Welcome to HornSports

Join our community and talk about the latest in Texas Longhorns Athletics!

COVID-19 ALERT: All University of Texas Athletics competitions/games cancelled until Sunday March 29th
Sign in to follow this  
jdwall12

Greek Guard/Forward Ioannis Papapetrou set to chose between UT and KU today

Not sure if many of you have heard of Ioannis Papapetrou, but he's a 6'7 Greek SF who plays his hs ball at Florida Air Academy. He flew under the radar because he didn't play AAU ball, but college coaches have fallen in love with his game. He was heavily recruited by Texas, Kansas, Alabama and George Mason. Each of those schools put the full court press on Papapetrou by sending head coaches down to Florida to visit him. There isn't any tape of him playing on the internet, but I saw some of his U16 stats from the summer of 2010 and he seems like a jack of all trades. Word is he is supposed to continue growing as well. Seeing that we will only return 11 players again next season(if J'covan Brown leaves with Kabongo, Chapman and Wangmene) it would make a lot of sense for him to commit to Texas. Papapetrou also said that he would know the right school after making his visit. Good news for us, he was in Austin last weekend and this past week decided he would choose between UT and KU today. Another positive is that Rick Barnes has done really well with international players. One such advantage is probably the fact that they feel comfortable with the diversity of the city of Austin and the diverse student body at UT. Hopefully we get this kid. He is supposed to grow to be a 7 footer. Which would be great. A 7 footer with guard skills isn't something we've had since KD. As Bob Barker would say...Ioannis, come on down!

I read an article about him and it sounded like his coach was pushing Kansas on him. Texas visited him in Florida last week and supposedly he checked out his home state team too in the University of Florida. The reviews on this kid are stellar, like you said. A big man that plays more like a guard. Hard to argue with the basketball history of Kansas but Austin and the U of Texas stand on their own also.

The decision is supposed to come at 11:00 am today so stay tuned!

Looks like he made THE RIGHT CHOICE. WELCOME TO THE NEW LONGHORN. HOOKEM.

ESPN's Scouting Report from a Sept. 20 post:

Strengths: Native of Greece who is the owner of a physically strong body. Scouts got to see him in the spring of 2011 as a member of Nike Team Florida. Can play from the high post to the wing. Will drive his man deep and seems to have a strong basketball IQ. Very much a scrappy type of player with some range to 3-point land.

Weaknesses: He struggled with the pace and style of AAU basketball; we don't have a high school evaluation to go by. Athletically appears to be average at best. Can he guard athletic small forward would be a legitimate question.

Bottom Line: Plays high school basketball for a good teacher (Aubin Goporo) especially of foreign players — and he's got somewhat of an international reputation. Likely a rock solid mid-major prospect who would be viewed as a rotation player in time for a bigger league team.

Have to admit I don't follow UT hoops like I should. Is this guy a one and done type? One of my beefs with Rick is all the one timers who never quite show what they can do. I have always felt we maybe should take some a step below to ensure we have some experience.

Don't think this guy is a one and doner. He will use college as a development tool. It is frustrating because the nature of college basketball and the ability for kids to leave after a year do not allow for consistency amongst programs - unless you are Duke or North Carolina and have McDonald's All American's on your wait-list. @jdwall12 If Brown has the season we expect him to have I think he may bolt for the NBA. Then again as long as the lockout continues we may have tons of kids staying in college!

Barnes is putting together a really nice recruiting class. He always recruits well but he needs to push the guys more so they can make a deep tourney run. Not too high on his tournament performances over the last 5 years or so.