Bad to Worse

Ouch! My sympathy. We're getting a new hvac system installed as ours is approaching 20 years old, but waiting until after this heat wave passes. Others need the a/c guys right now more than we do. 

7 hours ago, Brad Usrey said:

It  is bearable with a functioning AC @ 107 but when goes like mine did @2:00AM on weekend or least when noticed. Inside still work but outside unit is another story. 

Beware, a lot of ac companies will deem your unit unfit and try to sell you a new one for $7K or so.

You may actually only need to replace a component on the AC, such as a compressor, for a few hundred bucks.

Had this happen to me. Got a second opinion and instead of paying $7K, I paid $300 for a new compressor.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Beware, a lot of ac companies will deem your unit unfit and try to sell you a new one for $7K or so.

You may actually only need to replace a component on the AC, such as a compressor, for a few hundred bucks.

Had this happen to me. Got a second opinion and instead of paying $7K, I paid $300 for a new compressor.

Same happened to me only he wanted $13,000 to replace it. I called a friend who recommended a guy who did the work for $250. It helps to know a guy who knows a guy.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:35 PM, TB14 said:

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Had tech come over,he said was freezing cause freon leak. Was out freon,said he used his last on Friday ,co worker grabbed last bottle . Not suppose get any in til Monday.

Get ready for new government regulations regarding a/c refrigerant.

From what I've been hearing, the new refrigerant will be propane. Warranties on units containing r32 or r401a will still be honored, but all new units will use propane. Highly flammable, requiring explosion protection and therefore more costly.

Don't know how accurate that info is, but that's what I've heard. I guess if they can't figure out how to get solar cooling, it'll have to be wind generated...oh, wait, that's what we had 80 years ago when I was a kid...window fans. 

40 minutes ago, Brad Usrey said:

Had tech come over,he said was freezing cause freon leak. Was out freon,said he used his last on Friday ,co worker grabbed last bottle . Not suppose get any in til Monday.

I had a leak on my unit three years ago. Tech tried to convince me I needed a new unit. I asked about an additive that would stop the leak and he said it probably wouldn't last a year.

It's been three now without a leak, but my unit is 20 years old and I want to get ahead of the new government regulations. 

I’ve thought about A/C & being without it during this heatwave.

We didn’t have A/C when I was a little kid, but we got 1st one unit then another.  My dad never liked A/C but mama loved it.

Now, most houses are built without cross ventilation, and even if they had it most people wouldn’t feel safe with windows open.

Ive tried to get used to a 75 degree temp this summer.  Now school is cold, but not in a good way.

11 minutes ago, java said:

Now, most houses are built without cross ventilation, and even if they had it most people wouldn’t feel safe with windows open.

Ive tried to get used to a 75 degree temp this summer.  Now school is cold, but not in a good way.

We latched a screen door, but the main door remained open for a breeze, if there was any. We felt safe in our small town. 

19 hours ago, UTfish said:

We latched a screen door, but the main door remained open for a breeze, if there was any. We felt safe in our small town. 

I’m sure you did.  We always felt safe in our small town.  It didn’t hurt that Daddy had a 30-30, a 243, a 270, a 20 gauge, various 22’s, etc.

Our alarm system was 2 little fox terriers.  They lived in our backyard, but usually stayed on our patio at night. Then, my brother got several hunting dogs!  They had their own setup, and they did not get loose in the backyard.

I used to go running in Houston around Rice University with my first Aussie, at night.  I could take her off leash, and she stayed right with me.  I felt very safe, but I didn’t go when no one else was out.

She was a great protector.  The young female I have now is too.  The male is everyone’s buddy.

I understand bad to worse. Last Thursday my Dodge Ram had an error message. I took it to Dodge dealer in Mineola. On Friday find water leak from shut-off valve to house. Spent several hours in the heat repairing leak. On Saturday the AC went out. Called the dealer who installed unit. They said they would be at house on Monday. We spent night at hotel last night because inside temperature was 88 degrees and climbing. Called AC company this morning. They said they don't service this area. 😡 I told them I have service agreement. They said they are swamped and can't service area. Things finally got better. I was fortunate to find AC dealer in Sulphur Springs. They were here less than two hours.  Here is a shout out to Ken's Heat & Air. Got my truck back today with no charge with malfunction being under warranty. 

PS - The AC company in Lindale hasn't heard the last of this. As Doc Holiday said, "It's not revenge he  wants it's a reckoning." 

Here's how my luck has been running lately . . . 

1. I smoked a brisket about two weeks ago. As I am sitting there watching my dogs, I noticed I could see the fire in the bottom of the pit. The bottom had rotted out. No more smoker/grill.

2. The dishwasher goes out. We replace it.

3. The deep freeze goes out. We replace it.

4. The fridge/freezer went out. We replace it.

5. Wife gets hit from behind, totals her car. Insurance replaced it.

Thats been my last two weeks.

39 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here's how my luck has been running lately . . . 

1. I smoked a brisket about two weeks ago. As I am sitting there watching my dogs, I noticed I could see the fire in the bottom of the pit. The bottom had rotted out. No more smoker/grill.

2. The dishwasher goes out. We replace it.

3. The deep freeze goes out. We replace it.

4. The fridge/freezer went out. We replace it.

5. Wife gets hit from behind, totals her car. Insurance replaced it.

Thats been my last two weeks.

For you, my friend:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-IIKE9p5SEw&feature=share

On 8/20/2023 at 11:34 PM, java said:

I’ve thought about A/C & being without it during this heatwave.

We didn’t have A/C when I was a little kid, but we got 1st one unit then another.  My dad never liked A/C but mama loved it.

I could make it with just fans but other h AC LG is different story