rebuild here even faster than he did at Bama

2. $10M is a lot of money but, at this point in his career, is more money going to be the deciding factor in him making the change? What happens when/if Bama matches the $$? It'd be ignorance/arrogance to assume that they lack the ability to counter almost any offer that we make.

See above, I think its only partially about money.

3. Saban's got more coaching years behind him than in front of him and he's built a program that, from the outside, seems to run like a well-oiled machine and a program that he runs without a great deal of "input" from boosters/bmds; will he be able to do the same here? Additionally, Nick's not the most media friendly coach out there, how's he going to handle the LHN? Will the UT culture change or will Nick? And would the additional distractions be a deterrent?

The culture needs to be changed here. Thats why some of the big cigars want him.

I think that Saban's the kind of coach that we need right now...someone who's going to come in and run his program, his way...and I hope that the rumor's true (I have a good friend who's a huge Bama fan...I'd have a field day giving him hell!!!).

It would be interesting and the only non risk hire out there.

Not sure if you've watched Bama play this year but they are a shell of their former selves. Their terrible schedule masks the fact they are not what they were. Bama is on their way down. They lose AJ next year... Their play is markedly less than what it was... I would be willing to bet a decent sum of money that not only does Bama not win the NC this year, they don't even play in it. Austin, money, and potential are def enough to draw him away... Whether he chooses to leave or not this late in his life is yet to be determined. IMO...