Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

January landscapes – What we do now sets the tone for the whole growing season!

10 minutes ago, gmcc said:

I got one of Dixondale farm's catalogs but have not been able to find an onion called Dixie Belles.  When I google Dixie Belles i get some info. on Paint.  Could the Belles have a slightly different name? I did plant two double rows of the Ledgens and Red river reds.

My mistake some how started calling them Dixie Belles, listed in catalog as Southern Belles,page three.

Both varites of onions you planted are good keepers will last several months. Sorry for misname (havent looked at catalog in a long while) Luck with you crop of onions.

19 minutes ago, gmcc said:

I got one of Dixondale farm's catalogs but have not been able to find an onion called Dixie Belles.  When I google Dixie Belles i get some info. on Paint.  Could the Belles have a slightly different name? I did plant two double rows of the Ledgens and Red river reds.

My mistake yes they are listed as Southern Belles. The Red Rivers are better keepers ut local feed store does not stock them Luck with your onions.

6 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

Yes it will spread as onions grow uniformally. Hi-Yield are good products , Sheldon brothers feature them . Local seed and feed ( bothA&M grads)

Ammonium Sulfate is 21-0-0 alittle stronger. I use to use 13-13-13 under the onions doubt if changing made a difference. But something did.

After first year of this method bosssaid this is the way we do it.

I sugest you try it could be a 3-4 ft row.

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. I'll stop by and see if my feed store has it.

Yeah, I use Hi Yield products all the time. Our weed/feed is Fertilome products (Hi Yield).

1 hour ago, Baron said:

@Sirhornsalot

There is a small tree or large shrub that produces small red berries in the winter and is indigenous here in the hill country. Is there a name for it and is it sold commercially? The color is striking in a winter landscape.

That sounds like a Sumac Tree. They are native to more than half the state. There are several varieties.

Fall color of Sumac tree, below.

image.jpeg.1b1c247450603466e192f0afe7faa502.jpeg

Berries from a Sumac tree

image.thumb.jpeg.634bd26d2d97e2e2cc5113bb8d4df974.jpeg

They are not commonly sold in nurseries, however, there are some here and there that do. The easiest thing to do would be to transplant one from the wild. They transplant fairly easily.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

That sounds like a Sumac Tree. They are native to more than half the state. There are several varieties.

Fall color of Sumac tree, below.

image.jpeg.1b1c247450603466e192f0afe7faa502.jpeg

Berries from a Sumac tree

image.thumb.jpeg.634bd26d2d97e2e2cc5113bb8d4df974.jpeg

They are not commonly sold in nurseries, however, there are some here and there that do. The easiest thing to do would be to transplant one from the wild. They transplant fairly easily.

Well that's a double color. I would have to tresspass, barbed wire is hard to cover.

I just completed the USDA census/survey. It was a waste of 30 minutes of my life. 150-200 questions that should only be applied to commercial operations.

Be prepared private landowners, the EPA is coming after all of us. They are definitely following the California model, regulation of water flow (with fines or seizure for/of "navigable" waterways) and soon to come, restrictions of cleaning dead fall from your property.