Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mack Brown Can Save his Legacy!

beevomav

I look to the past for guidance on these sort of things. The year was 1989 and a guy named Jerry Jones had just bought the Dallas Cowboys. The head coach was some guy named Tom Landry.

landry.jpg

The Cowboys had floundered the previous three seasons, going 7-8, 7-9, and 3-13. There were rumblings, and the then owner, Bum Bright, was supposed to fire Landry before Jerry and Jimmy Johnson hit town. Bright could not bring himself to fire a legend, so he left the dirty work to Jerry Jones. When they finally got around to firing Landry, the coach said this?

It's a shame. I was fired up about the next season and had some ideas I wanted to use.

Poor Mack Brown. We heard the exact same thing from him:

“I’m trying to fix it. That’s what I’ve done my whole life.â€

Someone needs to step up and save coach Royal's legacy. It's obvious that person won't be DeLoss Dodds. He like Bum Bright, doesn't have the heart to take down a great coach and personal friend.

It's time for this guy to step up and save his legacy.

Mack+Brown

That's right, Mack must resign to save his legacy. Tom Landry came out the winner with the Cowboys. People forgot the previous three seasons and remember the Super Bowl wins and the great man that Coach Landry always was.

Coach Brown is a good man and he did lead this team to two BCS championship games and a National Championship in 2005. If he steps up and saves himself, that National Championship and Vince Young is what will be remembered.

Even to this day, you can't think of Roger Stauback without thinking of Coach Landry. That is there for Mack as well. It's up to him. He needs to step up or someone may have to give him a nudge.

2545279-University_of_Texas_Tower_Lit_up_with_the_1-Austin.jpg

• Administrators

Mack will stay at The University in some capacity - that's for sure. Hopefully as far away from the X's and O's as possible under the new coach/AD..... I think he will also have some input into who is interviewed for the position(s). Powers has not a clue about athletics and the Big Boosters will ultimately have the upper hand in the decision-making process... but Brown will be in on the discussion.

I look to the past for guidance on these sort of things. The year was 1989 and a guy named Jerry Jones had just bought the Dallas Cowboys. The head coach was some guy named Tom Landry.

landry.jpg

The Cowboys had floundered the previous three seasons, going 7-8, 7-9, and 3-13. There were rumblings, and the then owner, Bum Bright, was supposed to fire Landry before Jerry and Jimmy Johnson hit town. Bright could not bring himself to fire a legend, so he left the dirty work to Jerry Jones. When they finally got around to firing Landry, the coach said this?

Poor Mack Brown. We heard the exact same thing from him:

Someone needs to step up and save coach Royal's legacy. It's obvious that person won't be DeLoss Dodds. He like Bum Bright, doesn't have the heart to take down a great coach and personal friend.

It's time for this guy to step up and save his legacy.

Mack+Brown

That's right, Mack must resign to save his legacy. Tom Landry came out the winner with the Cowboys. People forgot the previous three seasons and remember the Super Bowl wins and the great man that Coach Landry always was.

Coach Brown is a good man and he did lead this team to two BCS championship games and a National Championship in 2005. If he steps up and saves himself, that National Championship and Vince Young is what will be remembered.

Even to this day, you can't think of Roger Stauback without thinking of Coach Landry. That is there for Mack as well. It's up to him. He needs to step up or someone may have to give him a nudge.

2545279-University_of_Texas_Tower_Lit_up_with_the_1-Austin.jpg

Extremely well said, couldn't agree more... I'd love to see him save his legacy.

Id like to see Mack stick around as part of the LHF. Maybe find a way for him and Sally to aid with the official visits, parents, things like that. The guy cant coach anymore but he is still one hell of a salesman.

I would like him in that capacity as well... He fosters a great atmosphere to raise young men and not future convicts. He is no longer a solid coach but he is still a great role model and positive fugue.

No, Mack Brown can't save his legacy. Why? Because he ain't got one, unless blowout losses to OU and unranked teams can be considered legacy.

I guess I have been around long enough to know that's just not true. At some time, people will remember Mack as a good guy who stayed too long. Mack was also the head coach when Texas had their signature win in my 66 years on this planet. I know of no other win, and that includes 5 SB wins for my Cowboys, that had the impact as the win over USC in the Rose Bowl.

Remember when we talk of Mack, that no other coach outside the SEC has won a BCS title since then. So if he has no legacy, then we are going to up shit creek when looking for the next head coach.

I guess I have been around long enough to know that's just not true. At some time, people will remember Mack as a good guy who stayed too long. Mack was also the head coach when Texas had their signature win in my 66 years on this planet. I know of no other win, and that includes 5 SB wins for my Cowboys, that had the impact as the win over USC in the Rose Bowl.

Remember when we talk of Mack, that no other coach outside the SEC has won a BCS title since then. So if he has no legacy, then we are going to up $#@! creek when looking for the next head coach.

The game might have passed him by... But... When it comes to the kids, and ive said this in earlier posts, he lays the foundation, teaches the kid, and grooms them into fine young men. Mack understands the " texas tradition" almost better than anyone. A coach isnt just a coach to these kids, but a father figure, and no one has been better at it, than Mack.

Just remember, we have been almost scandal free during his tenure, and that says alot. I would be upset, if they didnt keep him in some capacity. But then again who am i.

Remember when we talk of Mack, that no other coach outside the SEC has won a BCS title since then. So if he has no legacy, then we are going to up $#@! creek when looking for the next head coach.

I have been watching Mack Brown and Greg Davis since their first year at Texas. And I watched the 2005 title game. Neither Brown nor Davis had ANYTHING to do with the win. NONE whatsoever. Greg Davis' pathetic, ultra-lame tactics and play calling put Texas at a huge disadvantage, even against mediocre teams. That Vince Young had to scramble so often in the game was more than enough proof of Mack Brown and Greg Davis' miserable failure in play design and play calling.

2005 belongs to Vince Young, Michael Huff (who stopped Lendale White on 4th and 1) and players like tight end David Thomas. I'd give credit to defense and defensive coordinators. But anyone who understands football and watched the 2005 will agree with me - Mack Brown and Greg Davis were a hurdle, not facilitator. USC was the better that night, but the players noticeably slacked off after a late 12 point lead in the 4th quarter. That helped, too.

How many Big 12 Conference championships has Brown won before and after joining Texas? (not worth finding out.)

I have been watching Mack Brown and Greg Davis since their first year at Texas. And I watched the 2005 title game. Neither Brown nor Davis had ANYTHING to do with the win. NONE whatsoever. Greg Davis' pathetic, ultra-lame tactics and play calling put Texas at a huge disadvantage, even against mediocre teams. That Vince Young had to scramble so often in the game was more than enough proof of Mack Brown and Greg Davis' miserable failure in play design and play calling.

2005 belongs to Vince Young, Michael Huff (who stopped Lendale White on 4th and 1) and players like tight end David Thomas. I'd give credit to defense and defensive coordinators. But anyone who understands football and watched the 2005 will agree with me - Mack Brown and Greg Davis were a hurdle, not facilitator. USC was the better that night, but the players noticeably slacked off after a late 12 point lead in the 4th quarter. That helped, too.

How many Big 12 Conference championships has Brown won before and after joining Texas? (not worth finding out.)

Mack Brown had nothing to do with the win? Who recruited those players who made the plays? I understand you are upset at Mack, but also remember Mack might well have won another BCS Title, had it not been for Colt McCoy going down.

He's had a bad couple of years, but let's not go bat shit crazy and say everything good, Mack had nothing to do with, but all the bad is on him.

and..winning the BCS title against USC was some kind of fluke? USC was better? USC kinda/sorta gave up and let the Longhorns win? Do you really want to go there?

Edited by beevomav

Mack Brown had nothing to do with the win?

Correct! In fact, I was being lenient. Brown had made the win MORE DIFFICULT - by being a lousy, clueless coach and by using that pathetic, ultra-lame offensive coordinator Greg Davis!!!!

Who recruited those players who made the plays?

LOL!!! By this very desperate statement, you proved my assessment of Mack Brown. I can't believe you are still using it because I have refuted such desperate spins countless times over the years, albeit in a different forum.

1) Definition of "coach": A coach is someone who gives instructions on a subject by virtue of his/her education, expertise, or experience. A coach trains athletes, prepares them for competitions, and directs them during competitions.

"Recruiting" is NOT part of the definition, nor is it part of any sensible criteria for evaluation of a coach's competence.

2) That you have to rely on "recruiting" for defense of Mack Brown means that you can't find any better, relevant ground to argue on the merits, i.e. his technical competence in coaching. Yes? I don't blame you for the failure, because Mack Brown has been utterly incompetent as a coach.

3) This "recruiting" defense cannot withstand scrutiny. In fact, it's plain laughable, because Mack Brown did nothing more than making Vince Young and other players an offer based on results of other coaches' training, other people's ratings, plus UT's name and vast resources as incentives. Ultimately, it's the players' decision to accept the offer. Mack Brown had no power to force the players to join. So saying Brown's "recruiting" helped Texas is no different than saying "player's consent to join" helped Texas.

4) Mack Brown had nothing to do with the players' good training in high school, nor their high school ratings, nor UT's name, nor UT's vast resources. He probably made some personal promises, but as far as coaching is concerned, those promises have been demonstrably false. Vince Young was already an excellent scrambler in high school - tall, strong, and fast. Not much had changed. None of the quarterbacks under Mack Brown and Greg Davis had shown any significant improvement in passing skills and reading the defense.

5) "Who recruited those players who made the plays?" --- Better questions would be: Who had given birth to those players who made the plays?? Who had given the proper physical and mental training to those recruits before Mack Brown learned about them?? Who made UT the large, resourceful institution with a big name? Who had built the nice stadiums in which players made the plays?? Who were untiringly cheering the players when they were making the plays?? Who were giving them food and water (proper nutrition) the month before the game?? Who safely flew them to California to play in the title game?? (you think Texas would have won if the plane had crashed?)

but also remember Mack might well have won another BCS Title, had it not been for Colt McCoy going down.

Sorry, this is nonsense and groundless speculation. I had said (on ESPN forum) before that game - having Colt McCoy as starting quarterback is like going to a duel with a toy pistol and that the best face-saving outcome would be a power outage for a few hours, and barring that, some injury as an excuse for losing the game.

Colt McCoy was never as good a quarterback as the fans had taken him to be. He's clumsy and fragile, and like his predecessors under Greg Davis, he's very prone to interceptions. I don't blame Colt, because he didn't have the proper mentor. Both Mack Brown and Greg Davis were less than useless in terms of coaching, game planning, and play calling.

He's had a bad couple of years, but let's not go bat $#@! crazy and say everything good, Mack had nothing to do with, but all the bad is on him.

A bad couple of years??? Mack Brown is being paid millions a year. Forget the BCS, how many Big 12 Conference titles has he won? Many coaches who were making a fraction of Brown's pay had won more conference titles in 5 years than Brown had in his entire life!!! The BCS ranking was heavily based on subjective human ratings. Texas was not only routinely overrated, but grossly overrated. Take 2013: Texas was ranked #15 preseason. Was there any legitimate basis for the ranking? Nada. Zippo. Zilch. Colt was lucky in that he was playing at a time when the Big 12 conference was relatively weak. Otherwise he would have been exposed a lot earlier.

and..winning the BCS title against USC was some kind of fluke? USC was better? USC kinda/sorta gave up and let the Longhorns win? Do you really want to go there?

I never said it was a fluke. I said the USC was the better team (coaches + players) that night but slacked off after gaining a 12 point lead late in the 4th quarter. USC players were obviously thinking that the game was pretty much over. You either didn't watch the game or don't quite understand football (it's OK, you don't need to understand football to be a fan). The USC offense was crisp. Matt was a fast and accurate passer, more so than Vince. USC's game plan and play calling were impressive, especially in view of the excellent defense Texas had (credits to Norm Chow; no credits to Mack Brown). You seriously think that Texas would have won the game had Vince Young not been an excellent scrambler? You seriously think that Vince was scrambling on purpose? Greg Davis' ultra-lame plays couldn't even fool Kansas and Oklahoma State, you think they could have worked on USC in 2005?

Edited by austinite

Correct! In fact, I was being lenient. Brown had made the win MORE DIFFICULT - by being a lousy, clueless coach and by using that pathetic, ultra-lame offensive coordinator Greg Davis!!!!

LOL!!! By this very desperate statement, you proved my assessment of Mack Brown. I can't believe you are still using it because I have refuted such desperate spins countless times over the years, albeit in a different forum.

1) Definition of "coach": A coach is someone who gives instructions on a subject by virtue of his/her education, expertise, or experience. A coach trains athletes, prepares them for competitions, and directs them during competitions.

"Recruiting" is NOT part of the definition, nor is it part of any sensible criteria for evaluation of a coach's competence.

2) That you have to rely on "recruiting" for defense of Mack Brown means that you can't find any better, relevant ground to argue on the merits, i.e. his technical competence in coaching. Yes? I don't blame you for the failure, because Mack Brown has been utterly incompetent as a coach.

3) This "recruiting" defense cannot withstand scrutiny. In fact, it's plain laughable, because Mack Brown did nothing more than making Vince Young and other players an offer based on results of other coaches' training, other people's ratings, plus UT's name and vast resources as incentives. Ultimately, it's the players' decision to accept the offer. Mack Brown had no power to force the players to join. So saying Brown's "recruiting" helped Texas is no different than saying "player's consent to join" helped Texas.

4) Mack Brown had nothing to do with the players' good training in high school, nor their high school ratings, nor UT's name, nor UT's vast resources. He probably made some personal promises, but as far as coaching is concerned, those promises have been demonstrably false. Vince Young was already an excellent scrambler in high school - tall, strong, and fast. Not much had changed. None of the quarterbacks under Mack Brown and Greg Davis had shown any significant improvement in passing skills and reading the defense.

5) "Who recruited those players who made the plays?" --- Better questions would be: Who had given birth to those players who made the plays?? Who had given the proper physical and mental training to those recruits before Mack Brown learned about them?? Who made UT the large, resourceful institution with a big name? Who had built the nice stadiums in which players made the plays?? Who were untiringly cheering the players when they were making the plays?? Who were giving them food and water (proper nutrition) the month before the game?? Who safely flew them to California to play in the title game?? (you think Texas would have won if the plane had crashed?)

Sorry, this is nonsense and groundless speculation. I had said (on ESPN forum) before that game - having Colt McCoy as starting quarterback is like going to a duel with a toy pistol and that the best face-saving outcome would be a power outage for a few hours, and barring that, some injury as an excuse for losing the game.

Colt McCoy was never as good a quarterback as the fans had taken him to be. He's clumsy and fragile, and like his predecessors under Greg Davis, he's very prone to interceptions. I don't blame Colt, because he didn't have the proper mentor. Both Mack Brown and Greg Davis were less than useless in terms of coaching, game planning, and play calling.

A bad couple of years??? Mack Brown is being paid millions a year. Forget the BCS, how many Big 12 Conference titles has he won? Many coaches who were making a fraction of Brown's pay had won more conference titles in 5 years than Brown had in his entire life!!! The BCS ranking was heavily based on subjective human ratings. Texas was not only routinely overrated, but grossly overrated. Take 2013: Texas was ranked #15 preseason. Was there any legitimate basis for the ranking? Nada. Zippo. Zilch. Colt was lucky in that he was playing at a time when the Big 12 conference was relatively weak. Otherwise he would have been exposed a lot earlier.

I never said it was a fluke. I said the USC was the better team (coaches + players) that night but slacked off after gaining a 12 point lead late in the 4th quarter. USC players were obviously thinking that the game was pretty much over. You either didn't watch the game or don't quite understand football (it's OK, you don't need to understand football to be a fan). The USC offense was crisp. Matt was a fast and accurate passer, more so than Vince. USC's game plan and play calling were impressive, especially in view of the excellent defense Texas had (credits to Norm Chow; no credits to Mack Brown). You seriously think that Texas would have won the game had Vince Young not been an excellent scrambler? You seriously think that Vince was scrambling on purpose? Greg Davis' ultra-lame plays couldn't even fool Kansas and Oklahoma State, you think they could have worked on USC in 2005?

You sound like a f##king Aggie, not a Texas fan. I'm out..

You sound like a $#@!ing Aggie, not a Texas fan. I'm out..

LOL. You are not out, but technically knocked out. No offense intended, but fans of Mack Brown or Greg Davis simply lack the necessary intellect to analyze the problems at Texas. There is a reason why Texas football has been so down the past 3-4 decades under DeLOSS dudd - too many clueless fans cheering for blunders of decision makers for no good reason besides the feeling that they should cheer for everything Texas, including brainless decisions.

LOL. You are not out, but technically knocked out. No offense intended, but fans of Mack Brown or Greg Davis simply lack the necessary intellect to analyze the problems at Texas. There is a reason why Texas football has been so down the past 3-4 decades under DeLOSS dudd - too many clueless fans cheering for blunders of decision makers for no good reason besides the feeling that they should cheer for everything Texas, including brainless decisions.

Knocked out..hardly..The post was about Mack doing the right thing and resigning..You turned into Greg Davis and trashed the 2005 team as lucky, even saying USC was the better team..

Clueless fans? I guess I am one of those. Better to be clueless than talk like a f##king Aggie.

Knocked out..hardly..The post was about Mack doing the right thing and resigning..You turned into Greg Davis and trashed the 2005 team as lucky, even saying USC was the better team..

Clueless fans? I guess I am one of those. Better to be clueless than talk like a $#@!ing Aggie.

Where did I trash the 2005 team? You must have scored very low on the SAT, especially in the reading comprehension section.

My post IS about Mack Brown - he is the head coach and it was HIS DECISION to hire Greg Davis the Impotent and keep him at Texas for 10+ years. That's part of the proof of Brown's incompetence.

Your Aggie spin is old and counterproductive - the aggies beat #1 Alabama last year and lost to Alabama (#1 again) by only 7 pts despite numerous mistakes this year. How did the horns do against the unranked BYU or the #25 Ole Miss, huh? I don't want to say it but you are just plain dumb, and you are embarrassing the university with your sheer lack of basic intellect in this discussion.

How would the horns have done against A&M if they had played last week with Mack Brown as the coach?

Get real, will ya.

You've got a lot to learn when it comes to "fansmanship".

Edited by austinite

Where did I trash the 2005 team? You must have scored very low on the SAT, especially in the reading comprehension section.

My post IS about Mack Brown - he is the head coach and it was HIS DECISION to hire Greg Davis the Impotent and keep him at Texas for 10+ years. That's part of the proof of Brown's incompetence.

Your Aggie spin is old and counterproductive - the aggies beat #1 Alabama last year and lost to Alabama (#1 again) by only 7 pts despite numerous mistakes this year. How did the horns do against the unranked BYU or the #25 Ole Miss, huh? I don't want to say it but you are just plain dumb, and you are embarrassing the university with your sheer lack of basic intellect in this discussion.

How would the horns have done against A&M if they had played last week with Mack Brown as the coach?

Get real, will ya.

You've got a lot to learn when it comes to "fansmanship".

Good for you. Glad you are an Agie fan, because you suck at being a Longhorn fan.

Good for you. Glad you are an Agie fan, because you suck at being a Longhorn fan.

I can assure you that fans of other Big 12 schools (esp. the Sooners) would love to see Mack Brown and DeLOSS dudd stay at Texas forever. Why not? Texas under Mack Brown couldn't even beat Baylor and Iowa State. So I have a much better case calling you an okie or aggie than you do calling me. Your support for Mack Brown is harming Texas, understand?

I can assure you that fans of other Big 12 schools (esp. the Sooners) would love to see Mack Brown and DeLOSS dudd stay at Texas forever. Why not? Texas under Mack Brown couldn't even beat Baylor and Iowa State. So I have a much better case calling you an okie or aggie than you do calling me. Your support for Mack Brown is harming Texas, understand?

You have been here, what two days? The post was about Brown leaving before he totally destroys his legacy, not pat him on the back. I don't like anyone putting words in my mouth, like you trying to link DeLoss and Davis to this post. If you took the time to read more, you might understand Mack has little to no support at this site or with Longhorn nation.

A lot of us do, however, have respect for the man. Seems respect is something you were never taught or forgot. Either way, unless you want to pick a fight on a regular basis, I suggest you learn some.

You have been here, what two days? The post was about Brown leaving before he totally destroys his legacy, not pat him on the back. I don't like anyone putting words in my mouth, like you trying to link DeLoss and Davis to this post. If you took the time to read more, you might understand Mack has little to no support at this site or with Longhorn nation.

A lot of us do, however, have respect for the man. Seems respect is something you were never taught or forgot. Either way, unless you want to pick a fight on a regular basis, I suggest you learn some.

LOL. "about Brown leaving before he totally destroy his legacy"??? LOL. What legacy? That's your way of saying Brown has actually accomplished something as a coach. What is it? I can remember vividly OU 63 - Tex 14 and OU 65 - Tex 13. The OU 65 - Tex 21 last year must also be part of your so-called Mack Brown's legacy? How the hell can one possibly destroy that? By losing to OU 650-21????

One more time, You tried to defend Brown. I refuted your reasoning by listing Mack Brown's failures, including his hiring of Greg Davis the Impotent.

As for DeLOSSY Dudd, his blunders as AD are certainly more relevant than your "aggie" labels.

LOL. "about Brown leaving before he totally destroy his legacy"??? LOL. What legacy? That's your way of saying Brown has actually accomplished something as a coach. What is it? I can remember vividly OU 63 - Tex 14 and OU 65 - Tex 13. The OU 65 - Tex 21 last year must also be part of your so-called Mack Brown's legacy? How the hell can one possibly destroy that? By losing to OU 650-21????

One more time, You tried to defend Brown. I refuted your reasoning by listing Mack Brown's failures, including his hiring of Greg Davis the Impotent.

As for DeLOSSY Dudd, his blunders as AD are certainly more relevant than your "aggie" labels.

Gig em..