Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Chris Beard Fired

To me Ivy is interesting. He is one of my favorite Longhorn players of all time. He has credibility as a player and coach at multiple levels. I would think he could recruit well. Loves UT. Did he get an interview last time around?

16 hours ago, TexCoyote said:

I just listened to this basketball radio deal thing with two basketball writers. They knew Beard well and indicated they knew it would end up fired.

Anyway names they mentioned:

Jerome Tang KSt

Brad Underwood Illinois 

Musselman Arkansas 

Bruce Pearl Auburn 

Nate Oats Alabama 

Chris Holtmann Ohio St

Ed Cooley Providence 

I like Scott Drew (Baylor) and Nate Oats (Bama).

19 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Wow. I guess there was just no getting through this for him. It is highly disappointing as I think we all thought we finally had our head coach. 

Do we go get another big name/winner or do we stay put with Rodney Terry?

Agree.

38 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I like Scott Drew (Baylor) and Nate Oats (Bama).

Agree.

Yeah I like Drew and Oats as well. They would be extremely hard to get if not impossible. I mean people say money whip them but Texas isn’t going to pay more for a basketball coach than they pay a football coach so there is a limit on what CDC is going to pay. Oat’s just got extended out to 2027 with I’m sure a nice fat raise. Texas is saving alot of money by not paying Beard 5 1/2 years but will they do it? I wish we could get something done sooner rather than later to try to keep what players and recruits we have. I just don’t see anything happening mid season. Going to be interesting. 

1 hour ago, TexCoyote said:

Yeah I like Drew and Oats as well. They would be extremely hard to get if not impossible. I mean people say money whip them but Texas isn’t going to pay more for a basketball coach than they pay a football coach so there is a limit on what CDC is going to pay. Oat’s just got extended out to 2027 with I’m sure a nice fat raise. Texas is saving alot of money by not paying Beard 5 1/2 years but will they do it? I wish we could get something done sooner rather than later to try to keep what players and recruits we have. I just don’t see anything happening mid season. Going to be interesting. 

Well, you'll never hit the ball if you don't swing the bat!

Guess we'll just have to see how the season plays out.

Beard's firing happened quite suddenly considering how quiet things were from the University. I'm wondering where the pressure to fire him now came from. Was it related to the announcement that a hearing had been set, which coincidentally occurred the same day? Or was it that the incredibly woke crowd at UT forced this?

Thinking about the incident, I would be willing to bet both were inebriated. Why else would a grown man bite someone? Unless you are a loose cannon, which Beard might be considering some of his fireside chats.

Regardless, this all sucks. I had no doubt Texas was on track to become a BBall powerhouse. Rodney Terry just doesn't give me any confidence considering his record as a head coach. I hope I am wrong.

21 minutes ago, Baron said:

Beard's firing happened quite suddenly considering how quiet things were from the University. I'm wondering where the pressure to fire him now came from. Was it related to the announcement that a hearing had been set, which coincidentally occurred the same day? Or was it that the incredibly woke crowd at UT forced this?

Thinking about the incident, I would be willing to bet both were inebriated. Why else would a grown man bite someone? Unless you are a loose cannon, which Beard might be considering some of his fireside chats.

Regardless, this all sucks. I had no doubt Texas was on track to become a BBall powerhouse. Rodney Terry just doesn't give me any confidence considering his record as a head coach. I hope I am wrong.

The University didn't question Beard or his fiance,  but I think it's safe to assume they had a very active investigation going on behind the scenes that started soon after the incident. I think it's also safe to assume that that investigation uncovered some kind of history,  or unsavory pattern of behavior that the University didn't feel like they could overlook.  

I wouldn't expect an investigation of this type to be public, so to expect that the public would be informed about the investigation status or progress isn't realistic.  Just because things seeming quite between the incident and the firing, isn't a reason to believe the decision was sudden and based on some knee jerk decision process. 

14 minutes ago, dssl said:

The University didn't question Beard or his fiance,  but I think it's safe to assume they had a very active investigation going on behind the scenes that started soon after the incident. I think it's also safe to assume that that investigation uncovered some kind of history,  or unsavory pattern of behavior that the University didn't feel like they could overlook.  

I wouldn't expect an investigation of this type to be public, so to expect that the public would be informed about the investigation status or progress isn't realistic.  Just because things seeming quite between the incident and the firing, isn't a reason to believe the decision was sudden and based on some knee jerk decision process. 

Why not? It seems the jury of public opinion has sentenced him to termination. UT is not a private institution. They are subsidized by the taxpayers of the State of Texas and donors. FOIA requests are going to make life miserable for the UT legal department. I'm not a lawyer but I do have a good sense of right and wrong and this doesn't smell right.

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Why not? It seems the jury of public opinion has sentenced him to termination. UT is not a private institution. They are subsidized by the taxpayers of the State of Texas and donors. FOIA requests are going to make life miserable for the UT legal department. I'm not a lawyer but I do have a good sense of right and wrong and this doesn't smell right.

I'm not sure any good comes out of making the results of the investigation that dives into Beards personal conduct public. I'm also not a lawyer and don't know about what an inevitable FOIA request will reveal. 

Maybe I'm naive,  but I don't share your skepticism about this process.  It seems to me that Beard has been very successful coach and that CDC would have kept him if the investigation had not found something too troubling to overlook. 

16 minutes ago, dssl said:

I'm not sure any good comes out of making the results of the investigation that dives into Beards personal conduct public. I'm also not a lawyer and don't know about what an inevitable FOIA request will reveal. 

Maybe I'm naive,  but I don't share your skepticism about this process.  It seems to me that Beard has been very successful coach and that CDC would have kept him if the investigation had not found something too troubling to overlook. 

The more I read, the more I think the ,woke, me too movement has played a part in this. Look at the men's soccer national team coach. He is getting taken to the woodshed for a simple accusation that happened years ago. 

1 hour ago, Baron said:

The more I read, the more I think the ,woke, me too movement has played a part in this. Look at the men's soccer national team coach. He is getting taken to the woodshed for a simple accusation that happened years ago. 

What is "woke" or "me too" about a university not tolerating a head coach who engages in some sort of domestic disturbance that leads to his arrest?

The initial police report made it seem like this was inevitable and the only positive development was his fiance's statement that walked back some of the initial claims but didn't go as far as to say Beard was innocent in the matter. Mind you, it was the best statement that Beard's lawyer could have her make. 

1 hour ago, Eastexhorn said:

What is the date of court hearing. Why not wait to see results of a hearing

Could not been too much of a investergation if suspect and accuser were not questioned.

Here's the problem. The girl friend gave an initial statement that was pretty detailed and pretty damning. The Austin PD had also gathered evidence from the scene, including photos of the wounds, scratches, etc., left behind in the incident.

Once 911 was called, and then the girlfriend singing like a bird – it was over. The last piece of evidence being that APD saw enough that they decided to make an arrest.

I realize in criminal law, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately for Beard, it didn't matter if a trial found him not guilty or never happened at all. The damage was done. Texas had to do something here. This would have a ripple effect for years, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Here's the problem. The girl friend gave an initial statement that was pretty detailed and pretty damning. The Austin PD had also gathered evidence from the scene, including photos of the wounds, scratches, etc., left behind in the incident.

Once 911 was called, and then the girlfriend singing like a bird – it was over. The last piece of evidence being that APD saw enough that they decided to make an arrest.

I realize in criminal law, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Unfortunately for Beard, it didn't matter if a trial found him not guilty or never happened at all. The damage was done. Texas had to do something here. This would have a ripple effect for years, IMO.

This, 100%

The threshold of "conduct detrimental to the university" is much different than the threshold of being convicted for domestic abuse.

I'm going to throw this name out there as a potential replacement for Chris Beard -- Bruce Pearl. The enthusiasm he would bring not just to the men's basketball program but to all the sports programs would be incredible. Hell, he attended Tennessee softball games back in the day and sat out in the outfield shirtless with the fans. 

9 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I agree mostly.  But suspect that if the Universities investigation had found this to be a single event that was completely out of character with any past behavior then they could have found a way forward. 

If the firing was only based on the police report then the University shouldn't have waited so long to fire him.

21 hours ago, Billybass said:

Hell, if you are going after Drew, why not Bill Self ?

Kansas to Texas in basketball is a step down, maybe even a couple. I don't see Texas paying someone more than $10M a year (which is what Self makes) to coach basketball in a football state.

Scott Drew makes less than $3M and Nate Oates makes ~$3.25M. As a lot of people on this board always say, do the math.

13 hours ago, Baron said:

With Beard, the damage was done that night.

The soccer stuff is baffling since it happened in 1991 if I remember correctly. I have read a lot of it cause I don't care for soccer but I agree that appears to be Woke.

12 hours ago, BWilk55 said:

This, 100%

The threshold of "conduct detrimental to the university" is much different than the threshold of being convicted for domestic abuse.

Sorry, it just has to be more black and white to me. Innocent until proven guilty is one of the foundational constructs of this country. I believe The Constitution and The Bill of Rights is the greatest document mankind has ever written. But I guess that's just me. We will have to agree to disagree. Peace and Hook'em!

The dude choked his fiance. She reported like she should have. Once she realized the ramifications, she tried to walk it back, which she should not have done. Any man who puts his hands on a woman for any reason other than a life or death situation is a POS and should pay a heavy price. He did it. And he's probably done it before. He does not need to be a representative of the University of Texas.

8 hours ago, Baron said:

Sorry, it just has to be more black and white to me. Innocent until proven guilty is one of the foundational constructs of this country. I believe The Constitution and The Bill of Rights is the greatest document mankind has ever written. But I guess that's just me. We will have to agree to disagree. Peace and Hook'em!

Beard is guilty of conduct detrimental to the university, is he not? That is not a crime but it is a breach of his contract. This is not a charge that gets taken up by a judge and jury but rather, the university itself and they concluded he was guilty.