Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting rumor floating the interwebs

MBHORNSFAN

Posted at another site by a "insider"

After the Ole Miss loss, Mack called former All American Longhorn Rod Babers into his office and told him that he was to speak nothing but the company line in his role as UT radio guy or he would be fired. When Babers pushed back and told him that his job was to call things as he sees them, he was given an ultimatum by Mack.

When Babers told Mack that he was a Lifetime Longhorn and wanted the program to succeed, but wouldn't lie to other Longhorns if something was going poorly and it needed to be discussed. Babers told Mack that he bleeds orange, but he's not anyone's hired stooge.

Mack then fired Babers on the spot and told him he would not be returning next year in his role as sideline guy and would not be allowed back into the inner circle when he turns things around. Babers then told Mack that the mere fact that he had time in his day to have the meeting between the two of them when his team had been whipped the previous two weeks was proof that his focus was twisted and that he didn't have what it takes to turn it around. He was then told to leave Mack's office.

For the man on the left and the man on your right. The 2013 Texas Longhorns.

• Administrators

Not surprising in the least bit. While we don't know if it is true or not you can bet your ass Mack Brown has thin skin. Most of us have heard the rumors about him being, to put it frankly, a dick.

I hope it isn't the case with Rod because if so, who in the hell does Mack think he is?

Babers then told Mack that the mere fact that he had time in his day to have the meeting between the two of them when his team had been whipped the previous two weeks was proof that his focus was twisted and that he didn't have what it takes to turn it around.

I don't know if the whole story is fake but this part definitely is. Rod wouldn't say something like that, not on radio, not to Mack.

No matter what... With everyone speaking out now... The end is near... Just where now is the real question? Airport, bus, mens room?

They'll let Mack go out on kind terms. I don't think there is any question really that this is the end of the Mack Brown Era at Texas. I don't see anyway he returns next year, even if we should happen to blow out blow U at the RRR.

I think he announces his retirement before the end of the season. It's obvious the coaching search has already begun.

They'll let Mack go out on kind terms. I don't think there is any question really that this is the end of the Mack Brown Era at Texas. I don't see anyway he returns next year, even if we should happen to blow out blow U at the RRR.

I think he announces his retirement before the end of the season. It's obvious the coaching search has already begun.

Agreed.. But with as much media is there is now, mack wont survive another gutless blowout. Bad media turns recruits, and big money is afraid of that. Have to protect the future. We get blown in the RRR game, espn will have us on the air every 15 minutes.. With a clock ticking

• Administrators

We need to go full-force this season and forget about burning redshirts, hurting players feelings, etc.... Mack's done and I'd like to see the guy quit spin-talking and just win some f##king football games. Go out in a flame.................

Agreed.. But with as much media is there is now, mack wont survive another gutless blowout. Bad media turns recruits, and big money is afraid of that. Have to protect the future. We get blown in the RRR game, espn will have us on the air every 15 minutes.. With a clock ticking

Mack will finish out the year, regardless of what the results may be IMO. I don't see any way that a change is made/announced before the end of the season.

Dodds retires.

Mack retires.

We start over fresh with a new AD and Head Football Coach.

Baseball and basketball will probably follow suit after their respective seasons.

• Administrators
WELL WELL

Rod Babers @rodb314

I've officially resigned my job as sideline reporter 4 UT radio broadcasts. I wanna thank IMG & UT for the opportunity.

How the dynamic in Austin will change once Mack is gone. He bullies reporters, businesses and former players.....